• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

frantic

julieann

hi all, as you may have read on my first posting, i am having my band fitted next thursday at dolan park with mr sigurdsson. the last few weeks have been a real emotional rollercoaster but after reading posts from emma and alice about the problems they are encountering i am really starting to wonder if i have made the right decision. i havent rushed into this and have found this site to be a godsend and i know that there is always a chance with surgery that problems can occur but it really has put the fear of god into me,and not necessarily because of the operation but i think mainly the lack of aftercare. i did have other consultations booked but decided not to go ahead because i felt comfortable with mr sigurdsson and even though i booked with wga i feel slightly annoyed that maybe they didnt even try to offer the aftercare package with them. i'm sorry to keep going on but i am sooo confused at the moment and perhaps need reassurance from others who have had bands with mr sigurdsson and fills with no problems at all

Sorry to hear you are so worried, I can't advise as I had mine on NHS but I am sure someone can help with your worries.

I hope you still decide to go ahead...its worth it in the long run.

Hi julieann,

I am so sorry to have scared you so much.

The vast vast majority of people with gastric bands encounter no problems and have a much smoother ride than emma or I have experienced. Alliecat and Lovebug both had their bands the same week as I did and they have both had a really smooth ride.

One thing I would really stress though is that the WGA package is lacking by not offering aftercare. I strongly believe (but this is only my opinion) that a good aftercare programme is essential to success with the band. Some people manage to get this through their GP but I think this is a postcode lottery. I would highly recommend the WLS Group for their aftercare package. I paid £699 for a year with them. It's not just about the included fills - it's having someone who knows you and cares what happens to you at the end of the phone. I see them every fortnight and speak to them a few times each week. And they told me last week that they are putting a hold on my package until I get better so I don't lose out on the fills etc once my band is working. So effectively, right when i need them the most, they are doing it for free. I am so pleased with the support I have from them.

So sorry to worry you. It's a major step, bariatric surgery, and I think it's healthy to have a wobble and to question if it's right for you. It is, after all, a last resort procedure. But speak to the people who have had a good experience. Ema and I are the minority.

Good luck,

Alice xx

private companies are bad on after care research them ! a few companies ill not name has very bad after care, ask them what after care is involved in your package b4 you hand over any cash.

Last edited:
I think Alice says it perfectly. Aftercare is really important and you don't have to have it from the people doing your op, so if it helps then book your aftercare now so you know it's in place post op.

Complications do happen, it's a risk you take. However if you have good aftercare in place then you know that they will get you through it. Emma's and Alice's problems are horrid, and etremely unpleasant for them, but they are not life threatening and they will be resolved with the help of their aftercare.

I agree with the above posts, try and get it sorted before you go for surgery and it will ease your mind. We have to know both sides of the story on this forum to be able to make the right decision, the folk who have had no problems out weigh the folk that did and you have to look at both sides....((hug)) to you I know it's scarey but you are making a decision to improve your health and well being.....xx

hi all, as you may have read on my first posting, i am having my band fitted next thursday at dolan park with mr sigurdsson. the last few weeks have been a real emotional rollercoaster but after reading posts from emma and alice about the problems they are encountering i am really starting to wonder if i have made the right decision. i havent rushed into this and have found this site to be a godsend and i know that there is always a chance with surgery that problems can occur but it really has put the fear of god into me,and not necessarily because of the operation but i think mainly the lack of aftercare. i did have other consultations booked but decided not to go ahead because i felt comfortable with mr sigurdsson and even though i booked with wga i feel slightly annoyed that maybe they didnt even try to offer the aftercare package with them. i'm sorry to keep going on but i am sooo confused at the moment and perhaps need reassurance from others who have had bands with mr sigurdsson and fills with no problems at all

Hi I was banded 10 days ago by Mr Sigurdsson at Dolan Park, I know its early days but I havent had any probs. I didnt have the aftercare package but I am seeing a dietician through the NHS and will find out on Monday next week if they are going to provide me with my fills also.

I understand your worry and antisipation but this is all normal in taking such a big step in your life.

Dee xx

i didnt have your surgeon and i was nhs but im 8wks post op now and have had no problems at all and can honestly say its the best thing i ever done just to balance those that have had some problems good luck with your surgery and everyone is here if you need us its also very common to feel panicky b efor hand everyone does for many different reasons xx

thankyou to you all for your kind words, its so comforting to know that there is plenty of support on this forum. i already have the telephone number for the wls group and i think that i will contact them over the next few days, i think i just felt it a bit off putting as i would have to travel quite a long way to get my fills in comparison to getting them done in cambridge which is close to me but without aftercare, but i suppose if it puts my mind at ease, the wls group aftercare package would be better. my god dont i complicate things, i just think i will be so glad when its this time next week and it will all be over!

Back