• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feel totally out of my depth.....

kell

Hiya all....I had my bypass 9 days ago. Finally feel ok today but im just not sure what I should be doing?

I was told 1 week on liquid, 2-3 weeks on pureed and then on to soft food...but I just dont know what or how much I should be eating?

Im having at the mo....4 x 100mls yoghut drinks, 1 half of weetabix with milk and drinking about 1.5 litres of water per day.

Does this sound about right?

I really dont know what im doing and just cant seem to get my head around it :confused:

Also am I supposed to be on multivitimins etc? I thought I would need them but all I was sent home with was pain killers and indigestion pills (1 per day)

Should I go buy some?

Sorry for all the questions its just all getting to me :cry:

Hi Kelly,

Did not want to read and run.

Sorry I can't help out but I am sure someone will be along soon who has gone through this with the answers you need.

It is good to hear you are doing ok, it was a big operation.

Love Mini xxx

Ok relax and calm down a bit, you dont need to worry about vitimins at this stage, it wont hurt you to go for a while without vitimins, i didn't start any sort of supplimentation until about week 7 post op.

Food wise, i was told 2 weeks on liquids, 2 weeks on sloppy before trying solids again, all surgeons are different, but i'd suggest that if you really dont want to move onto sloppy yet or feel able then dont, staying on liquids isn't going to hurt you, in fact the longer you give the healing process the better longer term your eating will be, plus because your body is literally living on the 20 million calories stored in your body it really doesn't need food at the moment, in fact i was told if i didn't eat for a month it wouldn't hurt me at all.

Drinking fluid is a different thing though, you need to keep your fluids up, so that means drinking as much water tea, sugar free juice etc as you.

Not sure when bypass - mind you not too sure when band!! Didn't want to read & run. Someone with experience will be along soon. Take care

It does seem to differ from surgeon to surgeon, I was told 4 weeks on liquids only then 4 weeks on sloppy.

As i said, it doesn't really matter how long, but the longer you can avoid putting solids through the staple lines the better you will eat when you do start eating solids, if you dont eat solids for 8 weeks, then you've given the bruising and swelling time to heal and go down.

I only managed 2 weeks on liquids before i was bored out of my brains and started experimenting with sloppy.

no matter if bypasser or bander if "YOUR" body says no to the next stage then go back a stage, this is why so many surgeons rules are different, listen to your bodies if it says no its saying no for a reason and revert back to the previous stage for the time being and try again later xxx

Hi hun, sorry you are feeling confused. It really sounds like you need to give a call to your team and perhaps speak to a dietician to get clarification on your instructions. I can only advise you from my own personal experiences but here it is.

2 weeks Liquids:
milk, tea, sugar-free squash, oxo, thin strained soups, low-cal ovaltine & hot choc, protein supplements (ready to drink shakes or powdered made with milk), smooth yogurt, sugar-free jellies & sugar-free ice lollies. Aim to eat 6-8 times per day and drink water between meals, at least 2L.

2 weeks Purees:
full soups with blended bits, beans & lentils pureed, soft cooked veg pureed with milk or broth, mashed potatoes made runny, pureed meets in gravy or sauce, hummus, sugar-free apple sauce, egg custards, pureed tinned fruit (in water not syrup), yogurt & fruit smoothies, blended fish pie & cottage pie, low-fat curry blended smooth, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese.

At your stage you should aim for at least 1L of food in fluid form such as soup, broth, yougurt, protein drinks and at minimum 1L of low cal fluids like water, tea, sugar-free squash, ice lollies & jellies.

Hydration is your number priority followed closely by protein so make sure you are getting enough of both.

HTH,
Nic:D

Thanks guys

Nic thanks for the indepth answer, you've really helped :) x

Ok relax and calm down a bit, you dont need to worry about vitimins at this stage, it wont hurt you to go for a while without vitimins, i didn't start any sort of supplimentation until about week 7 post op.

Food wise, i was told 2 weeks on liquids, 2 weeks on sloppy before trying solids again, all surgeons are different, but i'd suggest that if you really dont want to move onto sloppy yet or feel able then dont, staying on liquids isn't going to hurt you, in fact the longer you give the healing process the better longer term your eating will be, plus because your body is literally living on the 20 million calories stored in your body it really doesn't need food at the moment, in fact i was told if i didn't eat for a month it wouldn't hurt me at all.

Drinking fluid is a different thing though, you need to keep your fluids up, so that means drinking as much water tea, sugar free juice etc as you.

Hi SS

I think I may have asked this somewhere else before, but would it help if she had meal replacements, say like Cambridge as this has all the nutrients and is liquid? Oh yes, and it's high protein too.

{hugs}

Hi SS

I think I may have asked this somewhere else before, but would it help if she had meal replacements, say like Cambridge as this has all the nutrients and is liquid? Oh yes, and it's high protein too.

{hugs}

I didn't use any sort of meal replacements, i just stuck to jellys, soups, ice cream, yoghurts etc for the first few weeks and then progressed to sloppies like tuna mayo, beans, spagetti etc, i also found i wasn't actually that hungry so eating really wasn't an issue.

I'd guess if you really cant think of anything to have or cant be bothered then you could look at meal replacments, though you would need to look carefully at whats in it before you take it. Longerterm though they will do you no good so the earlier you can lear to eat properly the better

Back