• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Exercising in the house?

I have a X-Trainer. I do an hour most days if I am working and it's enough to burn about 1000kcals off each time :)

I used to have a well equipped home gym at my mums house and used to go to train there in my twenties :D since then I've bought at least five stationary bikes, two rowing machines, half a dozen steppers, and a chuffin Bullworker LOL. All have now gone and all were in like new condition

I read an article a while ago that said the home is not a place we associate with the pain of working out hence the busiest duty most home exercise machines are asked to do is to be somewhere to hang clothes :D

I have to get my arse off to the gym, there is just something about going booking in and getting changed there that makes me want to do it, I could never get that motivated to work out at home.

They say that the P90X exercise program is very good though it is a little hard core and not for those early out but it might be worth a try if you're a real dedicated home trainer

I'm doing my Wii Fit Yoga... it's within my limits right now and on better days... I do the step and various exercises which are set for my weight... I'm pleased with the Wii Fit & it's a good starting point for me... but as l lose weight and regain my former stamina... I will hope to do aqua aerobics and to do what I can to improve my fitness in an all round capacity... I find the home gym equipment tends to be shortlived, so joining something when I am able is helpful for me personally.

For now... I'm happy to do what I can plus get weighed with the Wii Fit.

Good luck... xxx

I sometimes get down n dirty with Paddy & Max but find the commentary and jokes so funny i end up exercising my belly too much laughing lol xx

After mucking out ponies and lugging water at the mo, I feel I have done enough.

I have however bought a Wii fit, but not got round to doing it yet.:rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for your comments. I've thought about buying a wii so I could use the wii fit and Neen recommends step to the beat, but I'd be concerned that I wouldn't use it. I'm going to try and get the Max and Paddy dvd for a change.
I must admit I struggle with the exercise bike as it doesn't have good resistance and is uncomfy, I can imagine it been sold off soon (but don't tell hubby!!). x

Hey everyone..

well.. my exercise routine got stepped up a few times since having my band done and just want to remind you that it isn't so much about quantity of exercise.. but quality.. you can do an hour a day, turn fat to muscle, weigh more and feel despondent.. or take things at a slow pace, burn off the fat and then whatever is left.. turns to muscle slowly and as this happens.. you are at a point where you know how far you can go, what you can do and have a determination within - to do well..

I know from personal experience that when you are a 'larger lady' and get told to exercise.. the first intial response is 'but I've just had an operation, I can't do that just yet'.. but it is all down to P.M.A. - and thinking 'yes I can' rather than 'oh but I cant'.. In the beginning, just being able to walk a little further than I could before.. was good for me.. then gentle stretches and a light aerobic routine - I actually went onto a website aimed at people with mobility difficulties and created my own exercises to do each day. Nothing major. Leg raises, side bends, torso twists, back stretches to name a few. As I suffered (and still do) from osteoarthritis - it was important for me not to push myself too much, too quickly.. and I haven't had to do that. As my band was done in may - eventually I plucked up courage to go swimming again for the first time in years with my daughter. Am aware in winter this isn't always feasible due to weather conditions and if your local pool is slightly heated - why not? most now have hairdryers so you can make sure your hair is dried before leaving.. it is a brilliant all round way to exercise and some councils do a reduced price membership - check it out, you may be surprised!

The other thing I do - is my exercise bike which lives in my bedroom so I don't get chance to ignore it is there! I alternate this with Wii fit.. I get weighed every 3 days.. no sooner.. that way I get to see a few lbs coming off rather than getting despondent that there doesn't seem to be anything coming off. but please please remember - the Wii scales don't recognise a part lb coming off! ( as I've found several times) :(

Give yourself a monthly goal.. something you feel able to achieve. Whether that is to be half a stone lighter, to be able to walk that extra half mile round town, to manage to work up to doing 20 mins with whatever exercise instead of 10 and collapsing in a heap on the sofa.. remember - nobody knows your body - better than YOU.. if you're unsure of trying something, speak to your gp practice nurse for advice.. they are invaluable!

Remember.. this is a journey - not a race.. there is no right or wrong way to exercise.. as long as you try and build up to a comfortable level, that you KNOW you can do.. all exercise is beneficial..

When you wake on Christmas morning and go to grab something from last year.. and it is hanging like a bauble on the tree.. that is the best feeling.. you know you are succeeding on your journey and gives you a fresh hope and determination. Last winter.. I could hardly move let alone exercise.. now am doing 5k on my exercise bike every other day.. doing my exercise sheet on the days in between.. might not sound a lot but thats what works for ME..

Good luck to each and every one of us through this harsh winter.. remember.. all our hard work - can be shown off with huge grins next summer :p

Thank you Mands, that was really helpful. I have taken up swimming again as it's an exercise I love, but this week it was too cold to go swimming, I hope to resume again soon. What was the name of the site you visited for exercise tips? xx

I'm just under 2 weeks post op and since coming home I haven't been able to get out due to the snow.

I feel like a caged animal and tend to walk around the house pacing. If I want to go to the kitchen for something I have started to go via the stairs i.e into the hall, up the stairs, count to ten, back down, into kitchen get whatever I need and leave it in the hall. Go back up the stairs and down, pick up drink etc., and back into the lounge. I do have a Wii but haven't used it since coming home.

Beth that is such a good idea. I can only imagine how frustrated you're feeling at being stuck in the house for so long. Have you more snow forecast? Here's hoping this blooming awful white stuff goes away soon and we can see grass again (I'm missing it!) xx

I tend to go up and down the stairs more, before I'd only go down in a.m. and up at bed time. The girls and I dance around the living room and I practice some of my belly dancing moves. I am doing more house work and try and incorporate some stretches into it to help flexibility. Until the snow came I used to walk round to my neighbours and pick up the windfall apples 2x a week.

Rebirthxx

We have (since you started this thread) got the wii out from under the stairs! Much better than the dvd, we're hula hooping, jogging, stepping and more importantly having fun as a family. It's one heck of an investment, so if you have little ones buy it them for christmas and then you can use it :) (ps that was a phatmomma money saving expert tip). Have brought my girls 'just dance' for christmas and can't wait to have a go, more fun, fun, fun :) xx

Wait till after xmas and look on bargain pages or some other cheap 'things for sale' paper local to you. All the kids will have had new consoles by then :) Or try 'cash convertor' or the such who offer a guarantee....

:) xx

Who knew that the Max and Paddy dvd would be so full on, I'm knackered!

I'd recommend it to anyone, it was really funny. Myself, OH and Charlie did it and had a right giggle, however I'm really pleased that Charlie wasn't actually watching it but trying to copying us as it contained a couple of risque parts :-0

Back