• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Food lodged in throat

LivinALoveStory

last night I ate mash with a dairylea cheese mixed together ,I've got mash stuck in my throat(very uncomfortable)haven't been able to eat anything today,does anyone know how I could dislodge it? I have tried drinking cups of tea,hot water, coffee, tried coughing, thanks

Last edited:
If you can't cough it up, it's more than likely stuck in your trachea as opposed to your oesophagus. Get yourself off to A&E and they will probably have to use suction to get it out. Your at risk of pneumonia or some other chronic lung infection if you can't dislodge it yourself xx

What surgery have you had?

Sounds a bit odd if the food is still physically stuck?

If it's in danger of blocking your airways ( if in throat ), A&E !!!

Are there any other ways I could dislodge it? Don't really want to go to A&E, my breathings fine just uncomfortable and grumbles when I swallow :(

I'm not a doctor, so I don't know. If drinking and coughing hasn't moved it, I don't know what will. You could try ringing your bariatric team if they have a 24hr out of hours number, and see what they say?

a dose of fizzy drink may also help to dislodge it due to the gas and the bubbles

I've been drinking cups of tea, had 3 teaspoons of jelly which seemed to go down ok? Not sure if that's because it turns to liquid? Still feels like there's something stuck,going to wait it out and try and see the doctor tomorrow..

Are you sure it's not just sore and swollen?

When was your op? It is possible it could be inflamed from tubes down your throat during surgery and that eating something has made it sore?

First port of call is your provider - give them a call to discuss it with them.

Could it be the stomach acid rising up the pipe? I had a very bad reflux and it felt like food being stuck, but it was stomach acid burning. Try to chew some indigestion tablets (Bisodol or something). But it would be best if you spoke to your provider, they do have the 24 hour help line so use it.

Back