• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

" FOOD-AWARENESS"...

markelsie

I'm currently just over 4 weeks post-op following my by-pass and have all in all been doing very well moving from fluids onto puree's and soon to be on lumpy foods...I'm the type of person who likes to review how it has all gone so far...And already I have arrived at how much the old mind plays in all of this journey...One area I have been trying hard to accept now is "how little" I can now digest as even 1/2 a kiddie meal or WW meal is like munching through a 32oz steak feast...For donkey's years my mind has allowed me to consume what I like BUT now with my reduced pouch boy is it hard...Again that's where the brain retraining come in for me and simply telling myself to accept this is now going to be the way......
Question for ALL of you much further down the "change-Road" than me....Do your taste buds change???....do you enjoy food in a different way now????....Does the bloating and fullness change???...

I do accept change as I would not have had my op if not BUT I just need a little reassurance at the moment....
Mark:confused:

I find now that when I am 'full' it's a pain in the chest rather than a big belly feeling full!

Whereas before I used to gorge and gorge and then not be able to move because I felt full or I wanted to sleep! Now, I have to rest a little, then it's carry on as before!

Unfortunately shopping trips I have become very 'aware' of large people, like myself (or what I must have looked like), but who are scanning through the cake section etc. I think I must be very unkind, hypocritical or caring, I don't know, as I just want to go up to them and tell them that that's where I started! And I also think what did other people think when they saw me piling up the trolley with cakes, sweets and curries!

I find now that when I am 'full' it's a pain in the chest rather than a big belly feeling full!

Whereas before I used to gorge and gorge and then not be able to move because I felt full or I wanted to sleep! Now, I have to rest a little, then it's carry on as before!

Unfortunately shopping trips I have become very 'aware' of large people, like myself (or what I must have looked like), but who are scanning through the cake section etc. I think I must be very unkind, hypocritical or caring, I don't know, as I just want to go up to them and tell them that that's where I started! And I also think what did other people think when they saw me piling up the trolley with cakes, sweets and curries!

mixman your not by yourself on that front i think a lot of it is about self realisation and acceptance. I have to resist the urge to run upto people and say you know you dont have to be like that.

I'm currently just over 4 weeks post-op following my by-pass and have all in all been doing very well moving from fluids onto puree's and soon to be on lumpy foods...I'm the type of person who likes to review how it has all gone so far...And already I have arrived at how much the old mind plays in all of this journey...One area I have been trying hard to accept now is "how little" I can now digest as even 1/2 a kiddie meal or WW meal is like munching through a 32oz steak feast...For donkey's years my mind has allowed me to consume what I like BUT now with my reduced pouch boy is it hard...Again that's where the brain retraining come in for me and simply telling myself to accept this is now going to be the way......
Question for ALL of you much further down the "change-Road" than me....Do your taste buds change???....do you enjoy food in a different way now????....Does the bloating and fullness change???...

I do accept change as I would not have had my op if not BUT I just need a little reassurance at the moment....
Mark:confused:

mark my taste buds have changed immensly. i now only eat food that is going to satisfy my tastebuds as i can only eat such a small portion i make sure that whatever i eat i enjoy.

I think i was about 4 months out when i had a OMG moment of thats it this really is for life even when im smaller i will never eat a proper meal(as such) again. I was sat in a busy reaturant with people eating big platefuls of food and i had had half a starter of mussles and i was done.

whilst everyone around me was still eating and drinking i remember looking around at all the different foods and thinking but hey you know what there isnt anything that i cant eat apart from high fat and sugar foods so from now on im going to make sure that whetever i eat i enjoy. I also realised that i can gauge how much is enough without having pain to make me realise that i was full so i really do enjoy my meals and feal satisfied without being in any discomfort.

Part of the way i did that was what ever i put on my plate i then halved and if once i had eaten that i then had hald of what i had put on the other plate invariably by that time i was usually thinking actually i really have had enough so stopped there without any discomfort. Im also lucky as i seem to get hiccups round the same time again not painful or unpeasent just my pouch saying im nearly full so no more thanks or else im going to hurt you.

Hope my experiance has helped reasure you a little you will be an oldtimer before you know it and because of all the benifits WLS brings for most your mind will be preoccupied with other stuff rather than food.

My taste buds changed I loved tuna pre op hated it post op but now 8 months down the line(thats gone quick) I can eat tuna again

Back