• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

feeling deflated after my 6 month post bypass check up

lyturt

I have been so upbeat since my op and have lost almost 5 stone. I now have a BMI of 31.2 so I should be happy. I set myself a goal to get down to 9 stone and hoped I would qualify for a tummy tuck after 2 years if I maintained my weight loss. My consultant has told me that he wants me to stop losing weight when I get my BMI down to 30. I will then be 10.5 stone. He considers me as being at risk of malabsorbtion due to my age. I am 58. I am gutted he wouldn't recommend me for plastic surgery either. I will still be obese. I have had a few faltering slips with my diet since and am struggling mentally to come to terms with the fact that I will never reach my lifelong goal. Has this happened to anyone else and if it has how have you coped

Although clearly we all know ourselves better and have medical degrees (or google ;)), even I have to begrudgingly admit defeat in this one as I have similar thing but not the same.

Within 4 months of my bypass, not taking vitamins, but did have two B12 injections, I was deficient in everything (yes, everything), vitamin B's, vitamin C, folate, iron, B12 etc etc... I've been told to put weight on. Had to have one of everything injected into me or an IV drip and will get another blood test done on Monday to see if things have improved.

The malabsorption is a very real thing, and experienced surgeons will know best (choked saying that one).

However, my BMI is about the 23 - 23.5 mark. I wanted my BMI to be under 25 to get to my achievement level.

There is no easy answer to this one, but the over-riding factor for me is I had wls for an improvement to my health, not for a cosmetic appearance and size 8 clothes. The health aspect is more important to me (and so are my size 6 knickers :D)

Can't win either way :sigh:

I can understand your disappointment, it's so difficult to change your goals. However, stones and pounds, BMI and dress sizes are all 'just' numbers. The important thing is how you feel and hopefully this is healthy. Don't let your heart down, you have come so far! X

Sadly the numbers game is very real if you want anything done on the NHS. I know to qualify for IVF I have to get my BMI to 30 or below. That's why I had WLS so that's what I'll do.

It's currently 42, down from 50 so on my way... :)

Good luck x

Thanks for the words of encouragement I have taken all my vitamins and had B12 injections. My blood tests came back fine and I do feel healthier and look much better so I will try to be positive it's hard now trying to maintain the temptation to eat the wrong things is now a constant threat ad I no longer have a goal to reach for.had a few naughty nibbles got to get my head right again I never wanted to be super skinny but did want to get away from being in the obese category sorry for moaning but Boone else understands the frustration I feel

OOH I hear you I have been there but you have done so much more than me. I am taller than you however my weight also was much greater than yours. I have taken all my vits and had B12 shots regularly I am 2yrs 4 months post now and I am just below 15 stone the hospital discharged me and are very happy and never expected me to go any further than I have. I set out on this journey daring to dream for the first time in my lif that I could be slim/skinny. Instead I have had to come to terms with the fact that I will just be slimmer, I had no medical probs at all other than sleep apnoea which they found before I had the op. I am now the same size I was when I was 18 yrs old I have come down from size 32 to 18 in most 20 in some others. I have been where you are and know that I am fearful of putting it back on. I try and just eat small portions and healthy portions but do allow myself treats. I have had to stop a lot of my exercise due to a painful knee. I now just keep walking but still love to go out with the girls dancing. I tried jogging but my knee was excruciating, just walking and dancing doesn't harm it so I just do that now. Yes I have seen people come and gomon here who have started at my weight and yet have gone much further down than me, I have to admit that before my op for years I have lived quite a healthy lifestyle apart from alcohol that is. I used to go to the gym do Zumba and other stuff like pilates at my largest also. I ate healthy just portions were to big. I eat very much same things as I used to just smaller portions so my body has adjusted to that. I have to admit that people comment how well I have done but I always always find my self saying well that is me finished now I will lose no more I M WHAT I WAS AT 18. I SCREAM THAT BIT IN MY HEAD. I am sure that some look and think she has quite a bit too go. The head does pay games with us I was dreading getting on the scales today but still 14st 12 went upto 15 st last fortnight. Want to stay below 15 I DO NOT WANT TO GO BACK THERE. we HAVE A FIGHT ON OUR HANDS AND I MUST ADMIT I HAVE ASKED MYSELF ON MANY OCCASIONS WHY CAN'T I HAVE WHAT OTHERS HAVE AND BE SLIM? answer is its not to be for us which is disappointing and we still have a life long battle on our hands. I still wish I had done it sooner when I was younger I was 45 when I had it done and am now just gone 48 last Monday. Good luck with your journey and feel free to private message me should you need to. I do understand, my head struggles a lot. I was convinced this last week that my thighs look bigger yet the scales say not. xxx

I am feeling better about myself went out and bought 2 skirts size 16 no elastic waist felt a million dollars. I am now 58 fitter and slimmer than I have been for years my arthritis is bearable at present so there is a silver lining after all thanks to all. I am not kidding myself I still have a battle to fight but with the encouragement of people on here I can see light at the end of the tunnel

I am feeling better about myself went out and bought 2 skirts size 16 no elastic waist felt a million dollars. I am now 58 fitter and slimmer than I have been for years my arthritis is bearable at present so there is a silver lining after all thanks to all. I am not kidding myself I still have a battle to fight but with the encouragement of people on here I can see light at the end of the tunnel

Well done you have turned a corner it is always helpful to hera that others have and are going through the same thing makes it bit easier to bare. xx

Back