• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feeling deflated!

purplefluffything

Hello to all of you and nice to meet everyone,
Like many here I am at the very very beginning searching out infomation and taken the first steps of speaking to my GP.

My GP has told me what a strict critera it is to get gastric banding and that it will be a slim chance of me getting one, although he is prepared to help me put my case forward due to my health.
I do not have any of the conditions that gastric banding requires but I do have risk of developing Diabietes and I do have the very beginnings of Osteoporosis (I have Osteopenia due to premature menapause caused by having high quantities of Morphine 24/7 I was 35 y/o when I had my menapause) Also High Cholestrol I take medications for this.
I also cannot excercise due to spinal problems and have an 'Intrathecal Morphine pump Implant' which delivers Morpine Clonidine straight into my spine 24/7 for life, the pump is implanted in a pocket in my tummy inbetween my hip and tummy button:D.

I read somwhere on here that people that have wls cannot have naids? I do have to take oral medications daily to help my breakthrough pain . I now feel maybe its already a no go?:( I have heard that you can get some medicenes in liquid form but not completly sure what ones, also thought although I do have to take oral meds surely I could take them in a controlled manner space them out through the day rather than take them all in one go?

If I cannot get the gastric band done via NHS my Husband keeps telling me we will try to go private one way or the other, I feel guilty about doing this because I had to give up work 7 yrs ago when I had my back operated on and it failed, so now I only get disability benifit, but my husband says he knows how much this means to me.

I would be grateful for any answers and infomation on what to expect and also the medication aspect.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, one day maybe I will be able to help others in my boat;).
Diana x

diana see what your gp says and then research yourself give your pct a call and ask them what their funding criteira is and then you can go away and see if you fit into that criteria, sometimes a pct will grant funding if you have lower limb disbilities that would get better if you lost weight. Once you know he funding criteria you will know a bit more, where in the uk are you? Don't let pain meds put you off surgery, there is lways an alternative, Shelbell is a bit of a whizz on pain meds and will b able to tell you abit more when shes on.

Please take no notice of this thread I have posted a simular one yesterday but did not think it was posted:D silly my for not wearing my glasses!

But I would still appreciate any advice On what to expect on starting the process of having Gastric Band?

What will I come up against and what to do when I do come across difficult situations on the NHS.

If Private what experiences have you come across?
I have only searched 2 of these out so far and I am already confused, one is only offering a 28 days after care with their package and the other a life time after care with theirs; they both almost work out the same in money, the first seems cheaper but your refills are charged seprately and the 2nd one their refills and x-rays, 24 hr nurse line is all in.:confused:
This seems like it could be a mine field!

I think It could be better maybe to ask your own GP to recomend a consultant?

Regards. x

Terri Hi,
It seems we were on line together:) Yes I will see what my GP says I see him this wednesday so not long.

I come from Essex Terri, If you don't mind me asking why is it it seems we have to find out what the funding is? I would have thought this would all be done via the hospital as though you were to have any sort of op?

Thanks for your kind help.

Back