• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Fluids....

funky24

hi i am 10 weeks and 2 days out now from bypass/gallbladder removal! And i still really struggle with fluids, i get on average 1 liter, sometimes less, i hardly wee! I have a bottle with me all the time, i didnt really drink that much pre op either, really struggling...how can i get my fluids up pls?! or just any words, or advice :) thankyou xxxx

hi i am 10 weeks and 2 days out now from bypass/gallbladder removal! And i still really struggle with fluids, i get on average 1 liter, sometimes less, i hardly wee! I have a bottle with me all the time, i didnt really drink that much pre op either, really struggling...how can i get my fluids up pls?! or just any words, or advice :) thankyou xxxx

Talking here as the worlds worse drinker & has been a major issue for me for most of my adult life. I used to hate plain tap water & I wasn't a big fizzy juice fan but ironically loved soda water. I simply did not feel thirsty and as a result forget to drink. Hubby would even phone me during the day to tell me to go & drink... How sad is that!.
I now have an app to remind me to drink and i take in 2.5 litres daily consisting mostly of milk, tea, coffee and I have even learned to drink tap water without heaving! I can't tolerate NSA juices as they aggravate the reflux so I am very limited as to what I can drink. The one thing I have discovered is that if I don't drink at least this amount I will stall in my weight loss & now I don't feel as hungry either.
X

thanks so much for your reply, can i ask what the app is called please? xx

It's called daily water ... I only use the free ver. You can programme in how many glasses per day, how much fluid a glass contains and for me more importantly it has a schedule that chimes to tell me to drink ... Annoyingly convenient because my iPad rings and next thing I know is a cup of tea is shoved in my hand by hubby lol x

Hey Lisa, is it that you are still finding it physically hard to drink? Or is it the remembering? You know me, I can drink 3 litres in a day no problem. I still write down everything I eat and drink, and at what time. Definitely have a chat on Tues with the dietician, they might have some tips

One word - hot drinks. I still struggle badly with cool fluids but a hot Vimto goes down easy. Sounds like otherwise you're doing the right things.

Talking here as the worlds worse drinker & has been a major issue for me for most of my adult life. I used to hate plain tap water & I wasn't a big fizzy juice fan but ironically loved soda water. I simply did not feel thirsty and as a result forget to drink. Hubby would even phone me during the day to tell me to go & drink... How sad is that!.
I now have an app to remind me to drink and i take in 2.5 litres daily consisting mostly of milk, tea, coffee and I have even learned to drink tap water without heaving! I can't tolerate NSA juices as they aggravate the reflux so I am very limited as to what I can drink. The one thing I have discovered is that if I don't drink at least this amount I will stall in my weight loss & now I don't feel as hungry either.
X

Francis- try Vimto. I find the aspartame based juices caused me reflux and dry throat but those without aspartame such as Vimto and a few others were easier to tolerate.

Hey Lisa, is it that you are still finding it physically hard to drink? Or is it the remembering? You know me, I can drink 3 litres in a day no problem. I still write down everything I eat and drink, and at what time. Definitely have a chat on Tues with the dietician, they might have some tips

fjsinc are you still sipping your water or can you take in more now?

Funky24 I have no advice as I'm just as bad :(

No I don't need to sip, I drink virtually normally. I can't gulp or chug down, as you go expect. And I agree with Yvessa, hot drinks are the way to go. I drink nas ribena warm, and lots of tea and coffee. I've only just being able to drink cold drinks 10 weeks post.

Francis- try Vimto. I find the aspartame based juices caused me reflux and dry throat but those without aspartame such as Vimto and a few others were easier to tolerate.

Thanks for that Yve I will give this a go and let you know how it goes :) xx

I am back to sipping at the moment as I've just had an op. My body seems to have reverted back to previous a little as my portions have shrunk and I actually am not able to eat enough. hoping it gets better soon.

no i dont think its a physical thing as such i cant drink really hot or really cold but if i have room temp its ok, it could be forgetting, its with me all day though but i guess that dont mean im always sipping although it feels like i am lol...i said at the support group but then how would i have time to talk...they all laughed and some one pipes up some might say thats a good thing haha! cheeky :) on the days i am home i may start just having glasses, and making a note of how many i have, and then use a bottle when i am out. Will def speak to team on tuesday though, i wanna do all i can to help the weightloss, thanks for tips every one and see you tuesday fiona xXx

Another thing you can do is to make sure you have half a litre in the morning, half after lunch and half after dinner.

my team only advise 1.5 litres. I drink more due to water retention issues, but 1.5 is better than 1 :) As you get used to it you may find it easier to up it a little more.

I think drinking whole glasses/mugs would be a good way to go. I start the day with a 500ml mug of coffee or tea, its soothing because I do get tight over night. Then throughout the day I try to make sure that I have a drink (300ml-500ml) before every meal (or mini meal), that way it becomes quite an easy task. See you on Tuesday Lisa!

Back