• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

endoscopy and mri scan

hopelesscase

i got my date for my gasoscopy and mri scan today 5th march. I have opted to have my gasoscopy without sedation as i dont have a strong gag reflex and want to be able to function after. im having that at 9.30am and my scan at 12.30pm i cant have anything to eat or drink prior to my gasoscopy for 4 hrs and the same for my scan apart from water for 4hrs.
I wont be getting up at silly o clock to have my breakfast so just hope that they have something decent on after my scan lol.
Has anyone had a gasoscopy and am i being foolhardy not having sedation?

Hope everything goes well , your braver than me i gag at nothing .

Gastroscopy is where you swallow the camera yeah? If so my mum had one and chose not to have sedation and not to scare you but she came out of the room looking traumatised and said that she would never have it again without sedation. She had to have a second one some time later but I cant remember if she had sedation with that one. I think whatever you feel is best for you is what you should do, but I know that after my mums experience I would never have it done without sedation.
Steph xx

Prob too late now as you will have set off but i had it without sedation as had to be back at work and had no problems at all , it was all over and done with and i was back at work within twenty mins , every one is different so hope all has gone well today x

In all honesty I think you should re-consider having sedation. I had a gastroscopy without sedation a couple of months ago, and same as Steph's mum .... never again!!!

I panicked during the procedure and wanted to rip the whole lot out of my throat. The nurses literally had to pin me down to the bed. Not a pleasant experience at all and I too was traumatised, needing time to rest in the recovery area before I felt able to get up.

Obviously you will need to have someone with you if you're going to be sedated, which is why I couldn't have that option as I was on my own and travelling home by train. Is there anyone to accompany you to the appt?

Mmmmm part of my job entails passing nasal gastirc tubes into the children i care for at times and part of our training is to do it on ourselves. It is a long time since i did it on myself and have not done it since my bypass. So i have just had a go and did it no problems. I am really laid back with things and can almost self hypnotise for relaxation so im sticking with the no sedation. i have several friends i could ask to come with me but its going to be a long day and their time is valuable. Keith has said if i end up having to have sedation just to leave my car and get a taxi and he will take me for it later.

Mmmmm part of my job entails passing nasal gastirc tubes into the children i care for at times and part of our training is to do it on ourselves. It is a long time since i did it on myself and have not done it since my bypass. So i have just had a go and did it no problems. I am really laid back with things and can almost self hypnotise for relaxation so im sticking with the no sedation. i have several friends i could ask to come with me but its going to be a long day and their time is valuable. Keith has said if i end up having to have sedation just to leave my car and get a taxi and he will take me for it later.

In that case I'm sure you'll be fine without sedation. They place a plastic guard in your mouth through which to pass the tubes so you can bite down onto this and focus on your breathing technique to help relax. That's the key, being able to relax. I have a fairly strong gag reflex which didn't help as well as previous traumatic experience with gastric lavage. I'll know next time! ;)

i had it done without sedation and too be honest it wasnt the most pleasant experience but it wasnt too bad either and i have quiet a strong gag reflex. the only thing was i am a bad asthmatic and had to really concentrate on my breathing.

once it was done i was straight up and around. they do numb the back of your throat with a spray.

good luck with whatever you decided

sallie

I've had the gastroscopy with sedation ... twice. After the first time I said never again, but I had to drive afterwards on both occasions and managed. It's not pleasant at all and by choice I would opt for sedation next time. Colonscopy is a different thing all together - NEVER have one of those without sedation!

Good luck hun xx

Good luck with it hun.I'd have to be sedated, but it's good if you don't need it x:D

You're a braver woman than me! Even the thought of it makes me gag lol

Wishing you good luck x

Good luck Carole, hope it all went smoothly xx

Not having it till the 5th of march and been told that i can decide on the day if i want sedation or not but really think i will be ok without.

You're braver than me, I gag at the drop of a hat. It's even written on my dentist notes in big letters 'sensitive gag reflex!' lol My mum has had the proceedure done twice and both with sedation and she said she couldn't do it without. My sister had it done without sedation due to being asthmatic and she ended up bursting a blood vessel in her eye from gagging so much.

It's a bit different being able to put a naso gastric tube in yourself and having someone else do it to you. It's entirely up to you whether you have sedation.

hiya .. I have had a gastroscopy twice in six weeks .. I went in the first time and said .. 'I have read the pamphlet give me the sedation' .. lol . they said .. your doc doesnt allow sedation ! arrgghhh .. but did it with just the throat spray and was fine .. actually wouldnt have the sedation now if it was offered .. I saw the ones that did take it coming out like zombies .. to be honest I was really worried about it the first time but didnt think there was much to it at all .. but I dont have a big gag reflex either .. Good Luck with it xxx

It's a bit different being able to put a naso gastric tube in yourself and having someone else do it to you. It's entirely up to you whether you have sedation.

This made me laugh at the memory as we had to practice on each other and when i think about it i was the only one who could tolorate someone else doing it. One of the guys mad a rather rude comment at the time and funnily enough i heard the same comment last night:eek:

Back