• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feeling pressure on my breastbone ?

happyhilary

Hi, I have a small problem that someone on here may be able to help me with. I am 14 weeks post bypass. All seemed ok for the first 6-8 weeks then once i started eating small more normal foods i feel sick , it seems whatever I try i still get this feeling which can last between 1-2 hours. I often feel very weak and from what my family say i look awful ! . Also today i noticed the skin on my breastbone was a little swollen about a 2 inch round area ? only raised a little but i'm sure this is resent. I have the pressure feeling in my throat most of the time and wonderd if anyone else has this ? sorry to ramble on !

Do you take your anti ulcer tablets?
It sounds like indigestion to me. Obviously not ordinary indigestion but the type you can get post bypass. Are you eating too much at one sitting?
I know these questions are silly basic questions but I know that these two things can cause the problem you have at the moment.
The lump you have........ is that perhaps where you have been pressing on your breastbone trying to ease the pressure you feel?
I'm sorry you are sore.
Lynne x

Thanks for both your replies, i keep looking at this swelling and am now wondering if its as bad as it sounds ! i'm going to get my daughter to have a look later today. I dont think i am eating too much but maybe too fast. I have had bran flakes for breakfast about 1/2 cup with milk and the feeling is still there. I want to burp but can't ! I feel that i am doing something wrong so i will contact my team in chichester today. I am not in pain i just feel sick and ill. I cant remember the last time i had a proper meal without this feeling.

Bran flakes swell, and milk can make you feel like you are feeling now.
You are doing the right thing by contacting your team.
Hope they can sort it easily for you.
Do you put sugar on your bran flakes?
Lynne x

No sugar on my breakfast. I have 1-2 small decaf coffees per day and i have 1 sugar (bad i know !!) and this seems ok.

No sugar on my breakfast. I have 1-2 small decaf coffees per day and i have 1 sugar (bad i know !!) and this seems ok.

Sugar.........Do u dump ??That might be whats causing you to feel ill and sick

Yes, julie is right. Sugar is a massive no no!! so is anything that swells when it is in your tummy, such as bran. You have to make sure it is already fully saturated before it hits your tummy, just like you would with rice or barley etc.
Wishing you all the best when you speak to your team.

Lynne x

I only dump on chicken,beef and tuna so far ! when i say dump , i'm not sick but feel ill and then go to sleep ! i think it maybe acid, i have just taken the anti-acid tabs which i was told i could stop and to be honest i think this started about the same time and i have just had a small burp ! ( Little things make me happy these days ! ) This site is great, i read everyday , i really dont know what i would do without you all xxxxxxxxxxxx

I wake up with this and have had my coffee with 1 sugar everday since about week 2. I really tried to give it up but i ended up not drinking very much. I have just spoken to chichester and it seams you could be right about the acid. I am going to give the tabs another go for a few days i have an appointment in 2 weeks so will go over everything then.I asked about the sugar in my coffee and although its not advised she thinks its not the problem. I guess we are all different. Thanks to you all xxxxxxxxxxxx

Could be eating too fast,its early yet so slow down and put the spoon down between mouthfuls.I put milk on my weetabix do something else then eat it so its soggy!

A lump could be a small hernia, worth getting it checked out. Take small bites no bigger than your little finger nail and pause between swallows. It takes a long time to learn how to eat again post op, and pain under your breastbone is a classic sign of eating too fast or swallowing too much, both of which cause trapped wind in your pouch (hence the feeling of needing to burp), if possible get someone to rub your back while you lean forward as if they were burping a baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thank you shelbel, i think it might be eating too fast thats causing some of the problem. I make the bran flakes and then let them stand for a while so i think it must be the speed that i am eating. I will keep you posted !

Back