• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Expectations

I agree 100% with all the lovely ladies who have already replied. Health is my main concern and size doesn't really matter to me. Yes, it would be nice to wear a 'regular' size so I will enjoy that if I get there.

You really might be setting to bar to high with your goal of 100% excess weight loss. You are much taller than me and your goal weight is in my range (155-175lbs) so it may not happen with the bypass alone. That is not to say it is not possible for you to reach those goals (size 10, 168lbs) but you have to be willing to do alot to help yourself. When your weight loss slows (like your two friends experienced perhaps), if you don't reduce your eating (dare I say diet) and add much more exercise, you will stop dropping weight . Your body has a natural 'set point' which cannot be predicted by a doctor. Who knows you could get lucky with it. You body will try to stop there at your set point. If you are not happy with that set point, you will have to possibly 'diet' and add a ton of exercise to your routine in order to continue your regular losses.

Most people after life long dieting and then a gastric bypass don't want to work so hard to maintain a specific weight they set when they were obese, they then just hover at their set point which may seem too 'fat' to you. You are in charge but you may want to be more flexible with your goals so that when time comes, you can enjoy your smaller self instead of being disappointed you are not even smaller.

I hope that you don't feel I am being harsh with you, I am just offering you my take on it. You are absolutely free to disagree my dear. It is your body, your life and ultimately your wls journey so only you know what is right for you. I truly hope you reach every goal you set.

Nichole;)

I typed a response to this, a very long one then deleted it by mistake.

All I have to say is thanks for the advice and I'll certainly take it on board but I still feel that my goals are achievable. I have set myself mini goals though out my journey so that the big one does n't seem so far away.

My expectations or hopes are to be able to play football with my grandson and not to have consider my weight before anything else - it affects every thought in some way.
Congrats on your amazing loss so far!
Lxx

Every body has their own opinions of what they want to achieve. YES I've set my targets high cause thats how I am. When I decide I want to do something then I want to do it completly to the point where I'm satisfied.

Never having been a size 10 or anything remotely near that.. I was a size 18 by the time I was 13, I really don't know how I will look at that weight but I'll set my self that target and be proud of my achievments along the way. Each target is a mile stone for me and I've never felt this positive that something might work for me in my weight loss journey. Any one who things I'm being unrealistic then thats ok, they are entitled to their opinion but they have based that opinion with out even knowing me. The last ten years have been one hell of a journey for me, suffering terribly since my first bypass surgery but riding through it to my second one and finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. To knock some one for having high hopes really is n't fair. I may get to a size 12 and have heaps of lose skin but I'll still be satified. I'll be healthy, lose the weight related problems that I have and not have to worry about my son being picked on when I pick him up at the school gates.

Big and Bouncy commented that I only had one child which is not the case at all.. I have 6 Children ranging in age from 15 down to 1 year and I'm undecided if I would like to have one more child as the baby I have is from my second husband and I know that he would like to have one more. What I don't understand is her comment saying would I be prepared to risk everything I have achieved by having another baby. Is that assuming that if I get pregnant I will no longer be in control of what I'm doing and ballon up to a huge size again? There are cases of woman who have had bypasses and LOST weight during their pregnancies, one cause they are still in control and two because the pressure of the baby can make you feel full even more quickly than usual so you tend to eat less. If I do decide to have another child then I will do it on the advice of my surgeon and dietician about how to manage my surgery and diet during that pregnancy. My surgery was done with the surgeon knowing that I was undecided regarding future pregnancies and his advice was to wait at least 12 months from my surgery before getting pregnant... I would n't even consider it until I was a very healthy weight as I've been so ill through my all 4 of my pregnancies, mostly weight related issues. I'd love to bloom and have a small bump and people actually know that I'm pregnant and just not really really fat. Suprisingly I have n't had much stretching of my skin through my pregnancies, probably cause I was so big through them all that the baby was accomodated in the extra skin that I already have from being so big. People would never have known I was pregnant unless I told them.. maybe the first one might have been a little different as although I was obese I was n't as huge as I was during the previous 3.

Regarding loose skin removal, I would n't even consider it till my family was complete simply because I would n't want to put my self through it then have to do it again. My surgeon made it clear to me that my journey with him regarding my weight loss is from start to finish, finishing with skin removal if and when I need it. When I was in hospital having my bypass done there was a lady in having her tummy done and her skin hung nearly down to her knees and she was completely made up with the results. HEY HEY Mr Pollard your a star.

I know I have waffled on quite a bit but I feel strongly that people can set what every goals suit them and that people should n't be judged by others who don't know them just cause they aim to get to a size 10

Here's to a thinner, healthier and happier 2009

Alia xxx

Hi hun. I totally respect your views. It is personal and only you know what you can and want to acheive! Your will is the engine of your weight loss and if you have your mind and positive attitude working towards your goals then I have NO DOUBT that you will get there :):):).

You are moving along at a great pace and are far beyond where many are at 6 weeks. That shows that you are commited to a healthy life which is really what it takes to be successful. As for pregnancy, there is a sub-forum on the main part of this site to help people with successful weight loss to have 'pregnancy without the pounds' so you will have help there when you are ready. I know that I will be using that forum as well since I have never been able to get pregnant and look forward to a day when I can (at least 12 months out like you said).

With all that said and my complete support of you as a person, you did ask people what their opinions were. When you do that, you give people permisson to have an opinon about you and your situation. Most people, probably yourself included, have strong personal opinions about weight loss and goals and such. I hope you know that all those who commented on this thread (me included) were only offering opinions and beliefs and do not in any way mean to make you feel bad or judge you.

You are a valuable member of this group and I know that I enjoy reading your posts and seeing your success! Sorry to go on so long and ramble...

Nichole:D:D

Hi hun. I totally respect your views. It is personal and only you know what you can and want to acheive! Your will is the engine of your weight loss and if you have your mind and positive attitude working towards your goals then I have NO DOUBT that you will get there :):):).

You are moving along at a great pace and are far beyond where many are at 6 weeks. That shows that you are commited to a healthy life which is really what it takes to be successful. As for pregnancy, there is a sub-forum on the main part of this site to help people with successful weight loss to have 'pregnancy without the pounds' so you will have help there when you are ready. I know that I will be using that forum as well since I have never been able to get pregnant and look forward to a day when I can (at least 12 months out like you said).

With all that said and my complete support of you as a person, you did ask people what their opinions were. When you do that, you give people permisson to have an opinon about you and your situation. Most people, probably yourself included, have strong personal opinions about weight loss and goals and such. I hope you know that all those who commented on this thread (me included) were only offering opinions and beliefs and do not in any way mean to make you feel bad or judge you.

You are a valuable member of this group and I know that I enjoy reading your posts and seeing your success! Sorry to go on so long and ramble...

Nichole:D:D

Hi nic

I was simply asking what the goals of other people were here as I thought it was something that would be nice to share. Of course every one is going to have different expectations and beliefs about where they will be and how long it will take them to get there. I did n't realise my personal views on that would be open to such speculation... mind you that just gives me more determination that I will get to where I want to be. Its always been part of my life, people doubting where I think I can get to and this is my chance to prove to myself I can.

I always appreciate your feedback, you also are doing fantastically well and you are far more knowledgable about this than I am. It would just have been nice to have a more postive reaction to my expectations. If people tell you long enough that you cant reach your goals then you start to believe them and for me 2009 is about being positive, believing in my self and steaming on with my weight loss.

Alia

for me 2009 is about being positive, believing in my self and steaming on with my weight loss.

I am with you on this big time!!!

Alia there is nothing wrong with setting high expectations, I do and then I feel I have something to work towards, I break it down with smaller mile stones to get there. We are all different and what suits one person of the same height wont suit another but we need targets to aim for....your doing fine chick dont let some doubters put you off track, turn the negative into a positive to spur you on...I recently showed people some photos of me at size 10 and they have all said I was far too thin for my height, 5'7", but that was a time I got lots and lots of compliments of people so I cannot of looked that bad....if I want to be that thin again and I think I look ok nothing will stop me....even Mr Ammori said I could go lower than my target of 11 stone and he should know....heres to being skinny minnies...xx

Alia there is nothing wrong with setting high expectations, I do and then I feel I have something to work towards, I break it down with smaller mile stones to get there. We are all different and what suits one person of the same height wont suit another but we need targets to aim for....your doing fine chick dont let some doubters put you off track, turn the negative into a positive to spur you on...I recently showed people some photos of me at size 10 and they have all said I was far too thin for my height, 5'7", but that was a time I got lots and lots of compliments of people so I cannot of looked that bad....if I want to be that thin again and I think I look ok nothing will stop me....even Mr Ammori said I could go lower than my target of 11 stone and he should know....heres to being skinny minnies...xx

Thanks charlie, its good to see that some one else has the same attitude as I have... wish you all the luck with yours and wanna see new pics of you as a skinnie minnie!!

Back