• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

second thoughts

tonellie

hi i had a gastric band 4 yrs ago
lost 5 stns i am 18 stn now my surgeon
said he thought it was time to consider a bypass
i jumped at the chance went for my pre op 2 wks ago
just waiting for a date .Now im having second thoughts
because of some of the horror stories i have read on the internet my surgeons name is mr david galloway
i no he is one of the best my op would be done in gart navel hospital in glasgow just looking for some advice
and to no if you wake up with a load of tubes in you

Well I didn't, no drain, only had drip in my arm no catheter either at my hospital, Sunderland Royal. Go for it get more weight off before the Nhs decide to stop funding these ops some areas are not funding some patients and personally i was in no position to be able to go private. xx

Go for it, this is also your surgeons advice by the sound of it. Like Chrisa, woke up with only an I. V. Drip to keep hydrated & to push the painkillers, this was removed as soon as I was tolerating fluids within 24 hrs.
Read the stories on this site, they are honest, up t date and hopefully put your mind at rest. Everyone gets the last minute coley wobbles its only natural - bet u did before your band. Look how positive that has been for you. Wishing you well, whatever your decision x

Go for it or you'll regret it. You only ever hear about the bad things in the press, never the good and you've only got to read on here how many people have brilliant sucesses. I for one wouldn't change a thing. Only regret is that I didn't do it 10 years ago.

Kate x

At the end of the day it's a decision only you can make, but I think we all get second thoughts as the op becomes a tangible thing.

As has already been said, you only read the scary stories in the press and not about the 100's of ops that people just sail through.

I had a few issues in the beginning with my op, but would not change it now.

Regarding tubes etc, every hospital is different. I had a drain and a tube through my nose into my stomach which is standard practise for the hospital I was at - I was more uptight about the nose tube than anything else and really really worried about it, but in all honesty I was hardly aware of it and it was taken out on the second day.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

as i posted in other post to you everyone is different and everyone has different situations if your surgeon is recomending the surgery to you he is doing it for a reason not just because he has a spare £10k+ he wants to use up as he will probably have a waiting list as long as your arm looking and hoping for the op
i had a few problems after my surgery but that was me it doesnt mean your going to have the same or worse it just means you have to be aware of them and that it could but that doesnt mean it will
as for tubes i had a drip to stop me being dehydrated and a drain which wasnt a problem to me i had as much pain relief as i wanted and when i wanted
i did have a few problems but nothing i would use negativly to stop other people having op
because of them in the first few day i thought what have i done but now 2 weeks after my op im glad i did it and i have no regrets in doing so i know i have a long way to go but i will get there slow but sure and this time the weight will stay off

hi i had a gastric band 4 yrs ago
lost 5 stns i am 18 stn now my surgeon
said he thought it was time to consider a bypass
i jumped at the chance went for my pre op 2 wks ago
just waiting for a date .Now im having second thoughts
because of some of the horror stories i have read on the internet my surgeons name is mr david galloway
i no he is one of the best my op would be done in gart navel hospital in glasgow just looking for some advice
and to no if you wake up with a load of tubes in you
I am 5 weeks post op all you have is the lines in to give you fluid and pain relief and my surgeon also put a cathetar in but not all do. I had morphine during surgery and paracetamol after and didn't any once I came home 2 days later. The only pain that I had was the wind pain but once you walk around for bit it wares off. I am 2lbs off 4 stone down and it's the best thing iv'e ever done. Good luck what ever decision you make will be the right one for you.

thank you for your support and taking the time to reply
i am maby having the jitters because my mum died on January i will probs go through with it.I no there is some people who dont even get on the waiting list
so in that regard im lucky and if i change my mind i wont get another chance and i have lost 5 stn after my last op so it should be safer .as you probably no you concentrate on the bad stories i will keep youse updated on my progress and thanks again for the help

Back