• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Finally asked gp for plastics referral

Sar2567

Well I finally plucked up the courage to go to the gp and ask if be will make the referral to plastics for a tummy tuck. I am now 15 months out from bypass and am at goal weight of 10 stone.

He had a look and said it wasn't too bad but agreed surgery would help. He wasn't hopeful that they were taking plastics referrals at the moment but pushed him and he said he would send it off to see. So here we go. Wonder how long it will take to hear back?

good luck!!! I have been told flat out that I will not get plastics on the NHS once the weight has gone, so would be interested to hear what they say...
xxx

I am wondering if it depends on where you live, some seem to get it and others don't, my consultant who did my op said he couldn't guarantee they would give me plastics so I ve took that as " well they haven't said they wouldn't " once at target weight do you know how long you need to maintain for before they would refer you x

I was always told there was no guarantee of funding for plastics & not for at least 2yrs post op & maintainance of a healthy weight. So despite being referred there is no guarantee of acceptance, funding or ultimately surgery. If its not funded then I have to accept it won't be done.

Me to but if I assume worst case then I won't be disappointed if like the funding for the bypass it is confirmed then brilliant is an understatement. I've yet to convince myself I deserve it etc etc you know the old self esteem & self worth issues we all suffer from.

Fingers crossed you ladies get a positive answer re plastics...x

Hi Sa2567, You live in Gloucester, don't you? I was told they Won't cover plastic surgery, but I hope for your sake that the referral will go through and that they will offer it to you. Keep me posted... My loose skin is non-existent thankfully, but you never know how long that will last. X

Yes I am in gloucester. I am hoping that with my other health problems and the fact that I self funded my bypass that they will do my tummy. I have decided my boobs will be my 40th birthday present - gives me 5 years to save!
Not heard anything so far but guessing it will take a while

Can I check how long it took others to get a letter back from the hospital? Not heard anything about my referral.

So far I've heard via gp initial referral was returned from hospital as funding needed to be applied for. So go did that for me in August while I was on holiday. We then had a question from funding team for evidence re infections. Had only gone once rest treated myself so he replied with that we are now awaiting their response. I have a slight infection again so aim to go to go with it incase we get turned down & have to reapply at a later date or appeal. I had resisted going if I could treat it myself rather than waste an appointment for something if I catch early sudocrem or some old fucidn creme from a past infection deals with it, or a mix of the two. Lol
I have convinced myself as I did with my bypass funding application that the answer will be no partly because I'm not sure I deserve it on the NHS again partly because I expect it to be really hard to get. (Yes I do accept it could happen & I probably do deserve it but old habits die hard self belief & confidence are not my strong points.)

ahhh did ur gp let u know Penelope about applying for funding first ? ive been to see my Gp and just waiting on a letter so I am wondering if it is the same everywhere for applying for funding first before consultation with plastics. I suffer from infections under my apron and bust but generally I too treat myself at the chemist and creams I have had in the medical cupboard at home haha. I have been lucky to have my bypass on the NHS and I am most greatfull for that like you I feel like I don't think I will get the funding but its worth a try fingers crossed for all of us :D x

Initially saw one of the other gp's in the practice who referred me to Salisbury hospital plastics dept. they then wrote back saying not usually done on NHS funding would need to be applied for which is what I'd assumed before going to them. So I'm not surprised at the too-ing & fro-ing. Time will tell if I'm lucky on the sweepstake that funding is.

Back