• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

how long before you decide you hve no restriction

emma&alex

me again with another question

well, i had my first fill on tuesday, and im allowed to start getting back to normal now. for breakfast i just had scrammbled egg (2) & mushrooms. i can tell ive eaten & im not hungry but i dont really feel full. now i know its quite soft, and to feel better restriction you have crunchier drier things, but i just feel like since having the band (i know its still early days), but ive been restricting myself, rather than the band restricting me.
i have had a steady weight loss, but its not due to feeling full, its due to stopping halfway through meals because thats what i thought id have to do...rather than feeling full & having to.

i just wondered, if i dont feel restriction over the next few days, when is the earliest they allow you to have another fill?

im going away on 21st, and i can't really have another one before then, as it says not to fly within 2 weeks..and im already cutting it fine with my last fill.

editted to also ask...
i know this is a silly question, but the whole not drinking an hour after eating thing. its not an issue or anything..but what is the actual reason for this? is it because it'd wash the food sitting in the pouch into your stomach giving you a feeling of no restriction? or is it because it will sit on top of the food in the pouch & maybe stretch it somehow?
also, how do you go about having maybe soup & ryvita. would the soup work the same as a drink? and id have to have the before eating the ryvita?

i know thats a really silly question..but i have wondered it a couple of time now so im just gonna ask

Last edited:
I'm sure you'll get all the answers Em., just wishing you well and I think you are inspirational.... keep in touch and love to Alex.... it's looking so good for you! xxx

me again with another question

well, i had my first fill on tuesday, and im allowed to start getting back to normal now. for breakfast i just had scrammbled egg (2) & mushrooms. i can tell ive eaten & im not hungry but i dont really feel full. now i know its quite soft, and to feel better restriction you have crunchier drier things, but i just feel like since having the band (i know its still early days), but ive been restricting myself, rather than the band restricting me.

hiya emma what your feeling right now is perfectly normal and most patients dont get restriction from the very 1st fill it can sometimes take 2-3 fills before you will feel any restriction......this is normal though so please do not panick as restriction needs to be built up graduallly rather than going to tight to quick as that can be alarming when your not used to restriction.
i have had a steady weight loss, but its not due to feeling full, its due to stopping halfway through meals because thats what i thought id have to do...rather than feeling full & having to.

Feeling full with a band is very different to the fullness feeling that you have been used to the pouch should feel full and hold the food for longer when restriction is there, if your not experiencing that feeling yet then the band is most likley too slack and the food will be dropping through to the lower stomach and there for you wont feel fullness as you should with a band.

i just wondered, if i dont feel restriction over the next few days, when is the earliest they allow you to have another fill?

it all depends on your providor and there waiting lists for fills, i guess its just a matter and ringing and asking them when you can have one, if you dont tell them how your feeling then they cant be aware you need a fill x

im going away on 21st, and i can't really have another one before then, as it says not to fly within 2 weeks..and im already cutting it fine with my last fill.

give them a ring and see if you can arrange an appointment for when you return x

editted to also ask...
i know this is a silly question, but the whole not drinking an hour after eating thing. its not an issue or anything..but what is the actual reason for this? is it because it'd wash the food sitting in the pouch into your stomach giving you a feeling of no restriction? or is it because it will sit on top of the food in the pouch & maybe stretch it somehow?

drinking with a meal will either wash the food through the pouch wich defeats the object of the band being there and this will allow you to eat more which isnt a good idea, or it will not have a path way down because of the food and make you vomit, thats the 2 main reasons for that.
also, how do you go about having maybe soup & ryvita. would the soup work the same as a drink? and id have to have the before eating the ryvita?

yes soup 1st then the ryvita, but the soup will soften the ryvita and turn it into a slider food so be carefull with that or you wont feel any fullness.

i know thats a really silly question..but i have wondered it a couple of time now so im just gonna ask
:) i hope my answers helped x

Liz xxx

thanks for your support bev xx

and thank you for answering all that Liz, I know there was loads there. xxx

Hi Emma,

You may remember I had my fill on 1st September and confess to feeling like you. i spoke to my provider and I have now got an appt for 4th Oct for next band fill. They need to leave one month between each fill. Don't feel any restriction and my weight loss has stopped even though I am sticking to healthy choices. Roll on 4th Oct - also seeing dietitian then too. x

Hi Emma

Liz has answered pretty much everything for you so the only thing I can add is that I think most providers say allow a month between fills. I would advise to book one - you can always cancel at a later date.

Hi There,

Please don't worry. It has taken me 6 months to get restriction that suits me. My provider refuses to do more than 0.5-0.75ml at a time.
Of course, it is a pain when you're dying to feel the benefits of the surgery you have had. I don't know if 6 months is normal but this is how it has been for me which is why I get so angry when people assume that because you have had the band- you should have lost 6 stone in 3 months or something equally as ridiculous.
The only benefit of this is that I really do feel like I have worked hard and done this in a way that has caused me no harm.
He're's to a gradual healthy weightloss from now on. I consider that my WLS journey started when my restriction was correct. Everything else is just gravy.

Hmmmmm. Gravy. Lol
x

Hi There,

Please don't worry. It has taken me 6 months to get restriction that suits me. My provider refuses to do more than 0.5-0.75ml at a time.
Of course, it is a pain when you're dying to feel the benefits of the surgery you have had. I don't know if 6 months is normal but this is how it has been for me which is why I get so angry when people assume that because you have had the band- you should have lost 6 stone in 3 months or something equally as ridiculous.
The only benefit of this is that I really do feel like I have worked hard and done this in a way that has caused me no harm.
He're's to a gradual healthy weightloss from now on. I consider that my WLS journey started when my restriction was correct. Everything else is just gravy.

Hmmmmm. Gravy. Lol
x

So encouraging to read your post. I had first band fill 1st Sept no restriction felt so now another one is booked for 4th Oct. I had my op done by the same surgeon as you - Mr Super. Good Luck with your journey x:):)

iheartny is right, speaking further down the line I just wanted to reassure you. Slow progress and a wait for restriction is what I have had as well... don't worry just do what you can and it will slip off at the rate that's right for you. Perfect restriction all the way through is rare, it needs adjusting long term sometimes too. I have had fills, a defill and now I probably am about right give or take a half mil.
I am only OK if I eat sensibly, I have to keep an eye on what I'm having and exercise daily (usually stick within a certain calorie limit that's right for my current weight & activity level) and it's gradually easing off.

Back