• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone else had this happen?

carebear1

Hi all,
anyone had a gastric bypass at Homerton(or any other hospital) and the surgeon say to you and write to your GP that you would have your op a year before you actually had it?

I was told in 2011 that I would have my op in December and the hospital wrote my GP and said the same thing. They discharged me due to an admin error with posting out appointments,surgeon told me this and said I got lost in the system.

My GP referred me again in June and I saw a surgeon again in July and he gave the go ahead and put me forward to the MD team and said I had to wait and see if I get the funding and if I do my op will be in Nov or Dec 2012. I got approved funding the last time so I asked him what happened to that and he said if that's the case my op will be earlier.

I'm wondering if this is a sign not to have the op :eek: in the meantime I'm 32 and my health is failing me. I have High BP highest being 143/130 and had a Retina bleed about 3 weeks ago,woke up with a blood floating inside my eye which the opticians confirmed as a bleed in the back of my eye and GP referred me to the Royal London hospital.

I've heard Nothing from the Homerton but in July the surgeon said I should get my BMI down to 49 then he said actually 47 but my GP said don't lose to much weight as I got the referral because my BMI is over 50. Why did I do this to myself :sigh:

This is a sign that the NHS cannot be trusted with paperwork lol. My honest belief is that things happen for a reason - if your op was delayed, maybe that just wasn't the right time for you. I was expecting my op in dec 2011. Reality was that it was in april 2012 and that extra time was invaluable in terms of me being sure I was making the right decision and that i was ready.

If all NHS hospitals were on system 1. Things like this would not happen. Electronic notes should be mandatory IMO. My paper notes were lost in the system, which delayed my op.

Thanks for the replies ladies. Its true I was so unsure if I really wanted the op especially Bypass the surgeon last yr even asked if I was ready for the op, I said yes but I went in there thinking I would get a band but surgeon said bypass which is more risky and that scared me. I'm totally sure now I just want be healthy. The hospital has just gone text appointment reminders so hopefully I'll get a letter or text soon.

Have you called them at all to find out what's going on? You need to speak to Diane. She's the bariatric co-ordinator and really nice. I spoke to her lots when I was waiting for my dates ( I had 2 dates, a long story due to my own health problems which can be picked up from my posts between Feb and June 2011) but she has the patience of a saint!) . I even asked to meet her nice when i was there for an appt just to put a face to the name. Let me know if you want her number and i will dig it out. I don't know her surname so can't suggest contacting the general telephone number.

Don't be disheartened, it will all work out. I definitely don't regret it, best thing i ever did!!!

Back