• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Fasting Glucose Test after Bypass

Red 42

novice bypasser
has anyone had a fasting glucose test since thay had their bypass?

I have to have one next Wednesday to check whether they need to see me as often at the diabetic clinic, but I'm worried that the stuff they'll give me will make me dump :confused: ...the practice nurses don't know an awful lot about dumping so I may need to contact our Bariatric Nurse, but thought I'd try you guys first :D

I'm almost 5 months post bypass and my diabetic review last week was spot on, so they want to do a glucose curve on me to check for certain whether they still need to class me as diabetic, as it makes a big difference to life insurances etc.

cheers my dears x

I would definitely get in contact with your Bariatric Nurse as I am fairly sure that you may dump, glucose is liquid sugar after all. No-one at my home town knows anything with regards to my bypass which makes things hard.

Tell them you can't have a glucose tolerance test (I have been told this by my weight management team)
There is another kind of test they can do I'm not sure what it is.

Get in touch with your bariatric team and check
You could also try asking Shellbel and Oonion
I'm sure Shell has had some diabetic testing done and Oonion is a diabetic nurse.
HTH

Last edited:
thanks ladies, I'll ring SRH tomorrow for advice.

I had a bit of a run in with icecream a few weeks ago...boy did I dump :eek:!!! I wouldn't care but before bypass I would never have bothered with icecream, but fancied a little something and thought I was 'immune' to dumping because I tolerate most everything else foodwise. it took at least 2 hours to get the full force of the dumping which would co-incide with my 2nd appointment for blood tests.

I don't want to go through that experience again if I can avoid it.

Hi

As already said above, what ever you do don't have the GTT, If you dumped on a little bit of ice cream, it was a little bit wasn't it, you will dump big time on the GTT.

Paul

Hi

As already said above, what ever you do don't have the GTT, If you dumped on a little bit of ice cream, it was a little bit wasn't it, you will dump big time on the GTT.

Paul

yes Paul, it was a little bit. My Hubby was having some so I had a small portion (I still eat out of small dishes/tea plates) and it was the worst experience ever. I've since been told by a more experienced bypasser that it was down to the ice cream liquifying and getting through the system quick...anyway, whatever it was I won't be touching it again. Scared me I can tell you :(

Hi Red
If you are already a known diabetic then they should not need to do a GTT (glucose tolerance test) are you sure they are not just doing a simple fasting glucose or an Hba1c - I can't see what they are looking at by doing a GTT ?!
xx

Back