• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First fill today...couple questions!

Léonie_

Hi all

I've been through the info I've got but it's not very clear on some things so wondered of you could help??

It doesn't say anything about whether I'm restricted for any fluids or food before hand??

Secondly,do you know how long it takes??

As always it's much appreciated x

Personally I have always found it easier to have nothing but fluids before-hand so nothing is hanging around in the pouch to interfere with judging the fill amount properly.
Regarding how long it takes, depends who does it sometimes..when the surgeon did some of mine it was in very quickly and over quickly but a little longer with the nurse.
Can you feel your port through your skin fairly well yet?
I think mine have gotten quicker as I have lost more padding because the port is more obvious.
I have only ever had very basic fills, so lay down , needle in and sit up to drink...when enough in the surgeon takes the needle out and voila.
I know some people have barium swallow fills but my provider doesn't do them as a matter of course but someone else will be able to give you the gen on that.
After fill, at least a day on fluids to let everything calm down as the fill process itself makes everything agitated in there and you will feel very tight.
Usually I am fine to eat the next day but everyone is told different things from their providers. Not had any problems with normal food the next day from my experience.

My first fill was done under a fluroscope with a barium swallow, just to make sure all was in the right place.

But not all providers do this.

Its fairly painless and usually over and done with in ten minutes :)

I have always been told nothing to eat or drink 6 hours b4( luckily all my fills have been @ 8am so not had too starve all day lol) . had one dun under x ray with barium swallow and other laying down......didnt take very long at all.....was in and out in about ten mins in both of these times. ;-) Good luck when u have urs x x x

Thanks guys

Mines at 5pm so bit of a bummer but hey ho!

I've two pieces of literature, one from THG and one from surgicare! Surgicare say it's by x ray and THG are saying they don't do it by x ray anymore so guess I'll have to wait and see!

Is it pretty painless when you're having it done?

I can feel the port now I keep poking it it's really weird :D

hi ive had millions of fills 98% in and out laydown legs up tense your belly in you feel a scratch of the needle on the port surface weird sensation when the needle comes out its sort of a popping suction type feeling fine though just hope your port is easy to get to you have probably had yours now i see it was at 5 tonight ive another one next week im nearly up to proper restriction at the mo i have 10mls in a 14ml band but mines been a long process getting to the right restriction hope you are not too sore its reall quite painless if they find the port the first time!! hope all went wellx

hi ive had millions of fills 98% in and out laydown legs up tense your belly in you feel a scratch of the needle on the port surface weird sensation when the needle comes out its sort of a popping suction type feeling fine though just hope your port is easy to get to you have probably had yours now i see it was at 5 tonight ive another one next week im nearly up to proper restriction at the mo i have 10mls in a 14ml band but mines been a long process getting to the right restriction hope you are not too sore its reall quite painless if they find the port the first time!! hope all went wellx

Thanks hun..it didn't end up going..it's all on another thread I just loaded.

Thank you though, it helps for when I actually get it done x

Back