• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Five days on pre op and having second thoughts- anyone else pulled out?

stripeytop

My op is on Monday 11th Jan and I started my pre op on Monday 28th Dec. It's not the milk diet, just very low fat (under 3 %) 1 meal a day. The rest is water.

So I have been doing ok and although i've not weighed myself I feel I have lost weight. Now I am questioning why I can't do this myself and why I'm putting myself through surgery (and paying for it) when I could just diet.

I know in my heart I am here because I can't stick to diets, but I feel so ashamed of myself for this. Husband is sitting firmly on the fence because he knows I have to make my own decision but he will support me either way.

My head is spinning and I feel tired keep thinking about it. Is this just pre op nerves? or do most people really want the op?

Hi

Its perfectly normal to feel like this but if we could do it by diet alone there wouldnt be so many of us taking such drastic measures to lose the weight.

You will probably lose weight on your pre op but its main purpose is to shrink the liver to make surgery easier.

I had my band fitted in April and went through a whole array of emotions, just try and remind your self why you wanted to do this.

Good luck x

I was exactly the same, even cried all the way to theatre and tried to get off the table as they were putting me under!!

I am now six weeks post op, 50lb down and feel great - its not the easy fix people assume, everyone here knows that, but I don't regret it for one minute.

All the best
Deb

Thanks for your replies. I was so determined and now I have just flopped. I haven't stopped doing the pre op diet so I guess that means something.

hi
snap, mins is on the same day but in manchester and i am very lucky its on the NHS but same emotions same thoughts same feelings.
try not to worry too much.
Helen
x

I was exactly the same. I lost 10lbs on my pre-op diet and I thought, if I can do this why don't I just have yet another go at losing the 100lbs that I've got to lose. My eldest son said, 'you are only sticking to this diet because it is short term and it is because you HAVE to do it, you have failed to keep your weight off every time' so I went ahead with the surgery. But you have got to be sure about it, it is your body and your life. It isn't an easy option, it is life changing and you have to be willing to accept those life changes.

Good luck with your decision.

I think I have had the same battle in my mind over recent months. I know I can loose weight myself without the Op, but I also know from past experience, that it's almost impossible to keep the weight off, thats why the Op is a must op for me.

I find it interesting how we seem to have been put on different pre-op diets, I would have thought it would have been a standard thing?

Keep going lass, you can do it. :)

I was dreading the milk diet as I don't like milk. My surgeon is Michael Rhodes and he asked for a very low fat diet for 2 weeks.
Feeling a bit better now I've had another look on here. I guess most people question whether they should do it.
Also feeling abit scared about the surgery and how I will feel after.

I was dreading the milk diet as I don't like milk. My surgeon is Michael Rhodes and he asked for a very low fat diet for 2 weeks.
Feeling a bit better now I've had another look on here. I guess most people question whether they should do it.
Also feeling abit scared about the surgery and how I will feel after.
Hun I have to be honest and tell you I am really really worried about the surgery. I know it will enhance my life and add years to it, which is why I am doing it. it's not really a vanity thing for me, but a health thing.
I'm sure once I am in Hospital I will be even more nervous, but needs must.
I'm sure that we will both be fine and that we are worrying over nothing. ;)

Hi, I'm on a pre op diet at the minute and like you, I thought, well if I can stick to this maybe I can lose weight without the operation. But I know full well that the only reason I'm able to stick to this diet is because I have an end date. My operation is on the 6th of Jan and if I didn't have that deadline I know I would have just gone completely nuts this Christmas and eaten everything in sight like I usually do. But because I know this won't be forever, I'm able to stick to it. Plus I'm paranoid that I will ruin any chance of having the operation by eating the wrong things. But I know in my heart that I couldn't keep up the diet without an ending in sight.

I think everyone goes through this so it's normal for you to think that you can do it without surgery.

I wish you the best of luck.

it isnt really the short term thing, 10 years ago i lost 6 stone was in the weight watchers mag the works, 10 years later was 12 stone heavier......
creeping weight coming on, buying "one more" size up and thats it !!!!
I tried everything yo yoing for years, being ill, heart problems, lost self confidence and respect....
I may be worried about the op but at least itll be weight lost for good and me not having the option to fall into the old routine.
as your hubby says it really is down to you but think about the pros and cons, your previous diets, eating history and how you really feel before making any decisions.
your doing this for you, its you who needs to be happy with it. xxx

god deep for me innit....

I felt the same during the pre-op and I was very very nervous but when I got the hospital and was sat around with hubby waiting for my time to go down to surgery I became almost other-wordly calm, which shocked me lots. Even with that feeling I was sat there saying over and over "there is NO way I can do this without the surgery, I HAVE to have this surgery"...tis a wierd thing. I was glad that I wasnt feeling panicky as I would probably have ran straight out of there lol
Here I am 2 months out and am only 5lbs away from 50lbs lost and I dont look back once and I am THRILLED that I went through with it, though I have a bypass and not a band so I dont know if I can really comment, but you have to do what is best for you.
I wouldnt give the gift of my new lifestyle up for anything and I bet you wont either if you go through with it.
Good luck either way xx
Steph xx

These are very normal thoughts. I think we have all had them. But I can say to you that I definitely do not regret my decision.

i had my op on 19th oct and i thought the same as you. i really enjoyed my preop diet and the weight fell off, i thought wow i can do this myself i dont need surgery , but that little voice in my head said here we go again ive heard all this before MANY times and every time its ended in tears and another couple of st heaver till the next fab easy diet which i will keep to , if it was that easy none of us would be here. i lost 4st on SW and really belived id lose the rest and never put it back on ha ha ha lost 4 gained 8 wat can i say. a bypass is NOT the easy option if youd have seen me throwing up all xmas eve youd realise that( small pice of meat didnt agree with me) but i am so glad ive had it done and if i had to go back in time knowing everything pitfalls as well yes id do it again no hesitation. so if you do have it good luck to you im sure you wont regret it . if you dont i sincerly hop you find a diet that you can really keep and keep it off ............kath x

I felt the same during the pre-op and I was very very nervous but when I got the hospital and was sat around with hubby waiting for my time to go down to surgery I became almost other-wordly calm, which shocked me lots.

I was exactly the same. The two weeks prior to my op I was quite a wreck, crying and arguing with my Mum which was very unlike me. However on the day I was fine, in a strange way I was actually quite excited. I knew that I couldn't do it any other way because I had tried many, many times before so I knew that the op was the best thing for me. The only time I do remember having an attack of nerves was as I was in theatre, just before they put me to sleep. I remember thinking 'well this is it, this is your last chance to tell them to stop' The next thing I remember is waking up with a big smile on my face knowing I had made 100% the right decision. And now, 17 months on I am so glad every day that I made that decision...it's the best one I ever made!

xxx

Hey Stripytop i can totally empathasise with what you are going through hun as i know everyone else whos had whichever op can, its a really big thing and you have to be sure you are making the right decision. I also know that if i could have done this i wouldnt have needed the op but i have tried so many times now and failed, i was fine walking down to theatre but when i got down there the nerves started i even remember being nearly in tears as they give me my mask next thing i remember i was waking up in HDU. I havent had any pain in connection with my op at all, the only time i got upset is when i saw my hubby. Im 2 weeks post op now and i wouldnt change a thing, its taking a while to adjust to the portions and what i can eat but other than that i feel fantastic and dont regret my decision at all.

I hope you reach the right decision for you i can only speak for myself here but i had doubts just like you but i had to remember the end goal i needed which is to be healthier than i am now:) Good luck with what ever you decide to do, by the way where in norfolk are you?

Sharon xx

I agree the feelings are normal. But remember the liver shrinking diet is just that and meant to be short term because at the end of the day it isn't often a nutritionally viable diet for the long term.

You decided to have surgery because that was what was best for you - nothing has really changed - just normal pre-op collywobbles

Good luck Angela

I know what ur going through...honest!!! cried the nite b4 op cos thought i was being really selfish.......what if something went wrong etc i have 3 kids, but im glad i went through with it!!!!
Had it done 4 weeks ago...felt fine the next day drinking no probs, went home the day after op and back to normal duties within a week....took 2 weeks to feel 100% even though my scales arent registering much change my clothes feel a bit looser and i have more energy!!
Everyone gets scared im sure, its the fear of the unknown, but honest its fine. (and im not brave)
-x-

i had a bypass and i know its different from what ur havin but i went through the same thoughts, if i can lose weight now why do i need the op, but i knew i only followed it thru because of my op, and i even thought of pulling out, but i stayed strong and knew that my bypass would be the best for me, and after i had the op, i wont lie, i totally regretted it and it now only 4 weeks post op im beginning to like it and feel more better.

if ur payin for this urself and ur not 100% sure why dont u put it off for a month but only do it if u want to and u can seperate ur nerves from how u trully fell.

hope u find the answer u want hun xx

Back