• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Needing a fill? Or just the way it is . . . .pls help me banders!

top_kat

Hi everyone,

Am just looking for some suggestions/help from some experienced banders . . .

I had my first fill 2 weeks ago today at 5 weeks post op and had 5mls put into my 14ml band. But from the time its been done, I have felt little restriction but the opposite of feeling really hungry!

I do not feel particularly hungry in the mornings (this has always been the case) from lunchtime onwards I could eat any types of food and if I wasn't controlling it strictly by calorie counting could eat what I wanted.

But this week has been a nightmare, Ive had daily exercise, and visits to the gym, limiting calories to 1200 a day (altho yesterday I was over because I was just soooooo darn hungry!)

I have had little carbs, with my meals mainly of protein and vegetables or salad, but, I am still finding that after both lunch and dinner that I could eat more.

I have my timer and even eating a mouthful every minute as advised by my provider and walking away after 20 mins, but because I am then not at all full, I could still eat and then I find myself looking for food, and "grazing" during the evening and although I have limited to things such as dried crackers or fruit wasn't something that I was expecting and the dried foods I am then eating, still do not help to make me feel full.

I limit my carbs, as these are a danger to me in terms of weight loss, so my main meals are chicken breast or fish with salad or crunchy vegetables. Lunchtime I've been having tuna with melba toasts or rice cakes and a yoghurt.

but even tho my foods are "dry" (apart from my yoghurts obviously lol) I find that I do not have restriction in terms of what I could eat or the amount I can eat or indeed the pace at which I can eat it.

I find this a bit unnerving and I am wondering whether at this point it would be advisable for me to attend to have a fill or whether there is something else that is likely to be behind this.

Ive dropped a line to my bariatric nurse and provider, but just wondering whether this would suggest that a fill is needed to get things going as they should. I've had will power to limit everything from the day I even started on my pre-op, but I know it won't last forever!

Thoughts?

Kat x

Last edited:

top_kat

In the past couple of days, I've also got a real pain
inside around my stomach, which today is really uncomfortable (and similar to how "bruised" I felt post surgery, is it possible that the band has moved or slipped which would be causing this pain and the lack of restriction
or is it likely that pain is just coincidence or from exercising? or what :(

Feeling rather blegh today!

top_kat

Thank you :)

I've just had a long chat with my bariatric nurse from HW and she has been great, we spoke at length at what Im eating and the type of foods which is good, but in terms of restriction it isn't. I'm booked in for a fill on saturday (and then its back to liquids lol) but she said I've been doing and eating the right things, but it does sound like I need a fill to stop that hunger.

We also talked at length about the pain and it seems as if its fallout from the gym activity and that I will have to speak to ladyzone when I go back in to avoid using the machine which is like doing sit ups until about 3 months post op and even then, limiting the crunches and abdominal work. I explained that it feels like Im bruised and Im actually swollen around the port area, and she said it can take 3 months for the sutures and inside stitching to dissolve and fix and that for that length of time, I should be avoiding certain things.

I feel much more at ease about what is happening and where things are going, and having a fill on saturday, but she said try and restrict still what Im eating at the moment before saturday which I will do.

I do feel much better for having spoken to them tho and got to dig out the painkillers and ice pack for this pain. Its hard not to worry or panic when this kicks in tho . .

miserable

Oh top Kat, u can so understand your frustration and worry exercise, the nurse is right you should not to admiral exercise, you don't want to damaged you pouch... for the fills, sadly you news to be patient and keep going until you are at a level of restriction. It took me for my fourth fill and be at 7.5ml in 10ml band to fill some level of restriction. Before hand I could eat everything and to a normal portion. So had to really watch myself. Even then I could still managed a pork chop. Now at 8 ml in 10 ml band I am satisfied on a side plate of food. Don't be discourage though, you will het there it might just take a bit longer is all. Good luck xxx

ThinnerJemima

Here all the time.....
I'm hungry all the time and my surgeon won't put any more in the band :cry:

Not sure where to go from here really......

top_kat

I'm hungry all the time and my surgeon won't put any more in the band :cry:

Not sure where to go from here really......

Why will they not put any more into your band? How much do you have in there etc? is there anyone you can approach for help?.

My provider said to me today it will usually take a good few fills to get to that point, I guess i was expecting it to last bit longer after the first fill . . .the downside is, its a good hour each way to get it done, but at least this time I don't have to take time out of work.

But it is difficult and its hard to know what is going on, but I have found that feeling of being hungry after eating really hard these past few days. Today is a little better, but I think that is more to do with my stomach area being swollen from the pain around the port.

miserable

Hang in there it does get easier, ask me or Jo for that matter, we both ll tell you that some night especially at the beginning we went to bed hungry. But now one year out, would do it all over again

JO28172

miserable said:
Hang in there it does get easier, ask me or Jo for that matter, we both ll tell you that some night especially at the beginning we went to bed hungry. But now one year out, would do it all over again

Well mis! How the devil are ya Hun! Long time no see :)

Ladies you need your fills but at the same time it is best being done bit by bit. I would do my toast test! If I could polish a slice of toast off without a pause or struggle I needed a fill :D but seriously I still go by this now! I know if I'm restricted enough this way....I should need a break half way thru.

ThinnerJemima

Here all the time.....
I've had 3 fills, my surgeon made it clear that I'm not getting any more and I need to learn to live with how it is, which isn't what I really want to hear.

I don't feel enough restriction, but I don't want the band to migrate so I do see his point.

But I'm the one that has to live with it. Not overly happy at the moment with things.

Was thinking about going elsewhere to get another fill, but have had the reality check already in the stupidity of een thinking it.

Just don't want to be hungry all the time:(

Kay1962

Hi I have had five fills now have 8.5ml in 14 ml band and only now feeling restriction altho I can still eat quite large portions of food like salad but definately restriction on meat. It does take a while to get the right restriction and the nurse said that they would probably go to 11ml in my band over the next year. Jemima how much do you have in your band now. It is really frustrating when you feel you don't have enough restriction but just hang in there and persevere - hopefully we will all get to where we dream of.

ThinnerJemima

Here all the time.....
I have 8.1ml in a 12ml band. My port isn't attached now either which is also a bit weird as it can move.

Love my band, but am also currently hating it.

SUNSHINE

Hi. Your provider should be helping you until u get to the right restriction. How long is your after care for? I also don't think your port should be moving around.

Wobbly71

Hi kat

I've had one fill 4ml in a 14ml band. I think I've felt hungrier but still using a tea plate and am eating 800-900 cals a day.

If you are exercising you should think about including healthy carbs. I know we all think they bad but u need the carbs for energy for the exercise. This was the one thing my dietician picked up on me when I emailed her what I was eating. She told me to have carbs at each meal.

I have started doing this but still eat my protein veg-salad first. I have my next fill on 30th october but having read the posts on here I am expecting a few fills before I get it right.

You are doing great x

top_kat

Thanks hun, if it was just a little bit of hunger, I'd work with that, but it is after lunchtime and constant and whatever I eat I am never left feeling not hungry, and the fact that I can eat anything, in anyway isn't good. Thankfully when I was talking through things with the nurse, she was the one who suggested about coming in for a fill to see what they could do . . .I wasn't expecting to have or need one so soon, but to be honest, since I had my fill my hunger levels have just gone through the roof!

Will find out tomorrow whats going on and see what they do . . .bit of a trek which is the only downside, but if it gets things working for me and I don't want to put on anymore . . .losing 3lbs in the beginning of the week, to putting on 2lb in the second half up to weigh in, isn't good . .. but feel more positive today about things and will feel better when this pain eases too . . .going to go and speak to the trainers at the gym today with regards to what I am doing, as one of the pieces of kit in the circuit I need to avoid until at least 3 months post op.

Hope you're doing ok wobbly!

Wobbly71

I think I'm doing ok. Only weighing in when I go for fill so will be 4 weeks since last fill when I go on 30th october x

All we can do is follow provider advice. I'm like you about an hour each way to clinic. It will all be worth it xx

I haven"t eat anything "bad" so just trying to keep focused x