• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Food after surgery

claudiadearman

Hey everyone, I'm currently waiting for my date for surgery and I got thinking about the future, ive read some people say they can't tolerate a lot of food after surgery. People who are out the other side back on regular foods, what are you able to eat?? Can people still eat smaller portions of chicken? Steak? Pasta? Vegetables? Obviously well chewed etc. I'm just trying to get my head around the whole life after surgery as in long term xxxx

I can pretty much eat everything now that I could pre-op, the only think I can't cope with is bread, I can manage half a slice of toast if its cooked to a black crisp lol luckily I like it like that, I have never been much of a meat eater but I can eat chicken and ham, obviously my portions are tiny compared to pre-op but its all good :)

I don't eat thinks like cake biscuits etc and I've never liked chocolate, but I can manage a small square of fudge any more than that and I feel rough.

Everybody is very different to what can can tolerate and manage to eat..some dump easy some don't.
You really do get used to the amounts and limits to foods...it just takes time and patience.
I eat lots of salads now and have to replace meats with fish and cheese.
Breads is a no no..it gets stuck and causes pain,along with anything pastry for me.
But that has don't me a massive favour!...but I am a bit naughty with a biscuit,that's a habit I need to stop :) but I can't eat anything like before or I'll dump.

I can eat absolutely anything, sugary stuff in small amounts. It can make it harder actually - I have to really watch what I eat.

I can eat absolutely anything, sugary stuff in small amounts. It can make it harder actually - I have to really watch what I eat.

Yvessa....can you eat bread ok still?
God at times I wish I could just have a little bit..I do miss it at times,especially when you smell it just baked!

I've heard everyone has a hard time with bread unless toasted to a crisp so was wondering if anyone had tried low fat wraps?? Just wondering xx

Yvessa....can you eat bread ok still? God at times I wish I could just have a little bit..I do miss it at times,especially when you smell it just baked!
yes any bread is fine. Toasted or u toasted. Homemade or store bought.

I can also eat pretty much anything post sleeve. Pasta feels a bit gravelly and I struggled with dry meat early on but otherwise anything just much much smaller amounts!

I am a dumper but I find it's a godsend personally. I can however eat "gummy" sweets so I tend to avoid these for obvious reasons. The only bread I can eat is homemade stuff probably because it doesn't go stodgy and isn't processed. I can only eat half a slice though. Pasta and rice are big no no's they just stick and hurt. I can't tolerate milk at all now either due to lactose intolerance but found soya is a good alternative. All that said I wouldn't change anything for the world

Wow!! Just goes to show how different everyone is!! I'm hoping I'll still be able to eat mainly everything in small amounts but I'm not a big sweet eater or bread. Think id really miss rice and spaghetti xx

like butterfly I can eat pretty much the same foods as before including meats and fish just much smaller portions the only thing I find difficult is bread just bloats me up fresh juices too much sugar I can even have a small shot of gin /whiskey in a tall glass full of ginger ale /tonic on the flat side
have tried a handful of chips but made me feel funny and a swig of coke....never again I felt like a space cadet all over the place deffo will swerve that!

I am pretty lucky, I can eat everything but in smaller quantities :) there's the odd rare occasion bread disagrees with me but I'm learning which types are better than others.

It's a little bit of a double edged sword, I'm lucky I haven't had to cut anything out and haven't struggled with dumping but on the other hand I'm scared I don't have the barriers to eating 'bad' things and could easily slip back into old habits :(

I still eat cheese infact I find it great for a quick protein shot, as for pasta I've always hated it so can't comment on that, there are things I don't eat now but thats due to choice mainly and they are things that are high but empty calories like cakes biscuits pastry etc

Back