• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

For the post-oppers to help us pre-oppers

Tracey ( eyore)

Hi Guys i was wondering if the post-oppers could give 3 pieces of advice to us pre-opers what would it be ????

lt doesnt matter what area the advice is eg, food, clothes, moods,etc

Don't expect to be running around within days of your op
It took me 10 weeks before I felt back to myself

Drink as much as possible
I found and still find straws help you to sip and not gulp and fluids go in easier

Don't feel guilty that you can't do every thing you want to do. If you feel like you need a nap have a nap. Self indulge for a while if you can't put yourself first for a few weeks no one eles will.

I couldnt pick just 3 pieces of information, What has helped me immensly is research and peoples experiences on here, I listened, took note and watched what people wrote and how other people responded with their replies and how things panned out for them etc.

I would have been lost without the valuable information and knowledge of fountain on this site. HTH

All the best - MeJulie x x

That is brilliant Wendy... great advice which I will be following... I feel that I have learned so much from this website... an excellent way to air any concerns and anxieties and many of my fears have been 'put to bed' through the discussions on here... I look forward very much to being there to help people through in the future.

Sincerest thanks and much love xxx

1. dont be scared.

2. do as your told at all times this is a tool not a magic wand

3. live your life to the full BALLS OUT 2nd chances aren't given to everybody

Number 1)Agree with Julie. ASK,ASK,ASK no matter how silly it may seem. Its def how i got to where i am today

Number 2) Take your prescribed medication its prescribed for a reason

Number 3) ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY your new life in a slimmer more confident body. Surgery is a tool to help us get out of the mess we made of our bodies but using your band,sleeve or bypass as your control tool will let you enjoy food and your new life without the worries of before xx

Last edited:
Hi guys. Here's my 3 pearls of wisdom (or not as the case may be).

We are all different and therefore our weight loss rate will also be different - this is a lifestyle change not a competition.

Follow your wls team's advice - call them - that's what they are there for - make sure that you have all the info on your surgery and diet before you leave the hospital - so that you know exactly what is required of you and what you can expect of your team.

Chew, Chew, Chew and eat slowly - I still have trouble with this one - but boy does it make a difference.

Hope this helps!

i like this thread its given loads of advice and reassurance, i simply find this site BRILLIANT and i actually find it help s me stick to my diet to which is a bonus, i enjoy reading evryones posts as i can take some sort of snippets of info from them, soooooo its a big thankyou from me xx

For bypassers -
SIP SIP SIP (all day)
Chew chew chew (when on solids)
and buy glycerine suppositories when constipated!!!

1) Follow the rules, they are written for a reason.

2) Avoid eating crap, yes, you can get away with it for the first 4-5 months and still lose weight, but after that you're in for trouble and bad habits are hard to break.

3) Learn to listen to your tummy PRE op. Use the time before your surgery to start listening to your body, learn what hunger is, what head hunger is, and what fullness feels like.

4) (Sorry) Tackle your food triggers PRE op. Whether it is emotional, smoking, social, portion sizes, TOTM etc, work on techniques to master these as soon as you can, try avoidance and distraction and just learn to understand how your head affects your tummy.

I could go on and on.

suppositieries

Oh Yes a must :rolleyes:
most people will get constipated even with all the drinking that you do

Oh my word, I hope there's an alternative to that!

NO WAY could I use suppositeries! :eek:

I'm an extremely squeamish ex-nurse!:eek:

1) Follow the rules, they are written for a reason.

2) Avoid eating crap, yes, you can get away with it for the first 4-5 months and still lose weight, but after that you're in for trouble and bad habits are hard to break.

3) Learn to listen to your tummy PRE op. Use the time before your surgery to start listening to your body, learn what hunger is, what head hunger is, and what fullness feels like.

4) (Sorry) Tackle your food triggers PRE op. Whether it is emotional, smoking, social, portion sizes, TOTM etc, work on techniques to master these as soon as you can, try avoidance and distraction and just learn to understand how your head affects your tummy.

I could go on and on.

Shelley, I totally agree with what you say. It makes complete sense.
But what's TOTM? Am I being thick?

time of the month sorry.

To avoid constipation and diarroeah, take a teaspoon or two of benefibre every day, and drink plenty of water. Benefibre is a godsend post op, keeps you regular whichever way you go, and is tasteless and flavourless, so you just mix it into a drink.

time of the month sorry.

To avoid constipation and diarroeah, take a teaspoon or two of benefibre every day, and drink plenty of water. Benefibre is a godsend post op, keeps you regular whichever way you go, and is tasteless and flavourless, so you just mix it into a drink.

Thanks Shel. I WAS being thick! But I'm putting it down to lack of munching! :rolleyes:

Where do you get Benefibre? It sounds marvellous and much preferable to suppositeries!

My 3 points have probably already been mentioned but I will repeat them anyway:
  1. Don't compare yourself to others. We all got in this situation in different ways/timescales so we will take different routes and times to get out of it. You may well be better at some things and worse at others. Don't worry, you WILL achieve your goals as long as you stick to the rules.
  2. Despite the good advice you will get here, do what you are told by your provider. They have your medical history and are the professionals.
  3. You will get advice from "well meaning friends", like "Don't you think you have lost enough weight?". YOU will know when you have reached your goal. Don't be swayed.
I will probably think of another 3 once I have posted this. There are so many tips to pick up.
xx

thanks guys these are all great be interesting to see what others say xxx

Charis, you can get it in chemists and some supermarkets. Its normally with the bowel medicines.

Back