• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Exercise... Dumped by IPC and now Ive got to motivate myself!!!

Pip1

Well this week has seen the latest of the "lows" Ive had to endure on the WLS process.

When I first went to see my GP - after being fobbed off etc.. I eventually got referred to the IPC weight loss programme.

Innovations in Primary Care

This included support of a dietician, psychologist and more importantly weekly 1hr "low impact" circuit training fitness class at K2 Crawley (and since Jan 2013 - a class on the 2nd Sat of each month at Broadbridge Heath Leisure Centre). Ive been going to these classes religiously, Ive missed about 2 in 14mths... found them really useful, love meeting people with the same aches and pains and WLS problems etc... and Ive SO enjoyed them.

Not being big headed - but Ive been hailed as a "star pupil" as Ive been motivated, motivated others, helped the trainer set up at the start - and help clear away the equipment... I even got asked to speak to a representative of the CCG (health authority) to say what Ive got out of the classes, and how they have improved my fitness etc.

I FEEL SUCH AN IDIOT, USED and HAD A RIGHT SLAP IN THE FACE!!!:mad::mad::mad::(:(:(

This week Ive been told that as Im now awaiting surgery (I had my 1st assessment appointment at St Richards on 12th July)... that "I am no longer insured to go to the classes" !!!

Apparently I am under the care of the hospital and no longer under the care of the IPC programme. The trainer knew all about my assessment and now Im at a loss to know how to feel about the whole damn thing!!!

Now that's all well and dandy - but what are the hospital doing for me? Very little - Im on a list!!! I could be waiting 6wks or 6mths? They are not providing any support or anything other than Im on a list. So Im now expected to motivate myself and carry on my fitness regime ALONE... and no longer in the classes.

Yes I could join a gym etc... but the major point of the class is mixing with people THE SAME as me... FAT!!!! Ive been calling the classes "chunky club" for ages - you have to have a laugh about these things.. but yes its full of people of all shapes and sizes and we share and swap stories... and Im going to miss that more than anything.

Well - rant over - but I am SO angry and furious at the way Ive been treated. I did so much to promote the class and been so committed to them - now, Im dumped.

Has anyone else had the same problem???

Pip

hi I know it not going to make you feel better but they will be using your place for someone else, the system is tiered you moved from one tier to the next not ideal by any standards but it how they have been doing it, I didn't get on with the people doing the service in Chichester but I was lucky I didn't have to use them, maybe you could get a home exersice dvd to keep you going hope you find an answer xx

do you have any phone numbers of the people you made friends with at the club? maybe you could contact them and make arrangements to meet up and do some work outs together?

try not to think of it as being dumped, but being prioritised for the next step in the fitter and stronger you. I think they should have explained better what was going to happen and how it was going to work, but don't give up and please try not to take it personally.... when you are post op and losing weight and in control it will all be worthwhile

take care and let us know how you get on xxxxx

Why not ask If you can continue to help out and participate as a volunteer?

Try Rosemary Conley, they have loads of people trying to lose weight and have an exercise class as part of every session. You can also go weekly or several times a week. Very motivating.

hi I know it not going to make you feel better but they will be using your place for someone else, the system is tiered you moved from one tier to the next not ideal by any standards but it how they have been doing it, I didn't get on with the people doing the service in Chichester but I was lucky I didn't have to use them, maybe you could get a home exersice dvd to keep you going hope you find an answer xx

If I thought it was like that - I would agree with you, but it isn't! Having been in the class for over a year, Ive seen people come and go - sometimes Ive been one of only 2-3 people! There is room for lots of people but the class on average has about 6 people. Most come for 1-2 weeks and then don't bother etc... they used to have a talk with the dieticians and psychologists etc...and often I was the only one who attended! Clearly I have too much time on my hands (the joy of working from home?)

So if they were oversubscribed and had a queue of people waiting to join, I would gladly stand down... but there isn't!!!

Oh well - guess Im just going to have to try and manage...

Why not ask If you can continue to help out and participate as a volunteer?

Good idea - but they will say no, as Im not insured and cant see them breaking "precedent"... you know how jobsworthy these health authorities are!!!

Try Rosemary Conley, they have loads of people trying to lose weight and have an exercise class as part of every session. You can also go weekly or several times a week. Very motivating.

Thanks for the idea - genuinely mean it - but I would sooner stay in bed (not an option!) than go to a RC class... Sorry but Ive never got on with these type of classes.

Back