• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What is the waiting times at Homerton Hospital

Angie E

Hi all,

I currently registered with Homerton Hospital, east London. Those people attending there I wanted to know how long did you have to wait before proceeding with surgery from the date of your GP referral or first appointment with a consultant (bariatric surgeon) at Homerton. Also did you loose the required 5 -10% before being accepted for surgery?

I am really interested to know as I'm waiting for my surgery date

Angie E

user_offline.gif

Stacey83

Hi Angie

I took 2 years to get to Homerton via Dr Coppak and finally had my first appoint on 21 January 2014 I am pleased to announce I had my surgery 30 April 2014 so...3 months once I was in the Homerton system!

Worth pointing out in those 2 years before I got to Homerton I had sleep tests, psychiatric and psychological support etc so I didn't need to wait for tests as Dr C had been great in not leaving a single stone unturned.

At my first appointment they said they'd expect me to lose 5-10% on my own and didn't give me a diet, they wanted me to do it on my own via smaller portions, cutting down on junk etc so I installed my fitness pal on my phone and did calorie counting - I'd been eating/drinking up to 3000 calories a day and I set myself a limit of 1500 which helped make me aware of my bad habits and overeating ways. By the time of my second appointment in March I'd lost 5kg and then I lost another 5kg once told to start the pre op diet from mid April- I did the slimfast one. So I lost 7% and they were fine with that...they are so supportive at Homerton and I can't recommend them enough, I'm their biggest fan! Infact, today I saw Dr C at Bart's and thanked him for saving my life!

In January I was 147kg... Today I'm 117kg I am so grateful. I am also happy, sane and positive for the first time EVER.

Come along to the patient support groups on the 3rd Thursday of each month if you can, they're great for support and asking questions.

Best of luck
Stacey

los in it

I will have to check my notes but I think from start till today its about 16 months approximately
Stacey, did you get a diet sheet of each of the diets you could choice from?
If anyone can talk me thru the options I would be happy thanks guys

Stacey83

Yes, I got to pick from 3 - 1000 calories food, milk diet, slim fast diet. They'll invite you to a session soon and talk you through them and then you can decide which you'd prefer. The reason I picked slimfast was because it was pre made in a bottle and it wasn't food so there was no room for cheating, over portions etc I knew I didn't have the willpower to stick to 1000 calories of food! I tried milk for one day but couldn't handle the that so I did slimfast and although hard I got used to it! I think SophiaPink ended up doing the 1000 calorie Homerton food, you could ask her about that option. Different things work for different people!

Angie E

Thanks Stacey for sharing. I have been waiting since Nov 13, all tests have been done. That's great you only had to wait 3 months. And well done so far for your weight lost, you must be feeling on top of the world.

I have been going to the support group at Homerton for the last 3 sessions. I find them rather useful. You will see me there and I'll will say hello.

Angie E

Stacey83

Ha! I spoke at the one in June about my surgery experience, I was wearing a black and white striped dress! I find it really useful too! See you next time ;-)

Angie E

I think I do remember Stacey83, I think you wore red lipstick at the time and was nicely dress. See you next time.

sophiapink100

For me once I was on the Homerton system it took me 8 months for the op, however that is due to the surgeon wanting a few extra tests. To get my surgery in total it took 5 years though. X