• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice on who to book private appt with at Leeds Spire

Beth72

Hello, I'm new to this site. A new years resolution to myself is to try to sort my weight out once & for all after 25 years of yo yo dieting, losing up to 4 stone, then putting it all back on. It's got to the stage where it's affecting every aspect of my life, both physically (aching knees going upstairs & unable to get up from the floor without a struggle) & mentally (bad self image/worth & anxiety/depression due to this). So......I've done a bit of research on google & 2 names have come up for the Spire in Leeds - a Stephen Pollard & Simon Dexter. I'm after advice from anyone who has any experience/recommendations for who to book my appt with privately. Secondly, I'm unsure which surgery to go for, altho I guess the consultation may advise on the best for me. The band appeals as it's less invasive & quicker recovery as I have 2 small children to look after, but reading about band slippage complications scares me (although I understand they aren't too common. I have around 9 stone to lose :-(

Thanks in advance for any advice - my next challenge will be picking up the phone to arrange an appointment - my hubby is really reluctant for me to have the surgery as he fears the worst, but I see it as positive if you have a good surgeon & reading some of the stories on here & I feel that I've exhausted every diet etc going!!

I am not near you and havent gone through Leeds. I actually had Healthier Weight as my provider and had my surgery at Spire Birmingham. They have been fab.

I researched for so many years and finally had my consultation last july and then surgery at the end of August. I've lost 6 stones so far, and still have more than that to go but my band has changed my life.

Being a single mum and having to look after my son etc was one of the main reasons I didn't want more invasive surgery, my provider agreed with that decision although they did explain fully the other procedures. A lot also depends on your eating habits and any "issues" you may have in relation to eating.

I would say, research and read as much as you can about all procedures and obtain information from a couple of different providers. I know my own provider has a clinic etc in manchester and I cannot fault their pre, during and post op aftercare. I also have 2 years after care, but also 3 years insurance against any problems

My own personal fears of anaesthetic was something that played a part to me and it was important that I found a provider and surgeon which had a zero mortality rate but also above average positive results from the band - hence why I chose the provider that I did even though they are much further from me than someone who is literally less than a 5 minute walk away.

I understand that exhaustion tho, dieting for me was something as a part of my life for 26 years and although i follow a strict eating plan now, it is in a positive way. A band is something that you need to work with, it takes a lot of thinking about in terms of what you eat - it doesn't ultimately stop you making bad choices in foods or what you eat so you have to be in a position to make those decisions and choices moving forward.

For me, its been the best decision I've made.

Wow Kat, well done!! 6 stone weight loss in such a short time is amazing!! You must be so chuffed, as well as needing a new wardrobe! :)

Thanks for your advice...my biggest problem is, it's hard finding out who is the best surgeon to book consultation with, as don't know anyone around here who has had a band (admittedly!), so can only go by what I read on the web, rather than personal recommendation. Mr Simon Dexter's website says he's got 1 of lowest complication rate in country & also know Mr Pollard does a lot, esp bypasses. I'm sure they are both excellent, then again, the websites are bound to sell them esp for private surgery!

How did you find your particular surgeon? Maybe I'm could be looking at a better place on the web?

You also mentioned eating habits & still being able to eat badly on the band - my eating is awful at min & I always seem to only want bad stuff - addiction & comforter to stress mainly ....so I'm hoping the band will be a good tool to make me feel fuller & get me into better habits. I have successfully lost 5-6 stone before so can eat well sometimes, just don't seem to have any motivation at the moment, so hoping band will be a good aid if I can actually see weight changes!

Did you go along the private route? I also don't want anyone to know I've had the band as most of my friends are slim & don't understand food issues!!

Thanks again for advice xx

Why don't you go along to one of their weight loss forums, or go to the support group that meets at Weetwood hall? They will be able to share their experiences.

I'm going to meet my consultant on Thursday- Jeremy something or other. I'm hoping for a bypass.

Hi Beth. Spire run info forums every so often so why not see if you can go to one. There is also a support group that meets at Weetwood hall. Wlsinfo.org.uk has details.

I'm having my consultation with Jeremy Haydn (sp?) tomorrow. As I'm NHS funded I didn't get to choose, but I'm happy with what I've read about him.

Let us know who you go with x

Hi, just seen your replies now Metherer - how did your consultation go? Are you definitely going ahead with the bypass rather than the sleeve or band? Have you got a date? Not heard of Jeremy but if he works for a teaching hospital in Leeds & private, sure he's good. Mr Dexter's secretary said she'd confirm when the next group at Weetwood is (she seemed to think 11th Feb, but wasn't sure?) - are you planning on going to one? X

Hi, hadn't realised both had posted!!

I won't be a able to get to the suppor group unfortunately, I live in Skipton and don't drive, so to get through after work and then cab out to Weetwood won't be possible on a Monday night.

Consultation went really well thanks. Definitely bypass, and mr Hayden agreed.

That's great news that it's been given go ahead - have you got a date? I live about 30 miles out of Leeds & have 2 small children, so not sure how feasible it would be to get there myself for support group. If you don't mind me asking, why did you decide on bypass over sleeve?

I had private consultation thinking of band, but Mr Dexter explained that, sleeve & bypass & didn't seem to sway towards any definitive surgery for me. After speaking to another weightloss group (healthier weight), I've been researching more into the sleeve as healthier weight suggested it may be easier to comply with than the band for me personally, so bit confused now as longer recovery time etc & lot more expensive if private!

No, I need to wait for a letter now. All I know is before the end if April, but could be as soon as a fortnight.

For me I need to not be able to eat as much, as portion control has been an ongoing thing for me. I also need the psychological push of dumping to put me off my sweet tooth, and he said that for the first year I won't feel nearly as hungry. Something to do with ghrellin I think.

The sleeve would be more likely to stretch out if I started eating too much again.

I think I'll stuck around on here after surgery as an online support group.

Back