• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

More advice pls. x

ditzeeblonde

Hi Guys

Sorry all I seem to do is ask questions!

I have had funding approved & am just waiting to hear back from St Richards as to if I'll be accepted there for wls. The thing is I have been following Atkins since January which is very low carb & done quite well with my weight loss so far... do you think I would have to do a pre-op??

I'll obviously ask the question when I go to St Richards but wondered if anyone could give an educated guess? :confused:

Thank you

Linzi. xx

The pre-op diet is to shrink your liver to allow the surgeon access to your stomach. The liver is usually quite firm so in order to make it flexible enough to move to one side you need to deplete the glycogen stores in it. This is what the pre-op diet does, so yes, you will have to do it.

Mine will be depleted from low carbing tho won't they? I'm only on 20g carbs per day & from what I've seen the hosp low carb diets are higher than mine?

Not that I mind doing one... just curious. xx

If you are sticking to <20g carbs per day then yes, your liver probably will be very depleted of glycogen. However, as Twiggie mentioned on a previous post, doing some physical activity (as much as you can manage) before the op is another good way to deplete glygogen. It can actually take up to 24 hours to replenish glycogen stores, obviously depending on how much you have used & what you eat post-exercise. xxx

Oooops sorry, didn't realise you were continuing with the Atkins until your op, so as Angie says, you should be ok without doing pre-op xx

Back