• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

1200 calories or less, no weight loss

Oasiscalm

I could really do with some advice.

I've had my band for two and half months now and my weight loss is non existent. In the first six weeks or so I lost 17lbs. Since then nothing.

My first fill was a bit of a disaster, the initial fill of 4ml was too tight and I was reduced to 3ml which has given me slight restriction. I am scheduled to have another fill next week which I think will probably be about 3.5ml.

Despite eating on average 1200 calories a day and often less (I tracked it religiously on my fitness pal), I have not lost any weight in the past month. I am confused as to how this is possible. I mentioned this to my surgeon but he dismissed me and said its normal rather dismissively.

Please help as I'm at my wits end.

I REALLY don't want to disgcourage you, but I would like tell you what happened to a women a was sharing a room with after my RNY.

She had a band put in 2 years ago.. lost a little bit and never lost again.. She eventually got a revision to the RNY. So I think your doc was right, it is normal. I know surgeons in my area who don't offer the band anymore because the low sucess rate. Although I have heard some people on this board who are very happy with theirs. Perhaps their the best people to help you with this.

Don't despair just yet, you need to look at the bigger picture first. (No pun intended)

You are having enough calories for weight loss, but what is a typical days menu. The main thing is that you are having enough quality protein first above all. What carbohydrates are you having? Are you eating normally and working with your band, high calorie slider foods if you are having restriction problems aren't a great plan.

Are you also having 3 'meals' a day, stopping when you are full, eating for the 20 minute rule, and only if you need to are having a couple of sensible snacks in between meals. No grazing!

Drink enough water, aiming for 1.5 litres, with NAS if you need to.

Are you exercising? Are you doing too much or too little?

Every 10 - 14 days I do a version for the current latest fad diet of fasting, but I do it as the milk diet with 4 pints of skimmed milk for a couple of days. It keeps me on track.

Is your fill level in your band correct, are you at that sweet spot yet?

I have lost 35kg with the band since last July, it comes in fits and starts, and occasionally do go up a kilo or two, but overall in the right direction. I've found it easier since I stopped doing really high amounts of cardio exercise and lots and lots of more 'ladies' classes. I have had perfect restriction since November. Sadly my port is a complete nightmare so in 4 weeks I am having a RNY to maintain the weightloss.

Jemma's right, try to look at the bigger picture for the moment. It's early days. 1200 calories is a healthy amount to be eating,if its of the right food. I lost best on 1100-1200 a day, the times when I went much lower, ie c 800, it really slowed down the loss to almost nothing. Your body needs time to work out what's best for it. Personally, i do think it does good sometimes to confuse it, by varying what you are eating and how much you are eating. My average was 1100-1200 a day .... Over a week ... But what worked for me was actually around 1000 5 days a week, then a couple of shock days when the calories were c 1600-1700 (those days slider food did creep in). A bit like the fasting diet but nowhere near so extreme. Not advocating it ... It's just what worked for me. But protein protein protein first and foremost then the veggies and carbs :) stick with it, rather than getting disheartened, otherwise you may step off the band wagon and find it more difficult to get back on facing in the right direction :rolleyes: xxx

Back