• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First step tomorrow!

Susie-Sue

So tomorrow I am ringing Nuffield to arrange a consultation. Don't know whether to go to Glasgow or Newcastle so any recommendations would be much appreciated. Just a thought, do you have to speak to your GP before going private for a gastric band?
Feeling nervous even picking up the phone and haven't told anyone yet of my decision.

Hello susie sue!
All the very best on the start to changing your life, I cant offer any advise but im sure someone will swing by soon with guidance

Good luck getting your journey up and running.
I was an NHS patient myself so can't really offer any advice sorry. Best decision I ever made and sure it'll be the same for you.

Hi Susie Sue, Good luck in arranging your consultation, go for it. I suppose being in Carlise, it'll be six and half a dozen if you choose Newcastle, or Glasgow. You do not have to talk to your own GP first if you are going Private, however, I did mention it to my GP, and she was fully supportive. Obviously they will need to know if and when you get the op. You'll get a letter from your surgeon to give to your GP.

Thank you and yes you're right there's not a lot of difference travel wise. Both cities have Nuffield clinics where the consultations and the surgery can take place which makes sense. I looked at the Hospital group but it seems they have clinics in Newcastle and Glasgow but the surgery happens elsewhere.
I saw my doctor at the end of last year and she did all kinds of tests to see why it was so difficult for me to lose weight. Surprise,surprise they all came back clear and she said I was very healthy just morbidly obese!!! x

is the NHS not an option then Susie if your in the morbidly obese range ?

Unfortunately funding is very difficult to get in Cumbria and although she used the term 'morbidly obese' my BMI is 40.1 and therefore not deemed high enough.

It not fair it ends up a post code lottery, guidelines should be nationwide. Anyway how did you get on when you phoned.

Yes, I went with the Hospital Group, I live near Edinburgh, I flew to Birmingham for my op, but attend the Clinic in the centre of Glasgow for my dieticians and fills ect. I found the Hospital Group slightly cheaper, even with the travel. I certainly can't complain about my care. Good Luck with whatever you do... x

Well after a few false starts this morning, I finally did the deed and have a consultation next Monday at the Nuffield Glasgow. It's with Healthier Weight. I can't believe I've done it. I was going to tell my husband but I've bottled it. He was tired tonight plus I needed to make a birthday cake so I've left it until tomorrow.....I'm really worried what he will say..
It seems such a lot of money and will decimate my savings but I just feel I've got to do it.

Good luck! Go and ask any questions you can back out anytime you don't feel happy! Well done on booking x

Just make sure they have plenty of experience in the procedure

I was banded in the Nuffield through assured weight loss group August 14. My band started leaking and they had no one who had any experience of band replacement - check how many procedures the group or your surgeon carry out each year.

In hindsight I would have gone to England or Belgium

Good luck c

Just make sure they have plenty of experience in the procedure

I was banded in the Nuffield through assured weight loss group August 14. My band started leaking and they had no one who had any experience of band replacement - check how many procedures the group or your surgeon carry out each year.

In hindsight I would have gone to England or Belgium

Good luck c
What happened Kurstywursty, were you referred somewhere else or did they fix it at Glasgow?

They went for a partial replacement of tubes and port and left the band in place. That has worked thankfully but I was having a nanny Rooney with them about wanting to do the repair with no previous experience. Mrs sharp and Mr Gibson done it together in the end. But that was the suggestion for the full replacement. I was not a happy bunny at the time

Thank you. It's with Mr Gibson that I have my consultation on Monday, I'll make sure I ask lots of questions! I plucked up courage last night to tell my husband and he's going to come with me. I keep reading conflicting information so it will be good to hear the process first hand tbh I'm bricking it !

Only natural Su it is a big deal. I actually trust Mr Gibson now and feel I would be in safe hands if I need to go under the knife again. He had loads of experience with bands and sleeves just not replacing/revision surgery
I'm have just been unlucky. Plenty of success stories on here. Mr Gibson banded Sharon three days after me Galloway done my op in the Nuffield and swears by him

I am still under Mr Gibson for the remainder of my two year package. I am going for a fill in the 22nd October.

Good luck for your consultation x

Back