• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Does anyone know ...

TwinkleTwinkle

A Very Happy Bunny
Hi, This may seem an odd question but I thought I knew most of what i needed to know to have the bypass but now I see some people talking about duodenal switch. Can anyone tell me how this compares to the bypass & if it is available on the NHS. Just like to know as much as poss ...:eek:

duodenal switch is a much bigger op. the main component being malabsorption,MEANS TAKING LOTS AND LOTS of vitamins and suppliments. dont know if they do it on the nhs but i think your bmi needs to be >50 for a private consultant to even think about it.
I thought about having this done when i first looked into surgery. i went for a consultation in birmingham and the surgeon wouldnt consider it and suggeted bypass. went for another consulataion in manchester and heared about sleeve gastrectomy, had this done 18 mths ago and have since lost 71/2 stone. best thing i ever did. hope this helps

I know in my area they only talked about band / bypass. Sleeve wasn't even mentioned. (NHS)

No, only just had my surgeon consult. Pre op assessment on 19/09 so a way to go yet ... just curious as I said when I saw the term on here as I am diabetic & see it also help this as well as the bypass.

I was offered the switch and considered it for a while but I was told I'd have to be quite strict and organised as to when I should eat which I felt would take any spontaneity out of life so I went with the bypass instead. Although I take supplements now I would have had to take a lot more with the switch. I also decided that as the surgeon performs more bypasses, he'd have more experience at them and would make more of a better job of my bypass etc

As far as I know, some people have had the DS on the NHS.

While the DS is a much more technical operation, there are many positives. I'll PM you with a site which will really explain the Duodenal Switch.

If memory serves me right ThinnerAngela a member on here had the DS, but i might be wrong. There are a few switchers on here xx

No, only just had my surgeon consult. Pre op assessment on 19/09 so a way to go yet ... just curious as I said when I saw the term on here as I am diabetic & see it also help this as well as the bypass.

the gastric sleeve works also with us diabetics ;) i had the choice bypass/sleeve ...........i chose bypass which i'm having next tuesday

Back