• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Exercise

Neeta

Hiya folks.

Just wondering how soon following Bypass surgery everyone started with their exercise plans.

I asked my Surgeon's Registrar when I could start swimming and was told to give it a couple of weeks and to start of slowly.

We also had delivered yesterday an exercise bike/cross trainer which I won't be using until about four weeks post op and then to build up slowly on the bike part before moving on to the cross trainer part.

Do you think that this is sensible, and what were your experiences with doing your exercise post op.

I would welcome your thoughts and suggestions guys and gals. ;) x

Hi
Neeta, I started walking straight away. Only a very short distance several times a day and built up to 45mins a day by about 5 weeks. Was told no swimming till at least 6 weeks. Had my first post op on Friday and was told nothing which uses my abs for 6 months. I have gym induction next week to establish what I can do without using abs as even cycling and swimming does really. I've done swimming and aqua and been fine.
Walking is the best early on though xx

Last edited:
Hi Neeta
I'm 8 weeks post bypass and from week 6 I started using my previously unused exercise bike!
I have been doing 3 miles a day every day and to be honest it's not been a problem. I was thinking about joining a gym but after paying privately for my op I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment, especially as Christmas is just around the corner. So I will keep at it with my bike and start building up the miles.

Jxx

I walked my first 100 yards an hour after I got back to my room. The physioterrorist made me move my fat ass every chuffin hour waking for two days until they let me home. I then carried on walking each day until I could do 45 minutes.

I was told no lifting of anything heavier than a kettle of water for twelve weeks. I walked for about eight weeks then moved onto a stationary bike for a couple of months then I joined a gym.

Neeta the best advice I could give you is keep moving but do not introduce any new exercise or regime until you've cleared it with your medical team. That's really important.

Thanks for the advice you lot, much appreciated. :D

I am walking as much as I can around the house, up and down the stairs and around the garden with my raggies (4 ragdoll cats - 3 on leads and one waddling along behind as she is a little old lady ;))

Back