• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Asking GP for referral tomorrow.

Wishing you luck Sam xxx Hope everything goes well and you get the go-ahead x

Good luck Sam, I have everything crossed for you xxx

Good luck Sam hope you get what you want xxx

We are hoping for you :)

Thanks all.

Today went well but for some reason I feel really deflated :sigh:

I was weighed, measured and had a long chat about medical history, why I want the op's, physical and psychological reasons for wanting the op. He weighed me at 12st 7 and I was gutted as on my own scales this morning, naked I was 12 stone. I know it was afternoon, different scales, after lunch etc etc, but 1/2 stone heavier is taking the mickey!

Anyway, after examining me both lying down and standing from every angle you can imagine we sat back down for a chat.

He said that Im a good candidate for a tummy tuck and that I shouldnt need a fleur de lys (where they do a vertical scar as well as horizontal) and I shouldnt need a circumfrential body lift but would probably need some lipo after the op.

He said he would recommend 6 weeks off work to recover after the op and would be a much harder recovery than my bypass surgery. I wouldnt be able to drive for 6 weeks.

As for my boobs, he said this could be done after the TT. It would be a boob reduction as my boobs are still a 32 g/gg even after weight loss. The BMI requirement is 25 or below though so he said no point even doing the paperwork now, but would be happy to offer a reduction post TT as long as I meet the BMI requirement. This is a bonus as I really wasnt expecting that.

Then came the bad news... Ive got to maintain my weight loss for 12 months before he will operate. luckily as my medical records show me at around 12st 7 when I had my gallbladder out in May he said the clock can start ticking from then. So I have another appointment to see him in May 2011 and as long as I weigh 12st 7 or less I can go on his list at that time.

I'm sure Ive left out loads, but Im feeling deflated as I said and cant think of any more at the minute.

Hiya Sam,

it never ceases to amaze me the difference in pct's ect from different areas. My surgeon never mentioned a 12 month wait but also never mentioned a 2nd operation only that he thought he would be able to convince his colleageus that i needed the circumfrential body lift., and then put me on his list. It is good news though sam i know not as soon as you had hoped but at least he said yes to both procedures. ;););)Janey

Sam..I am sorry you are feeling a little deflated about the time scale....but hay..this morning you were unsure if you would get either of these ops....:cool:
I am so happy that although you have a wait,you will be getting it done...(((hug)))
did he say how long the waiting list was???

Aw Sam dont feel down about it, this time next year you could all be done. I know it seems an age away at the moment x

Hi Sam. I'm sorry you feel so deflated lovey, but May isn't really so long to wait? I suppose you need to know how long the waiting list is to guage how long it will be from then.
Sending hugs petal. xxx

Thanks all. I know Im selfish to feel deflated as many people would give their right arm to know that they could have this surgery on the NHS.

He said the wait is currently 2-3 months, so would expect it to be somewhere near the same wait in May next year. He also said if I gain a single lb I will not be able to go on the list, so theres the motivation I need to ensure I dont start to regain.

Sorry ur feelin deflated hun,but think how fab ur going to look in ur bikini after ur plastics. U look fab and have worked so hard, 6 months will fly by and ur final part of ur wls journey.
Does the surgeon apply for the funding or if they say yes thats it and the pct have to fund it, so many opct`s work different.
Congrats hun am really pleased for you, take care xx

I'm so glad you got the go ahead Sam. I know many PCTs say weight must be stable for a period, I think Shel's may even be 2 years. Now me dear I also understand your concerns but May is only a heart beat away and I chose to wait for 20 weeks to have mine in the autumn and as you said on mine that time went really quickly. Hospital scales poof its 7lbs and luckily tied in with your gall bladder op weight. I have 13 sets of scales in my surgery which are all calibrated by the engineer regularly but I can get on them all and often get different weights wtf is that all about. Don't take it to heart for too long focus forwards and on the fact not only can you get your tuck but you also have the green light for the boobs and isn't that wonderful news.

I'm so pleased for you c'mon lets get happy

M

I am really pleased that you got the ok Sam. It will be May before you know it and you will be done and dusted. Really pleased for you.

What absolutely fantastic news that you are going to be allowed BOTH ops! :D Brilliant!!

Big hugs re the wait. I know that I also would be gutted if told I had to wait so I can understand where you`re coming from x

I`m sure with the hecticness of Christmas etc coming up over the next few months, The time will whizz by!

So pleased for you Xxxxxxx

thanks again all of you, especially you M.

I really appreciate all of your kind words and think the decision re waiting until May next year to go on the list just knocked me for six at a time when Im feeling down in general about lots of things.

I'm normally a positive and happy person, but have had a really tough year with one thing and another, and have a lot on my plate right now. I think this was just the straw that broke the camels back yesterday, and whilst I would normally have taken that in my stride and focused on the positives, I just felt unable to do that yesterday.

But you are all right, it IS good news, it DOES make sense to wait till next year, and I AM going to be slim eventually. I need to keep reminding myself of that.

Thanks once again. You are all fabulous x

Back