• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Endoscopy

Pardon my ignorance, but why is this endoscopy required for some? What is the reason they would want to do this?
Thanks.

Hi Blue
In my daughter's case, she has been having pain periodically in her stomach for a year now, they have tried various treatments and done various tests so endoscopy is the last test to do as apart from a bout of helocobactar they have found nothing. As Kelly says in wls surgery its about checking your stomach before surgery xx

Thank you gaelic girl. I have had an endoscopy done about 20 years ago to investigate pain in the stomach area also. But I wasn't aware it was done prior to WLS and I'm under the impression not everyone has to have this. But I may be wrong. It wasn't a bad experience at the time, I still remember it. It was uncomfortable, and I was so stressed out beforehand, but the actual procedure wasn't terrible. I'd say it depends on who's doing it and if they are understanding and gentle with you. Makes all the difference.

ooooooo so there s hope i may not need it!!! yipppeeee x

Sorry Kelly

Everybody at Sunderland gets it...or at least I think thats the procedure at the moment xx

o deroooo debbs!!!! o well if it takes me to my op then so be it xx

i think its more common with bypass then with band its to check for ulcers and to make sure there is nothing there that shouldnt be :eek:.
Allie i hope all goes well for your daughter xx

With the Avon Obesity Service you have to have an Endoscopy and an Esophageal Manometry test before you can be considered for a band

I had the endoscopy a few weeks ago and found it a very traumatic experience, especially as I had two nurses holding my hands down in addition to the one at my head. I just had the throat spray and couldn't stop gagging. The tube was down there for 15 mins, which the nurses said was longer than usual. Everytime I gagged I was sending all the extra air back up which they had pumped down into my stomach, so they kept having to start again.
Glad I had it because it showed up a hernia and gastritis, but I will refuse point blank to have another without sedation.
Don't want to scare you but I'd rather be honest with you. But it sounds like other people find it a lot easier.

I just had the throat spray and didnt stop gagging and bringing wind up , i sounded like a walrus lol , It wasnt very nice but its over pretty quickly and then you can go straight home , but if your really nervous i would say sedation x

oooooo NOOOOOOO the more i read the more scared i am.... did you not have any symptoms hun from having those identified?... what is gastritis.... holey moley its not even a quick proceedure??.. 15 mins!! that will take will power from me x

In retrospect I think the nagging ache in my abdomen is probably from the hernia. But the gastritis hasn't caused any symptoms at all. I never get heartburn. Gastritis is inflammation of the stomach wall. The doc gave me some pills for it. tbh I didn't really take in what he said because he was speaking to me after removing a tube from my throat and I was too busy imagining kicking him where it hurt.

can i just ask one more thing, with it traspiring you have these conditions will they still do your op?.. or did you have to have treatment first?... x

don't know kelly. i'm waiting to see the surgical nurse in september but i'm guessing they gave me the pills so they could sort out the gastritis beforehand.

thanks sweetpea, good luck x

Back