• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First appt tomorrow. Am starting to get anxious.

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
I'm seeing the surgical nurse at the hospital on friday afternoon. It's the first contact I've had with the bariatric services since my gp referred me. I have no idea what is going to happen there. I presume I'll be weighed and it says to take all medications with me. I have a horrible feeling it's just so they can weigh me and then refuse me because my bmi is under 50. I'm trying to think of answers to anything she might ask, such as why I can't lose weight etc.
I've been eating like crazy ever since my gp referred me, which is wrong I know, but I've not been able to stop.
6 days without any cigarettes though!

best of luck for your appt :)
and well done on the not smoking

thanks hon.

wanted to add too that I'm hugely ashamed to admit to the nurse what I eat each day. I can't even write it down here.

Hi Yorkiegal
I know what you are going through, my first appointment is next Tuesday with the consultant and was told it would only be a 20 min appointment. Let me know how you get on, what time are you going, I shall keep my fingers crossed. You must tell them what you eat as this may have an impact on the type of surgery you may have. No one will point fingers and nobody like yr family and friends will know what you have said to the hospital. We are all having this done for the same reason! I had visions of the gown in my surgery not fitting or the bed breaking, then I thought silly cow, all their customers are on the large size so they should have thought of that!!

DONT WORRY, BE YOURSELF
Nicky x

lol it's funny what we worry about isn't it? I've been out and bought new bra and knickers in case I have to get undressed. My appointment is at 2.30pm. They were offering appt's every 30 mins so I presume I won't be in there long.

Bra and pants, I never thought of that!!!! That is one of the things I am looking forward to getting when I have lost weight, something that fits!

Will be thinking of you at that time.

Nicky:cool:

hmm, nearly slugged a bloke in evans earlier today when I was buying them though. He was in there with his girlfriend and said 'omg i can't believe how big the bras are in here' just as I was reaching for one.
He was a lanky streak of you know what though :)

shoulda used one of the bras as a catapult....could fit some nice large missiles into it to aim at him :D hehe

I had my weight taken, bloods taken, height measured, bmi worked out, ecg and mrsa tests and an interview about what I wanted and a discussion about which surgery would be best for me. It might be different for you but all my pre op appoinments were all in one day (if you see what I mean). It's important to be brutally honest with the nurse about what you're eating and when etc. That way they can gague what surgery is best for you.

ok i'll bite the bullet and print it here then. I never have three meals per day. Instead I go out and buy loads of food and eat most of it in one sitting. I don't mean binge as in cram it in very fast, but basically start eating and don't stop til it's all gone, even if half of it was meant to last til the next day.

Today I came home from M&S with two of their sandwiches, a box of 4 choc eclairs, a packet of chocolate caramels and some strawberries. All eaten within the first hour of arriving home. In addition I've had at least ten lollipops today, although that's from giving up smoking. If I'd bought more chocolate I would be eating it. I can easily put away one of those big fruit and nut bars within 5 mins. When I go to the supermarket I often stop in at macdonalds on the way back and buy two burgers and two chips to bring home just for me. I can eat til I feel sick, then leave it a few mins then start again. I'm unable to leave any food on the plate. I shop everyday for food because I can't stop eating whilst food is in the house, so it's impossible to do a weekly shop. I have to buy something sweet every day or I feel anxious. More often than not I buy several sweet items just incase I need more late in the evening.
Right now I feel very full, but I'm still thinking about the indian meal for one I have in the fridge. Sometimes I think it's not so much about filling my stomach as it is an addiction to taste.
I've a feeling I won't pass the psych referral lol.

Yorkiegal you have just more or less described my previous eating habits to a T! I would be constantly eating and again it wasn't about feeling full but the taste and texture in my mouth. I wasn't so much addicted to the sweet stuff but ate almost constantly and would really enjoy thinking about what I could have later on. I woke up every day thinking about the food I could have, just the possibilities of what I could have made me happy. This last year I did try to choose healthier options but I ended up eating more of them because I thought as they were lower in calories I could eat more of them. lol didn't work obviously.

I'd spend about £40 a week on just my lunches for work alone and I work part time! I kept all my food at my mum's house so I couldn't eat in the evenings but I'd just order a takeaway instead.

You must tell your nurse all this, though, it is important.

I too eat like you ladies, you are not alone. So tomorrow you start afresh and be honest to the people that can help you and they will help you in return. We can all do this together!!;)
Nicky

ok i'll bite the bullet and print it here then. I never have three meals per day. Instead I go out and buy loads of food and eat most of it in one sitting. I don't mean binge as in cram it in very fast, but basically start eating and don't stop til it's all gone, even if half of it was meant to last til the next day.

Today I came home from M&S with two of their sandwiches, a box of 4 choc eclairs, a packet of chocolate caramels and some strawberries. All eaten within the first hour of arriving home. In addition I've had at least ten lollipops today, although that's from giving up smoking. If I'd bought more chocolate I would be eating it. I can easily put away one of those big fruit and nut bars within 5 mins. When I go to the supermarket I often stop in at macdonalds on the way back and buy two burgers and two chips to bring home just for me. I can eat til I feel sick, then leave it a few mins then start again. I'm unable to leave any food on the plate. I shop everyday for food because I can't stop eating whilst food is in the house, so it's impossible to do a weekly shop. I have to buy something sweet every day or I feel anxious. More often than not I buy several sweet items just incase I need more late in the evening.
Right now I feel very full, but I'm still thinking about the indian meal for one I have in the fridge. Sometimes I think it's not so much about filling my stomach as it is an addiction to taste.
I've a feeling I won't pass the psych referral lol.

Ohhh reading this was just like a mirror image of the way i used to be. The more i got in the more i wanted could'nt just eat 1 cake had got to be 2 or 3. Be honest and you will be fine there is light at the end of the tunnel promise. Janey:D

thanks guys. it means a lot to know i'm not alone in these eating habits.

Yorkie, we have all done and are still doing it! If we were carrot eating all day long we wouldn't be going for surgery in the first place. You won't shock anyone hun, good luck with your appt, i hope it goes really well for you and you are not long waiting for your surgery xx

Hope it all goes well and good luck

xx

Apologies. For some reason I was convinced that yesterday was friday. I was all ready to set off for my appointment then I realised I was a day early. Must be keen! It's this afternoon at 2.30. Will let you know how I get on.

Back