• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Stoopid questions????

Chuffy_29

I'm a bit "anal" about doing things and really like lots of info before i make a decision. I think after some consideration gastric sleeve is the best surgery for me (don't like the thought of dumping on bypass and really don't fancy the faff of band fills).
I have been reading everyone's posts (and adding some comments) but i have some questions that i think are probably really stupid but would appreciate some answers.

Once the surgery is done and i have gone through the first couple of days can i eat the following:
Homemade smooth vege soup
Milk

Then after the first week or so can i add
Pureed meat with veges
and by meat i mean chicken, steak, mince?

Finally once i am eating "normal" baby sized portions can i have all types of meat (i.e add pork products) and veges
Will i be able to eat bread? What about rice and pasta?

I'm just thinking about eating family meals and what i can include in my plates.

Thanks for any advice.

hi, I've had the sleeve 6 months ago.
i had soup for 3 weeks (I'm not a cook so i had Heinz soup watered down at first) also ice cream with spoon of slimfast in it.
then 3/4 weeks sloppy "mash potatoes, cream cheese, whizzed vedge, weetabix, etc".
after that it's trial and error.
i have dumped a couple of times, but not because of what i ate, it was because i ate to fast.
now i can eat anything, but not much of it.
hope this helps.

forgot to say you can have toast, i'm not a lover of pasta or rice so i have a couple of chips instead.
start of with the softer meats "chicken etc".

Rice and pasta is fine, just in small amounts and cooked properly.

Although you may like meat now, you might not like it after. Your tastes do change. I was the biggest carnivore going, now I can't stomach much meat or sea-foods.

I was told to stay away from bread but can have toast now.

The timescales are set by your own team and are all different.

You can still dump on a sleeve. I'm lucky, I don't but I'm acting as a mentor to someone who dumps very easily on sweet/fatty foods with the sleeve.

We're all different and I have had to change the foods I eat accordingly. But stick to the 'rules' and the results will come. But it's not easy and requires loads of will-power.

I used to love meat but find I don't always tolerate it now, especially chicken. I also find that I like more veggie foods than I used to!!

It truly is hit and miss!! I have good days and bad!!!!

I have a sleeve as part of my DS.

I was on fluids for 2 weeks then sloppies for 2 then soft food for 2 - liquid medications for the first 4 weeks - and need at least 2 litres of other fluids a day.

I used to be able to eat the cheaper cuts of meat but can't now - probably more to do with my manky teeth than my stomach cos of chewing everything - if it goes "pappy" it just sits in the sleeve and makes me feel sick.

As a DSer the 100gm protein daily goes in first and the carbs third!! - I can eat a very small amount of pasta - and as I can't stand the smell of rice cooking I avoid it!!

Chicken and fish go down best - but I have lamb, beef and pork - though pork has always been a problem with me - had an intolerance as a child and it depends on the day whether I want it or not.

Have become a fussy eater whereas before I ate owt!! And my tastes have changed - nothing very sweet and curry has a diabolical effect on my DS bit!!

So I eat normally but protein first and in very small amounts

Good luck with your research

xx

Darn about the curry bit...I love all types of curry but i did suspect a sleeve might take offence to them! Seems like doing the protein first would be good as it fills you up for longer with smaller amounts i think. I don't mind mashy foods ( i do nick the baby's dinner if he doesn't want any more). I feel a little better about things knowing there is no definitive answer and that i am not being unrealistic about eating liquids, purees and mush! Thanks everyone.

Back