• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First Appointment

janet_hi

Hi I would like to introduce myself my name is Janet I lhave been over weight most of my life with lot's of different diets, slimming aids tablet's injections, clubs, Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Rosemary Connelly, exerc,ise classes etc I have no problem dieting I can loose the weight but it goes back on +++ But, I am hopeing that this will change my fat life.

I received my 1st appointment for Royal Bournemouth for 7th Nov a week ago to see the Bariatric Practitioner for Royal Bournemouth Hosp.for a group session. Which stated on the back 18week from referral to treatment.

But today, I received in the post Bariatric Surgical Assessment & Patient Questionnaire which I have already filled in! The new appointment says that I should be prepared to be there 3hrs. It also has surgeons Mr Byrom & Mr Davis on the paperwork so does this mean my funding has been agreed? Has anybody been to one of these sessions I'm just so excited cannot wait for the 7th any help would be appreciated

MayraF

Hello again :D

I'm not sure how it works now but when I started the process, I was referred to the tier 3 weight management course which I had to attend at the Spire Southampton and it was for 6 months. At the end the dietician and the psychologist recommended me for surgery to the Dorset CCG. Then I was referred to Bournemouth Hospital and had to go to the group session. I never received any letter confirming my funding, I only found out by calling the CCG directly, this was before I was referred to the hospital. I'll try and fish out their contact details and I'll send you a message if I find it. Feel free to ask anything else, I'd be glad to help!

pinkcere

Last edited:

janet_hi

Thank you Ladies, for your help it's very much appreciated

Starduck

Hi!! I'm under Bournemouth and have just been referred to the bariatric clinic witg gastric band recommendation from endocrinologist :) how long has it taken you to get to this point? I'm so impatient! :p xx

janet_hi

Hi!! I'm under Bournemouth and have just been referred to the bariatric clinic witg gastric band recommendation from endocrinologist :) how long has it taken you to get to this point? I'm so impatient! :p xx

Hi Starduck
Well my GP surgery said they had sent referral and after 2 weeks I rang Royal Bournemouth who said they hadn't received it. I asked if it would of gone anywhere else they said no go back to surgery ask them to fax it. So I did rang hospital later same day they had received it and it had already gone to be processed. I got 1st appointment a week later last week I received questionnaires to take with me on 7th Nov it says allow 3hrs as bloods etc will be taken at the group session. I cannot wait!!
Hope yours comes as fast.

Last edited:

Starduck

Wow thats fab! I hope mine will be that quick too - go Bournemouth :D how are the group sessions? Im really shy :ashamed0005: x

MayraF

Lol where were you all when I lived in Bournemouth? :p

I'm in Southampton now but go there often :)

janet_hi

Lol where were you all when I lived in Bournemouth? :p

I'm in Southampton now but go there often :)

I live in Poole, but hopefully having surgery in RBH only 2 weeks for my 1st appointment all will be revealed I hope! X

janet_hi

Wow thats fab! I hope mine will be that quick too - go Bournemouth :D how are the group sessions? Im really shy :ashamed0005: x

Starduck how are you? Have you heard anything?

janet_hi

I go on Fri 7th for my 1st appointment getting excited :) But today I got a letter asking if I wanted to be part of a research study for Bypass or band! But they use a randomiser to choose you operation so you have no say. It also gives the impression that your seen quicker for surgery. I don't think I will take part. As I would prefer to have sleeve if Consultant agrees or bypass. I don't want to have band due to infills etc. But, roll on Friday!!

SHARONA

I go on Fri 7th for my 1st appointment getting excited :) But today I got a letter asking if I wanted to be part of a research study for Bypass or band! But they use a randomiser to choose you operation so you have no say. It also gives the impression that your seen quicker for surgery. I don't think I will take part. As I would prefer to have sleeve if Consultant agrees or bypass. I don't want to have band due to infills etc. But, roll on Friday!!
Ho Janet Its all exciting isn't it . I defiantly wouldn't be part of the study even if it means getting through system quicker as you might get the band. Like you I don't want the band . All the best with your journey.

janet_hi

Hi getting exciting now only 1 day to go until my first 3hr group session(Fri 7th) ;-). Cannot wait!!

pinkcere

Hi Janet,

It's exciting isn't it? Good luck for tomorrow I'm sure it will be great. :)

I'm still waiting to hear back from my first appointment on 10/10 wow almost a month already! Although my GP said last week they sent them a letter saying I was in the waiting list for surgery already.

Waiting is killing me...the more wait the more hungry I feel...Sh***t heheheh

janet_hi

Hi Pinkcere, Hope you get a reply date soon! Only a few hours to go now I cannot wai. Hopefully, I will have some answers! I will update tomorrow roll on 9.30 lol

janet_hi

Hi folks! I went with my Husband to my Group session today. I had my weight and height measured first. Then went in to see Bariatric Nurse who asked if she could audio record my appointments which I agreed too! But I said that I wasn't sure about doing the trial as I was quite set on the sleeve which isn't in the trial. So in the group session their was 7 men 3 women including me. We had the three ops explained and heard about pre and post op diets etc. Then went over the Byband Research Study and that they all over three years loose the same weight just sleeve and bypass are faster but band catches up! I spoke to gentleman next to me asked if he was doing trial he said yes because he wanted to give something back by helping other WLS patients we discussed our lives and benefits of surgery! We then went back in 121 with Nurse covering everything. She went through the forms that I had filled in, and asked if I thought more on trial I said I still wasn't sure! She said to go home and think about it that you can change your mind at any point. I asked if I kept with sleeve when would they be thinking of surgery she replied May. So then I went for blood test whilst thereI spoke to a lady again asked her if doing the trial she said yes exactly sae reasons as the guy! I then asked when they said she would have surgery she said Feb/March. So it does seem like they are doing those on Research Study first. Anyway after talking with my Husband I have decided to go with the study and the randomiser will decide which surgery I will have! I just want to loose the weight and I like the idea that they will be looking after you for three years after surgery or I can opt out at any point! Next step on ladder is to see dietician 121. Hopefully, soon!

janet_hi

Hello Star duck, went for my 1st session on last Fri, found it alright I answered a few questions. But some were quite verbal so I left it to them ideal if your shy lol. Unfortunately, I had a choking cough and had to leave session for a short while. But I found it informative and cannot wait until the next appointment, surgery cannot come fast enough for me! I hate the waiting game but it's got to be done! How are you doing on your weightloss journey?

janet_hi

Just an update got two letters today, one to see Consultant and one for Dietician for Friday 13th March 2015 I got a quite a bit excited thinking this was for the Consultant to give me a surgery date and the Dietician to do pre-op diet. But Nope! It's for a consultation with both with a view to surgery in May. So even though I'm on the second step of my ladder and should be happy, I'm still a little disappointed. I don't want to seem ungrateful because I am lucky that NHS are doing this for me! As I couldn't afford to go private!