• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie wanting info on Homerton / Mannur

kurvykaren

Hi
I've (finally!) been referred for surgery to Mr Mannur at Homerton, and have my first appointments on 25 August.
(Letters originally sent from Docs to Homerton in April but were lost - not a good start!)
I'd really love to hear from anyone who's been 'done' through Homerton, love to know what to expect when I go.

Thanks

karen i cant help you with what you want to know yet as still waiting but i would like to say welcome and good luck on your journey xxx
maybe go to the diary section and read other p[eoples stories i can honestly say they are a great read xx

Karen
I was "DONE" by one of Mr Mannur's team (Mr Ammori). I know there are at least three of us on this forum who are under the Homerton.
I had an initial consultation with the dietician and then registrar.
My case was then heard at the multidisciplinary team members and because my case fit the NCIE guidelines I was referred for surgery.
I was advised to have Gatric bypass surgery due to my diabetes.
I had previously had a sleep apnoea test so did not need that one done again.
I was given two weight loss goals whilst waiting for the surgery.
From start to finish my wait time was 4 months. My friend was six months as he needed a sleep apnoea test.

The team is very good and always there when I need them.
Feel free to ask more questions if you have any.
Shells
(Colchester, Essex)

Thanks Tracey - I've just found this site so will def look at the diaries when I have time.

Petshell - thanks for that! So I'm guessing that means that if timescales are the same it could be early 2011 for me! I have severe sleep apnoea and use a CPAP machine at night so hopefully won't need that one again. BMI about 58 so def meet NICE. Hubby going for it too - he has diabetes, BMI approx 43.
Both meet criteria, so really hope we can both have bypass - have looked at info on other options and think this one sounds best, although I'm guessing it's whatever the doc's decide. x

Karen,

I was also done at Homerton and although Mr Mannur didn't do my bypass - Mr Angelini did - they are all part of the same team and extremely good!

I had a small operation done by Mr Mannur on Monday though and he was lovely and is highly recommended by a lot of people.

I also met someone today who is on the waiting list and has been told 2-3 months

Good Luck with your journey :)

P.S only thing i'd add is they're not the greatest where admin is concerned so keep chasing them up.

I had my op done by the man himself :).

I was referred April 2009 and had my op 6 months later.

I totally agree to keep on at them.

Once I'd seen Mr Mannur and he had agreed to do the op. The next step was for the MDT to agree. I rang on a regular basis to find out if and when the meeting had taken place. I was fortunate I was in contact with one of the bariatric nurses and she finally rang me when the MDT gave the ok and my funding was also granted.

In between waiting for there the out come of the MDT I had some test. Some of the test I had already been referred for by my gp so this silghtly sped up any waiting for them.

Though the results of my Bypass have not been great to say the least (poor weight loss). I don't for one moment think this is down to MR Mannur. I think I am just one of a small percentage of people that it hasn't completly worked for.

Hi Karen, I'm Hannah and i've just recieved my appointment for Homerton on the 25th as well. Hope yours goes well. Might see you there!

Thanks everyone!
Must admit after I found out they'd lost my first referral letter I wasn't overly impressed, but the lady I spoke to in the general appointment department sorted it all out for me (although I had to liase between the hospital and my GP myself!)
Hopefully it'll all be plain sailing from here (fingers crossed!)
Hannah - may see you there on 25th! good luck to you too.

Karen I had my sleeve done by His team at Homerton and it was all done in 7 months from GP referral to op I had already been diagnosed with DSA so no need for the sleep test.
It is one of the best things I have ever done.
Good luck with yours and keep us posted
Bryan

Hello Bryan,
I only joined this site yesterday but wondered if I could ask you a couple of questions? You have done so well by the way.
Did you have any pre existing condition, like a hiatus hernia, high blood pressure or asthma?
Did you decide on a Sleeve instead of a Bypass or did the surgeon decide?
I hope my questions aren't too personal.
xx

Back