• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First Holiday since the band

Mynewlife

Hiya

right, I am off to Vegas on Tuesday. Last year when I went, I went 4 1/2 stone heavier, and for those of you that have been to the states, you know the portion sizes out there. I was wondering how to deal with the food this time? Could I legally ask for a child size meal? I dont eat anywhere near as much as I used to and begrudge paying full price for a meal that I will only probably eat 25% of. Does anyone know if they would be able to accommodate and adult with a smaller appetite. I realise that there are people in the states that have had band surgery, but I havent been to the states in over 16 months and wonder how I am going to cope this time?
My husband thinks it will be ok for us to share a meal, as he doesnt eat that much either, would this be allowed for us to share etc? Any suggestions.

MNL :talk017:

I am going away in 6 weeks time, 5wks after ive had my band fitted, luckily its all inclusive so i can just have little bits and it wont be wasting money on a full meal, I would ring up or call in to the place u are going to eat and ask before you just turn up, then saves u being embarassed if they say no xx

Good idea PinkDaisy, would save some embarrassment if I called ahead.

Thanks also Gaynor, I appreciate your response to this thread. I'll let you know all about the legal stuff I did while I am out there, but cant divulge the non legal stuff. I think I might sign up for the Pole Dancing 101 that they offer. Every time I see that I think, god, I wish I had the guts to do it. If I get up the courage, I'll be sure to get some pictures and post them lol (course that will only happen when hell freezes over).

MNL:)

I Been to the states few times and we shared a meal as the size of em......well..........blooming huge....................

Hi there,

I have been given a card to carry that says I have a band, this often is useful to show restaurants if I want a smaller portion.

Contact your provider to see if they do something similar...;):)

know what you mean blue diamond. the meals are so huge. Last year my husband and I went to a deli in one of the hotel on the Vegas strip, and we ordered one sandwich between us, as they were massive. We ate a 1/4 each, we could not manage anymore, must have been about 3 pounds of meat in the thing, you had to use a knife and fork to eat it with.

MNL:)

Hi there,

I have been given a card to carry that says I have a band, this often is useful to show restaurants if I want a smaller portion.

Contact your provider to see if they do something similar...;):)

Yeah I have one of those cards, thats a great Idea. I was told to carry it on me incase of an accident, but I will take it with me to Vegas, and then can prove that I can only eat smaller amounts.

Caz, I owe you a pair of Elvis Sunglasses, or would you prefer the fake Elvis sideburns?(lol)

MNL:rolleyes:

Hi MNL
The card sounds like a great idea i would try and get a smaller portion my experience of america is that they go out of their way to please and i'm sure if you explain the reason they should accommodate you. Have a wonderful holiday and look forward to hearing all about the legal stuff ha ha x

ooooh tell me more about this card, what does it say? how do i get one lol? can i make one?

Yeah I have one of those cards, thats a great Idea. I was told to carry it on me incase of an accident, but I will take it with me to Vegas, and then can prove that I can only eat smaller amounts.

Caz, I owe you a pair of Elvis Sunglasses, or would you prefer the fake Elvis sideburns?(lol)

MNL:rolleyes:

Oh most definitely the sideburns LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL....:D:D:D:D:D:D

ooooh tell me more about this card, what does it say? how do i get one lol? can i make one?

I got two given to me by my surgeon after I had my operation. Both are credit card size, but not hard plastic, its sort of laminated. One has a coloured diagram on the front showing a stomach with the band around it, and advises that the person carrying it has had weight loss surgery etc. The other card, is same size and type but has the type of band I have in listed on it, etc. I will make sure to carry both on me when I go. You should get at least one of these, if not both after you have had your surgery done. Hope that helps.

MNL:eek:

Hiya

right, I am off to Vegas on Tuesday. Last year when I went, I went 4 1/2 stone heavier, and for those of you that have been to the states, you know the portion sizes out there. I was wondering how to deal with the food this time? Could I legally ask for a child size meal? I dont eat anywhere near as much as I used to and begrudge paying full price for a meal that I will only probably eat 25% of. Does anyone know if they would be able to accommodate and adult with a smaller appetite. I realise that there are people in the states that have had band surgery, but I havent been to the states in over 16 months and wonder how I am going to cope this time?
My husband thinks it will be ok for us to share a meal, as he doesnt eat that much either, would this be allowed for us to share etc? Any suggestions.

MNL :talk017:

My husband who is an American has just said that most American restaurants won't have a problem with this...But there could be a minimum spend...

The Golden Corral is a good chain that has a buffet....however, there are some pretty calorific stuff in there too that would defo have slider foods so be careful...There is Ruby Tuesdays that do some great light food.

There are so many places to go, you will be spoilt for choice, but although as you say portion sizes can be huge over there, there are many healthy options over there too as they cater far more for folks trying to lose weight than we do.

Hubby reckons you'll be fine with the kiddie portions though.

(((hugs)))

Have a great time in Vegas. You could also just order a started rather than a main cource Thats what I do In the uk

I am an American and I always have shared meals with my mom or bought a kids meal. Be careful about ordering a starter because in the States they are meant for sharing and usually could feed 3-4 people.

Have a wonderful time!

Also, even if you aren't an OAP, most restaurants have a senior citizens menu with much smaller portions. If you explain the circumstances, places will work with you.

Shame the british don't follow the Americans lead. about 6 months ago I went into a local establishment (cafe) and asked If I could have child size portion as I was portion controlling for them to tell me NO. I explained my situation etc and was still told NO, So needless to say I don't dine there no more.....when ever u watch the programmes on the telly , biggest loser, you are wot u eat,etc etc they always tell you if the establishment you wish to eat eat cannot accomodate your needs, eat somewhere that will......After all your the customer and pay good money to eat there and if they cannot accomodate for you , spend ya money somewhere that will.

All the best - MeJulie xx

Back