• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi from East Sussex

Twix888

Hi everyone. Not sure what to write my head is so full of questions. I have just been told by my doctor that my funding has been approved. We talked about hospitals and I chose St Richards in Chichester.
I was wondering if anyone has some advice on what happens next and how long things take.

Hi Twix :) well done on getting funded you must be so pleased , the pct sent me a letter with choices of three hospitals and i returned that then they sent appt letter to go to group meeting which has film of ops and dietician talks about the choices and what's best for you , i had photos taken and blood tests then a chat with consultant about my choice and whether he thought i had made right choice i didn't have to have any other tests as had sleep aponea done previously and didn't need psychiatrist so was all ok to go ahead and then had to meet a few weeks later with consultant who was doing op and his aneathetist dietician and he gave me a date then :)
you may find things different to this but this is just my experience and i had a duodenal switch in november and don't regret it one bit :)
good luck and i'm sure there will be plenty of advise about your hospital and surgeon etc

Hi Angie
I am very excited and a little scared. Well done losing so much weight you look great in your picture.

Hi Twix welcome and congratulations on your funding your on your way to a new life now

Welcome Twix, I'm from East Sussex also and I had my op done at St Richards :)
The hospital and staff are wonderful and your op date will come around sooner than you think, they are very efficient!

Hi Twix and welcome. I also had my op at St. Richards, you will be in good hands. Great hospital with wonderful staff. Congratulations on getting your funding, hopefully you will hear something soon :) x

Hi twix and welcome, hope you don't have to wait too long! Keep us posted on your journey xxx

Hi Twix, congrats on getting your funding :)
Hope you don't have to wait too long for your op.
Em xxxx

Hi Twix, Welcome to the site. I am due to have a bypass at St Richards on 14th Aug. The process is very quick and from what I have seen so far the staff are all lovely. Good luck hope you hear soon.

Hi Emma
How long did you have to wait for your first appointment and what happened on the day. Are you having to do the milk diet for two weeks. Sorry lots of questions :).

Hi Twix.

Im also in East Sussex - in Lewes.

I went to St Richards in Chichester too - had my surgery for a Gastric Band done in April 2012. So not long ago. Ive lost 48lbs so far - and im loving it.

The staff at the loxwood centre are fabulous. The surgeons are all friendly. And the chichester suite is where the ward is that you go for the operation - and wow, what a place...facilities are very good, nurses are so attentive, and you feel so relaxed as everything gets explained to you, and your so looked after.

If you want any other info, let me know, Ill be good to ask the know-hows and stuff as we are down for the same place :) x

Hi Bluebutterflier
Well done 48lbs I bet you have a smile on your face all the time. You must feel so much better on days like to day with this heat.
Can you remember how long you had to wait from your doctor referring you to St Richards and your first appointment and what happened on that day :)

Hi Bluebutterflier
Well done 48lbs I bet you have a smile on your face all the time. You must feel so much better on days like to day with this heat.
Can you remember how long you had to wait from your doctor referring you to St Richards and your first appointment and what happened on that day :)

What I did is make a file of all the letters etc....(this is a great thing as its easier to find things when at the hospital etc)....Just copying from it now...

2nd November 2011 - Letter stating that my GP has referred me and that I have to complete a questionaire and return within 2 weeks. (its a food diary, to show what you eat etc).

6th January 2012 - This was the day that I went to the Loxwood centre and had to meet like 6 people in different offices...all doors are next to each other, so dont worry. Its a system - you see a nurse first, discuss what option is best for you - band or bypass or sleeve etc...Then you see a dietician to talk about foods, then you see a psychologist to see if you mentally are ready. Then I think someone else, I forgot lol, sorry. Then you go away for lunch for 2hrs, come back and your called in by a surgeon and told if your being done or not, and what option is best. They talk you through it all and then you leave knowing if you got it or not.

28th March 2012 - Got a letter confirming everything and when my surgery was to take place- 17th April 2012.

3rd April 2012 - Started my Milk diet - mostly had crusha no added sugar in my milk, as I dont like the taste of milk, and no added sugar jelly and one kind of salty thing -ie: bovril, oxo, marmite or stock cube. (this is their diet for the band, if your going for another kind of surgery it may be a different pre-op diet.)

17th April 2012 - My surgery - Got there at like 8am in the morning, took an overnight bag. Registered in, got taken to a private room (even though im NHS) and got told to change into a gown. Had various people come in and check weight, things like that. then 11am was my surgery, was out by 3pm in the ward, as I was in recovery a long time on morphine lol
By 6pm, as I was walking about, had eaten and been to the loo, the surgeon came out and said I could go home if I wanted too, as he knew I had a partner and would be careful, so I left and was home. Not much pain, just discomfort.

22nd May 2012 - my first fill - not that painful, just a needle into my port.

3rd July 2012 - my second fill

So thats been my journey - you can see it happens all within 6 months of the original referral....

So quite a quick route if you ask me.

Thanks Bluebutterflier
yes it does sound very quick and seeing everyone on the first visit is such a good way to do things. fingers crossed I might be doing my own weight loss diary by christmas. Am nervous but cant wait :)

Twix,

Have you decided what surgery is best for you? Do some research on the differences of the Band, Sleeve, Bipass....

Its all dependant on your weight, what you crave for- if your a chocoholic, cake person etc...

My bad things are cakes, biscuits, crisps....since ive had the band, I cant eat cake as it swells, crisps hurt unless they are maize based, ie: frazzles. I still eat crisps but they are low calorie, under 100 calories a pack - usually snack a jacks or velvet crunch.
Biscuits can hurt, so Ive cut them out.

Dont really eat chocolates or sweets, unless im due on my period, then maybe one small bar. So the band is the better choice for me.

I think i will go for the bypass if given the choice.
Have read so much about all and think that would be best for me my mind is spinning with info overload :)
I think my biggest naughty would be crisps but am trying to be very good most of the time :)

My doctor phoned today to say she should have given me a 5 day food record form from St Richards to send in with my referral so grrr a week wasted already.

Twix888 said:
Hi everyone. Not sure what to write my head is so full of questions. I have just been told by my doctor that my funding has been approved. We talked about hospitals and I chose St Richards in Chichester.
I was wondering if anyone has some advice on what happens next and how long things take.

I met the surgeon, dietician and psychiatrist all in the one afternoon. Then a few weeks later I had an appointment with the surgeon and anaesthetist where I was given my date of the 30th August. I have an appointment Wednesday to be given details on pre op diet, medication etc. excited and terrified all at the same time!

kerrie N said:
I met the surgeon, dietician and psychiatrist all in the one afternoon. Then a few weeks later I had an appointment with the surgeon and anaesthetist where I was given my date of the 30th August. I have an appointment Wednesday to be given details on pre op diet, medication etc. excited and terrified all at the same time!

Anyone being seen at Luton?

Back