• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

MRI Scans ?

Miss Tickle

Hiya, I'm due for an MRI scan of my head and neck next week and the letter asks for my weight ( Which I don't know now as am a mega binge)
and says I have to remove all jewellery.
My rings don't come off. I've grown since I put them on 25 years ago. Nearly doubled in fact so theres no budging them. Does anyone know if this means that I can't have it?
And why do they need my weight? OMG- ther's not a weight limit is there. And if so what is it?
Can anyone advise me please?
Many thank yous xx

I would give them a call asap and let them know about your rings. They could interfere with the imaging and therefore the results, as you'll be entering an extremely strong magnetic field. You might have to arrange to have them removed. I assume there will be a maximum weight/size for the scanning equipment but have no idea what it is so you could ask when you call. Good luck x

I agree with Twiggie hun, ring them to be sure. They ask for jewellery to be removed due to the extremely strong magnetic field that you will be in. As for the weight limit, sorry hun, no idea what the limit will be, but those machines look very sturdy and I dont think you will be too big for it.

I dont think its as much a weight limit as if you will fit in it. I had 2 strokes 3 years ago and had CT scans and had to have an MRIm, I was scared as Im claustrophobic and someone told me it was really small. I told the consultant I was worried and they gave me a sedative. Whebn I got to the MRI room the nurse saw I was upset about fitting in the machine and measured across my shoulders and said I would struggle so I didn t have it. I was relieved but a bit upset that I was too big to fit in the machine. Good Luck x

i had several MRI's when I was larger, the weight limit was around 18 stones then. Give them a call and explain your worries, they will have dealt with this many times before. I did have to have my rings cut off..
All the best
Deb

I've just had a quick look online and it seems there are machines of various sizes around the country but none as of 2008 that could take more than 25 stone. As Jacqui mentions, it also depends on shoulder width and waist circumference too.

I don't know how much you weigh but I'd give them a call tomorrow hun as it would be awful for you if you got there and they couldn't do it, or they may be able to refer you to a different hospital if necessary.

I've just had a quick look online and it seems there are machines of various sizes around the country but none as of 2008 that could take more than 25 stone. As Jacqui mentions, it also depends on shoulder width and waist circumference too.

I don't know how much you weigh but I'd give them a call tomorrow hun as it would be awful for you if you got there and they couldn't do it, or they may be able to refer you to a different hospital if necessary.

They werent worried about me being 28 stone, luckily it was my knee and nothing else but i couldnt go as far into the machine as normal or I wouldnt have been able to breathe. They said the portable wouldnt hold the weight but the main one would be fine.
You really need to call them to talk about it.Dont worry they are used to it and wont benasty or anything

Last edited:
I weighed about 21 stone at the time, as I say Im not sure it was the weight or the actual measurement. Like Twiggy says they will have dealt with this loads of times so dont worry about asking the questions. X

thanks everyone. Sound advice. I'll phone them tomorrow.
xxx

Some MRI scanners are on loanto the hospital in a portacabin and do have a weight restriction due to thetable you lie on!!
Shells

If you are chlostraphobic make sure you keep your eyes shut. I hated the brace they put on my head so after the first one I closed my eyes before they put the brace on and did'nt open them untill I was out of the scanner. At the time I weighed 20 stone so there was'nt much room inside but they do have a fan blowing which helps alot and head phones playing you music to take your mind off it. Good luck with the rings xxx

I work at an MRI unit.

If your rings won't come off it will be OK but ALL other jewellery is a NO NO.
Your weight might be an issue as most machines have a maximum weight that the moving table(moves to put you inside the scanner) can take, usually about 20 stone. The size of the opening in the scanner is not very big and we often have to turn people away who just won't fit inside.

Sorry to sound negative but it really would be a good idea to give them a ring first, be honest about your weight and size as you may end up wasting your time going for the scan if you are too big.

Thanks Didi. I rang this morning and they said the rings are okay as they are gold and the scanner weight limit is 24 and a half stone. I'm so glad I rang as I feel a lot better now.

Back