• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Every journey begins with a small step!!

chibchick

After spending quite a few hours reading others inspirational comments and blogs I felt it was time to jump in........:wave_cry:

I have struggled with my weight for many years and have lost count of the number of failed diets, gym memberships, exercise videos/dvds and books I have tried in my quest to feel 'normal' and not worry about getting on a plane, theme park ride etc etc. After spending the last few months researching bariatric surgery I have made an appointment to see Professor Ammori at the Spire Hospital in Manchester this wednesday to discuss surgery. Initially I was convinced the lap band was the way forward but as a type 2 diabetic with hypertension I now feel the gastric sleeve would be a better option.

Any advice would be gratefully received.......:confused::confused:

Looking forward to all your replies

Cx:jelous:

Hi there and welcome. I know that the NHS trust year I go to is only dong bypasses for patients with diabetes.

Fortunately I'm getting surgery for pure weight loss and can't really advise either way for diabetes etc.

Good luck on your journey.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

i think it's such a personal choice, take your time finding out as much as you can - I'm a bander and love my band :)

Hi & welcome Chibchick :) I didnt want to pass by without saying hello but as top cat says its all down to personal choice and what you and your team agree on. Only you can decide ;) ....good luck x

Hi

My friend was 'sleeved' by the Prof at the Spire at the beginning of last year - he will talk you through everything and help you decide what is the best option for you. She is very, very happy with her sleeve and with the care she received.

I would just say go with an open mind, listen to all the information that is given to you so you can make an informed decision as to what is best for you.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Justine x

Thanks for all your messages so far. Fab to hear of a happy customer too. Will let you know how I get on. OH is worried sick yet I am oddly quite excited!!
Love this site too
Cathy x

Hi chibchick
I had my bypass at salford royal & was under Prof ammouri
bypassed on morning of 24/6/13 & i was being checked through out the day for my diabetes, type 2
Pleased to say it had gone ( still check myself every day & get 4.2 / 5.2 max) by that evening.
i was offered both sleeve & bypass, but opted for bypass & its working out great so far ( touch wood)
hope this helps & if i can answer any questions give me a shout
Mark

Hello Chibchick
I had my sleeve done by Professor Ammori almost 3 weeks ago. He's a professional and caring, so he'll explain your options to you and help you decide. I had a sleeve and very happy with it but I can't offer any advice as to which procedure to have.

Good luck

PS: When I was researching where to have my sleeve done, discovered you can have Prof Ammori do your procedure at BMI Alex Hospital for about £500 less than Spire.

Hi and welcome Chibchick, This forum will provide you with a wide range of views from people like you that have been through the same worries and thought processes. There are many factors involved in choosing your surgery, in my case, at 64, I wanted the least intrusive which for me meant a band, which I am very happy with. Do your research, listen to what everyone has to say, discuss with your surgeon and his team, then you will know which route you feel most comfortable with. Then, as you are going private things will move very quickly indeed. Good luck.

Hi and welcome x

Hi I also followed the same considerations as you.
I did not like the possibilty of migration with the lap band and also did not like the fills but on this site are many, many great banders who this was wonderful for. I am opting for the sleeve for the simple reason that the antrum of the greater curvature of the stomach is cut out, this is where ghrelin is produced and ghrelin is the thing that makes us hungry.
What a pleasure it will be to not be hungry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I also find the idea that my sleeve is 1 third the size of my somach before and even if it stretches could never stretch to the extent that I will ever be able to eat as much again,
The list that is problematic for the bypass is way longer than the sleeve list. Most sleevers I know can eat pretty much anything, only in smaller amounts.
Bypassers loose faster as they have both malabsorption and restriction.
Sleevers only have restiction.
It s all about what you want from your procedure.
I have watched extensive hours of you tube video's about sleeve vs bypass and vs band. Great info there as well and if you want specific info about the sleeve, try endobariatric on youtube. Lots of videos there from Dr Alvarez.
The theater time of max 1 hour vs 2 to 3 hours with the bypass also made me lean toward the sleeve.
Anyway to each his own and isnt it wonderful that life caters for us all and we can choose the solution that fits us best.

Thankyou each and everyone of you who has taken the trouble to comment on this thread. I am truly amazed by the support and wealth of knowledge available on this forum and am relieved I stumbled across it.
I met the prof yesterday and was very pleased with the appointment, he was extremely patient and answered all of mine and DH questions. I now feel quietly confident with my decision and strangely excited for the future. DH is reassured and very supportive. So after much discussion and listening to advice I am listed for a gastric sleeve on the 6/9/13!
It's amazing how 'at peace' I feel with this choice. Have decided only to tell people at work on a need to know basis but have been pleasantly surprised with the reaction from the few friends and family who know. I suspect as the date gets nearer though this calm mindset won't last!!! And there will be the pre op diet to get through too!

Good luck with your journey!

Back