• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feeding the rest of the family

swizzlestick

Lifes a beach
Hi there I am just wondering how you post oppers with families manage with meal times.

I usually home cook a meal every day for my OH, my son and myself. From next week I shall be on the pre op and was thinking boy its going to be hard for me to make their meals.

Both are not too good in the kitchen, are out all day so I dont feel its fair to expect them to come home and not have any food there for them. I dont want for them to have to really start eating a lot of ready meals, for a start it would be bleepin expensive, the amount they can pack in lol (you wouldnt believe it to look at them though!).

Any tips on what you are doing or how you got round this problem appreciated. I really also dont want to lose the sitting at the table together meal time experience.

Xx

I was ok when i was on pre op diet as i was on low fat one instead of milk diet but found the liquid only post op stage very hard with all the tempting smells. In fairness hubby cooked quite a bit in that time but we still all sat together. I got through it by thinking how worth it this was going to be in the end, Good luck with it x

Make lots of stew's and casseroles so that you can freeze alittle for after the op and you can puree them for yourself. I had lots of soup pre-op, Imade sure they were tasty and full of veg Good luck

Thanks ladies :)

I think Ill make up some chicken stock over the weekend as a soup base and maybe also a beef stew or something like you say.

I was planning on making home made soups instead of the ww ones (yuk) but being as Ive had a stinky cold hadnt got round to it.

Xx

Like you I cook meals for the rest of the family (hubby and three children) every day. At the mo I'm on the 5% weightloss before surgery plan, following the slimfast diet so I can still eat my evening meal with the family.

I know that when I go onto the pre op diet in a few weeks time and also in the weeks following surgery I won't be able to eat what I've made so will cook the meals and then leave them to eat it. We always sit around the table as a family but I think I would find this too hard when I'm limited to milk/liquids only! I know it is only temporary though so will put up with it best as I can.

Good luck to you with your weightloss journey and hopefully you can find a way round this.

Cuppacocoa xx

Hiya,

I'm cooking a big pot of mince today and will freeze most of it in portions. I'll do similar with other meals so my daughter just has to take it out the freezer in the morning and reheat it in the microwave in the evening.

I'll stocked up in Long Life milk, cereal and put a loaf in the freezer. This is how I coped when I was on CD a few years ago.

I'm sure my mum will help out also, if needed. At 19 my daughter should be cooking, but says she prefers my food (lazy I would say :)). I know if she put her mind to she can. I sent her to Saturday cooking school few years back and she made some lovely food.

xx

i made chilli, spag bol, lasagna, an assortment of stews, soups and cassrols and froze them. all i had to do each day was decide what my boy was having take it out of the freezer in the morning and cook the pasta, rice etc later on when he got in from work. This something i have continued to do as cooking for 2 isnt an easy task. whatever i cook these days i always make enough for 4 and freeze the extra portions.
in the early days i froze things (Pureed)in ice cube trays then transferd them to freezer bags saved loads of time and always had something wholsome in to eat.

Boy gonna be busy stocking the small freezer and baking this weekend lol

Thanks gals....ooh note to self...buy ice cube trays tomorrow.

I just carried on as normal with the feeding of the clan but had my milk and yoghurt. It did'nt bother me, the only thing that did bother me was the fact that even though they can all cook they still had me doing it lol.More fool me I guess.
While we're talking "cooking for the family" does any one else have to cook 2 or 3 different meals every day?? They never want the same thing so I always finish up cooking 2 or 3 different meals at tea timexx

lol gaynor
i have to at the moment as 4 out of the 5 autistic children i look after have very limited diets.
one little one has 8 slices of marmite on toast , 2 digestive biscuits, 1pk prawn cocktail crisp, chicken nuggets and chips or fish fingers and roast pots and that is her sole diet
another on has 2 pots low fat custard , 2 plain barmcakes 2 slices of toast chicken nuggets and chips glass of milk
and my other 2 are even worse they only eat toast wth butter on and biscuits.
i could just see my sons face if he came home to a plate of toast!!!

I have been on the pre op diet for 4 days now and it is honestly not a problem. That is not to say that you won't be tempted by the smell but I just keep focusing on the fact that this is to help me have a problem free surgery. The 2nd and 3rd day of my pre op diet I had to spend in a luxuory hotel that was serving 3 course meals (that looked delicious). I am happy to say that they were great and made me salads without dressings and they even cooked me some chicken. It feels like it is going to be hard and I honestly thought I'd break it with staying in the hotel - but you find the will power from somewhere. Good luck!!!!

lol gaynor
i have to at the moment as 4 out of the 5 autistic children i look after have very limited diets.
one little one has 8 slices of marmite on toast , 2 digestive biscuits, 1pk prawn cocktail crisp, chicken nuggets and chips or fish fingers and roast pots and that is her sole diet
another on has 2 pots low fat custard , 2 plain barmcakes 2 slices of toast chicken nuggets and chips glass of milk
and my other 2 are even worse they only eat toast wth butter on and biscuits.
i could just see my sons face if he came home to a plate of toast!!!

LOL Carole you have the patience of a saint!! I would'nt mind if they were small but they are 56,21,19 and 18 so they could quite easily do it themselfs the lazy beggarsx

Hi hun - it didnt bother me too much either. There is only me and the fella, but I continued to cook easier things for him like sausage casserole etc and he had his portion and ate the rest the day after.
Good luck chick xx

Back