• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Endoscopy

hlow86

Hello

I'm due to have an endoscopy on Thursday can anyone give me any tips on making it go smoothly? I'll be having the spray.

H xx

My surgeon said he will be doing the spray so I'm going to have to deal with it unfortunately obviously if he can't do it I'll have to be but I doubt he will do it on the same day?? Would he??
Xx

Hi hlow,
I had an endoscopy 3 weeks ago, i was in an out with 2 hours, i had the spray which apparently tastes like banana?!?!? And i was sedated, your not asleep, you are awake and you can see everything thats going on, you are just away with the fairies a lill!! They will ask you on the day if you want sedation-i highly recommend it will relax you and it will be far easier.
The procedure is over within minutes and before you know it your being willed to recovery to allow for the sedation to where off. Before you know it your on your way home.
If you are sedated they will insert a canulla in your hand though!!

I wish you all the best!!
Xx

I'm a complete pansy. Had sedation and lots of it. Lights out and had no clue what was going on both times. The banana spray has made me crave childhood banana Crusha milkshake syrup - yum!

As long as you can definitely ask on the day for sedation I should be ok I'm just worried because the surgeon said he wouldn't be using sedation and just spray. But I'm a wuss myself ha xx

I've had an endoscopy without sedation, just spray. I survived!

It is not nice, but its not painful. With spray you feel everything and gag uncontrollably until it is over. But I am needle phobic and would take the spray and gagging over the cannula in my hand!

Is this at north tees if so you can have the sedation on the day but someone has to take you and bring you home. I only had the spray and it was fine just a bit of coughing, reaching and spluttering a bit uncomfortable I won't lie but it didn't hurt :)

Thanks everyone. Yeh north tees kaz. Did u get to know ur date on the day or have to wait for letter x

No it was a while after, I had mine early on though then app with consultant then liver seminar got date about 2/3 weeks after liver seminar. Had my bypass on Tuesday gone xx

I've had liver & Ap with surgeon so my date is meant to be on the horizon. How r u how did it go x

Recently had an endoscopy at Kings with the spray, as with sedation you have to have someone there to take you home, and didn't feel it was fair asking people to take a day off for me.

Was it pleasant, not one bit, but if you do as your told ( lay on side, head on chest, swallow ! ! ) it is over fairly quickly. Just a bit of a sore throat after.

Hope all goes well, whatever you decide on x

I had this done a few weeks back and only had the spray.
The spray numbs your throat completely,however if I'm ever to have another one done...I'll ask for sedation.
It bothered me more the sounds I was making as they passed the camera down!
Talk about belching! I was mortified the nurses and doctors had to listen to my noises!..lol
However I had a good laugh about it later with the nurses and asked if I was dribbling a lot.
At least if you have spray you'll be in and out in no time like me.

Well my mother said she would come with me anyway so I have someone so I'll just see how brave I am on the day!! Thanks for all your advice people xx

I have had lots of these ! biopsies as well this is how I a complete white coat wimp did it from the first time (only because I used to pass out with a glimpse of needles)
Meditation! I started a few weeks prior to my first endoscopy of course took my earphones in with me and sailed through it with no sedation.
I used the same process with my bypass and walked to theatre got on the trolley no pre med my blood pressure was very steady not a raise at all. few breaths of gas .....gone.
Try to give it a go it works in every situation my use of kalms dropped dramatically.
Hope this helps x

Back