• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long does the process take?

So, I first approached my GP in November 2012.

Sent to dietician, in April 2013, referred to counselling (brilliant) from October to March.

Inbetween, I've seen a consultant, who told me 'well, great news you've made it this far', we spoke a bit about my expectations, but nothing since.

I have read that some journeys have been much quicker than this, so does anyone have any ideas?

I'm in Leicestershire.

EB

Hi
im around 18 months down the line had all the sleep tests/bloods/quack visits under my belt and had 1 visit to the hospital were im (fingers x)will be having my op im due back again in may 2014
hope that is of some help

I think it depends on what hospital also depends on current health. All in all I've been told will be 9 months for me from start to finish asking as I hit my weight loss target.

each hospital has different procedures they follow it seems as some are like weeks others years i would have thought they would all be the same

For me from first time I saw weight management team it's 6 months from 1st appointment, it would of been sooner as they wanted me approved for funding in feb after only 2 months but I ended up being rushed in for emergency gall bladder surgery by the bariatric surgeon that will be doing my bypass, he got me an appointment in clinic within 3 weeks post op and have me surgery date there and then he tried for May but with the 2 bank holidays he was too busy so 2/6/14 is my op date only thought about having the surgery in November. Went to the seminar last week and no one there knew the date or what operation they were having.
A friend at works going the same route as me and she's been told it'll be atleast next year before she sees the surgeon

I was first referred to the weight management scheme here in portsmouth towards the end of 2011 actually had appointment with them and started the programme in the march of 2012 which lasted six months, but at the time they were happy with my progress, so i carried on attending a well known weight loss group and still do attend one. saw my gp again last year and had a moan at him. he was lovely but said carry on and come back and see me in a few months.

I saw hime the beginning of the year and and he referred me to the bariatric physician and saw her at the biginning of april have the seminar to attend the beginning of may and the referral is in the process of being done to the hospital, the physician said i meet the criteria for wls and probably wouldn't get a date till the end of the year. I work at the hospital operating theatres and have spoken to them and they said bring a copy of the referral in and hand it to them in person so i may be able to hurry things along a little

so my weight loss surgery journey has taken the best part of 2 years at the moment

Well, here I still am, 2 years on. I phoned the bariatric dept at the hospital, and the chap was concerned I hadn't heard anything - fallen through the net was a phrase!
So I have an appointment next week. I don't mean to sound narky, but about time.

Ohhh I'm pleased you manage, oh my I'm just over a year and still looking at another 5 months to go...the waiting is a bi*ch. Good luck with the appointment

I went to seminar Jun/July 2013 had my 1st appt late Aug 2013 I think! Went to see consultant Feb 2014 who gave the go ahead for my bypass I had my endoscopy April 2014 then i was offered surgery the end of Aug 2014 but I wasn't able to due to being too close to my holiday so it was delayed until 28th Oct 2014. I was at Sunderland. Reading some of your comments I feel really lucky I seemed to have got my op quite quickly! X

I was referred by my GP in November 2013.

Operation 4th July 2014 - and they apologised for the 'wait' lol.

I waited 7 months from referral to operation. St Mary's said I should have only waited 26 weeks. Which is why they apologised!

I thought I'd still be waiting now!!

St Mary's have an amazing Bariatric team xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Mine was pretty fast referred august 2013 saw surgeon had seminar October 2013 placed on list then removed temporarily placed back on list in Feb had op April

I ended up doing an 80 mile round trip to be in the room 45 seconds while he told me he was discharging me back to the dietician. We'll start again in the New Year, with a view to talking about the surgery after 20 weeks.

I don't mean to sound - well - *****y, but each appointment is an 80 mile round trip, and an afternoon off work. I now have to give this some serious thought, I can't afford this, in time or money.

I know it must be hard but don't loose heart. The same thing kind of happened to me. I did all the tests etc and just when I thought my next step was to meet the surgeon I was told to see a dietician and that they would review my case in 9 months. the 9 months was up in sept and I'm seeing the surgeon tomorrow. They seem to make you jump through hoops and make it hard, but stick with it. It will be worth it in the end. Gill

I know its difficult on the never-ending waiting but from experience the best thing to do is carry on with normal life.... don't put your life on hold sweetness :) do what you can in the mean time to help your cause, and should it take longer than expected your already taking steps to that new you.....and when the time is right everything will fall into place x x x x wishing you a magical Yuletide and a fantastic New year and a new you :) x x x x

Back