• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Ellies journey so far!

HI - had my sleep study done by taking a machine home and sleeping with it attached to me for one night - that was at a different hospital as well. I think that it is because one of the extras needed for wls if not super obese is obstructive sleep apnoea.
I know the waiting is a pain but I can tell you from Shaw Somers Dietician - Denise Thomas who was at our support group last sat that the list is now re-opened.
Good luck with everthing x

Thanks Dodsie for your encouraging reply, I have to attend at 10pm and then I am discharged at 7 am the next morning. I did ask about doing it at home but she said that I need to be there for the full sleep study.

Great news about the list being re-opened!!!

HI - had my sleep study done by taking a machine home and sleeping with it attached to me for one night - that was at a different hospital as well. I think that it is because one of the extras needed for wls if not super obese is obstructive sleep apnoea.
I know the waiting is a pain but I can tell you from Shaw Somers Dietician - Denise Thomas who was at our support group last sat that the list is now re-opened.
Good luck with everthing x

Hi... thats interesting as I have recieved my funding letter & it states that the waiting list is still closed.

My GP won't refer me there as the letter says its still closed. When I phoned them today they told me if I wasn't on the list it would be down to the pct choices. Bummer!!!!

when i got my letter last year i was told the list was closed too and my options were to wait and reapply in november or apply to charing cross in london....a week or so later my doctor went to request application to charing cross and then the day after his letter was sent i got accepted at st richards and was booked in for a 2nd consultation session with Tim John (i had paid for a private consultation earlier in May with Shaw Somers as i was originally told by my GP i would not get funding)

hang in there and you may get the letter soon anyways

Hi everyone - def the list was closed - I was one of the last few - had my op 30 dec 09.
Denise Thomas is Shaws senior dietician and they were only told late on Friday (19th) that it had been reopened. Dont know if they are only on catch up but it was a really reliable source.
May pay you to give Shaws sec a call at St Richards try:
01243 788122 i think the xtn is 1655.
wishing you lots of luck xx

My sleep study has been cancelled for now on the 6th April but I am going to collect the oximetry finger clip to do a test for 48 hrs at home next week on the 10th March. :D

Bet you wish they'd make their minds up !

Yes I do Miss T it gets me soooo down I keep wondering if I will ever get to St Richards.

sleep study

Things are moving..........

The sleep clinic had called with a cancellation on Tues so I went to see the consultant in the afternoon and then went back for the sleep study that same night. I am now using the CPAP machine at home.

Still using the CPAP machine, actually its not that bad helps me sleep at night and I am much more rested in the mornings when I wake.:)

Went to my GP and she ordered some tests for me and I have been diagnosed with having Diabetes and an underactive thyroid. :eek:

Hi Ellie I too use a cpap machine. I know what you are going through with all the waiting it is a killer. Sorry to hear your recent diagnosis too. Take care.

Hi Ellie if you hadn't got your funding i'd have congratulated you on the diabetes as this would have guaranteed funding, but you don't need it so am very sad for you....

Are you type 2 diabetic the same as me? If so it's not all doom n gloom as the bypass should be kind to both of us....

Keep your chin up girl, if i can offer anyone any advice while waiting for op dates (like me) it would be this... Take your eyes off the calendar, that don't mean become ignorant to the date - Just stop making it your every thought of the day. The time has passed very quickly for me since i stopped watching for my pre op date to come and it is now only a little over two weeks away...

Good luck girl and keep on being positive x

Thanks there Julie, I think I am type 2 starting on 1 metformin a day and build up to 1 tablet 3 times a day.

Im feeling a bit cheesed off as I started my WLS journey before my sister, and low and behold she has got her appointment for the Bariatrics team this week at St Richards, naturally im going with her, in fact we are leaving the day before and having a night in Chichester. Dont get me wrong I am happy for her, we are very close but cant help feeling that I started all this before her and she is way ahead of me now! Am I being selfish???

Oh that's all so frustrating Ellie. Don't get down though it WILL all come together in the end x

Thanks Lisa im sure it will, at least I will know what to expect when I eventually get called up xxx

Back