• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Eating Out?

truffle♥

Hi there i have a question for you experienced banders, can i still enjoy a meal out along the road?
I really enjoy eating out and want to be able to look forward to it post -op ( a new sensible approach). So i was wondering what sort of stuff folks eat when they go out for example:

do you order a full meal?
what sort of syuff do you eat for example in an indian or thai resturant.
Im sure you all get my drift :eek:

I ate out for the first time 2 weeks ago,we went to a greek place and I ordered a main meal while everyone else had 3 courses,I managed 2 bits of chicken and a small salad and I was stuffed so next time I'm just gonna get a kids meal or a starter but yes u can defo eat out xx

I have found that most places will let you order a kids meal or starter either of which I still find too much xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

edited as I've just reread that you've asked banders lol

Indian or Thai ... I am ok with meat, so I have starter size koftas or skewers with either a side salad or a vegetable / lentil side dish. Protein first always. If eating out, I sometimes share a lovely desert with my oh...if I have space, but more often than not, I really don't fancy one anymore :sigh:

Yes you can eat out, I do regularly. Just a word of warning though, my experience has been that its a lot less 'stressful' if you go somewhere familiar with someone who knows you have had the band - at least at first.

Post op it can make you a bit anxious eating away from home which can make the band tighter. Take your time and chose things you enjoy, if you are worried about leaving food take a container to take the leftovers home.

The sort of things I have are:

Normal pub type meal - salmon salad / ceaser salad
Indian - curry without rice (can eat just over half and maybe 1 popadom)
Thai - one my favourites, hot and sour soup plus (again around half) of any main dish I fancy

I was advised to avoid rice and pasta post op which has worked well for me, I used to eat far too much of it pre op. I dont miss them at all!

Good luck, not long now! xx

Oh yes, popppadums and yoghurt go down easily :D

Hi there

Yes I go out for meals from time to time. If the company I am with have a starter I tend to have a drink (fitting in with the drinking rule) and when they order their main meal I tend to order a starter ( unless there is a main meal I fancy and I will order that and eat what ever I can) . This will fill me up and I do not have an afters. The variety of food depends where I go . If I go to local carvery I will have either have prawn cocktail / fish cakes or chicken strips. If I go to an indian I will have Buffett and I will have a small amount of sag aloo with some chicken curry ( no rice or bread) or if I go for chinese I have crabmeat and sweetcorn soup and that does me as well. Wishing you all the best - Julie xx

P.S If your worried about foods sticking or making u vomit etc I would recommend you trying these foods at home until your comfortable eating them in public, fretting about whether the foods gonna stay down will cause your band to tighten with worry. xxx

Thanks for the very informative replies ladies, i think when the time comes i will definately have some 'trial runs' at home to make make sure i can actually eat it.
xx

Eat slowly, have plenty of sauce! Eating slowly helps with others not noticing how much you are eating too I find :) I went to a Brazilian all you can eat steakhouse (they bring the meat to the table) and no one noticed I only had a bit of some things as I ate so slowly. When I've been to an Indian restaurant I've had a few bits of chicken with lots of sauce and was fine. Obviously fat and calorie wise you can't do that everyday but once in a while nom nom what a treat :) x

Let's just say the BBQ ribs I had in my hotel last night slipped down perfectly. I Have eaten out throughout my journey but id avoid kids meals as they just aren't healthy usually. Starters are the best option as a trial!

Back