• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

finally been referred :)

gemma-lou88

hiya all :)
after many years of dieting, many many pills and many months of fighting with doctors.. iv finally been referred for bariatric surgery seen as my reductil got discontinued..
anyone know what to expect next ?
does this mean i will get the op or just a maybe?
thanks
Gemma

The next BIG stage for you will be whether you get approved for funding or not, this will normally be decided before your 1st appointment with the Consultant.

Good Luck! ;)

Last edited:
the way the doc was talking was like i was gonna get op as he said a year didnt say anything about funding :( known my luck lately i wont get it

Yes, once your Doctor refers you, you will be referred to your local Medical Board, who will discuss your case, and decide on whether you need the surgery, and whether to approve funding or not, your doctors recommendation will be taken into account.
Once they have decided, a letter will be sent to You, your GP and the Consultant.
Thats how it was for me anyway. :(

Hi and welcome

It all depends on your pct if you get the funding or not. My doctor referred me to our local hospital where I had a appointment to discuss the band and the bypass, I then had a 4 month cooling off period in which I was able to look at both operations at length and decide which was best for me, I then had to go back to the hospital and tell then which operation I wanted to have done, funding was then applied for, this only took 2 weeks and I was given conformation on December 21st that funding had been granted and I was on the waiting list, I have got my 2 pre-op dates, the first to have blood tests, breathing test and mrsa swab and the second to see the gas man and it is he that will give me my date for the op.

I was first referred in May 09 and got my first appointment in June 09, Im hoping for the op to be done May/June so it takes roughly a year but some pct's can be shorter or longer.

Do you no what criteria your PCT agree to for WLS?

hiya yeah its the NICE guidelines and he said im within them and tick all the boxes for surgery just hope i get it, heard so many people be turned down

Well if your GP says you're within NICE guidelines then it looks hopeful for you, especially as you've done the pills.. Do you have any co-morbidities? Its awful to wish yourself ill but they all help! Only time i was thankful for my diabetes was when i went to the doctor for my referral lol xx

Good luck

not really apart from depression and really bad lower back ache after like 5 mins of walking and im only 22 :( my dad had a stroke in his 20's too and is diabetic really dont want them to happen to me x

Back