• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

From the begning to the end... what did u all had to go through.

farzu

Hello everyone,
Please share your journey from the begning to the end on how did u managed to get the OP done. From the GP to the OP, how long did it take and what are the ups and down's you had to go through to achieve you final goal? Even if you have not reached there yet, please share with us.
Love
Farzu

October 2006 - Saw GP about band surgery, was referred to weight management
December 2006 - December 2007 - under weight management on British Heart Foundation Diet with fortnightly counselling and diet education sessions with bariatric co-ordinator, who eventually applied for funding.
January 2008 - Funding granted, referred to Spire Macclesfield
April 2008 - Saw surgeon for first appointment, recommended bypass surgery, researched and agreed, advised surgery in approx 3 months
June 2008 - Received date for surgery, and 2 pre-op assessments
July 16 2008 - Bypass surgery
April 2009 - Reached weight loss goal of BMI 24.

Ups and downs - ups are too numerous to count, there are so many! Health benefits, increased confidence, better marital relationships, more energy, pregnancy!

Downs - bit of an emotional rollercoaster pre-op and in the early days. No others, best thing i ever did.

58.gif

December 2006 - December 2007 - under weight management on British Heart Foundation Diet with fortnightly counselling and diet education sessions with bariatric co-ordinator, who eventually applied for funding.
April 2008 - Saw surgeon for first appointment, recommended bypass surgery, researched and agreed, advised surgery in approx 3 months

Ups and downs - ups are too numerous to count, there are so many! Health benefits, increased confidence, better marital relationships, more energy, pregnancy!

Downs - bit of an emotional rollercoaster pre-op and in the early days. No others, best thing i ever did.

Thats a long old journey Shelbell but look at the results. You look wonderful.

Hi Farzu. It varies so much from PCT to PCT - I was a year from first appt with surgeon to surgery - however several months of that could have been spared had the hospital admin system not screwed up my funding application with my PCT and I had to basically apply for the funding myself but I got a positive answer within 48 hours. I think that from reading stuff on here, once you have the funding, things seem to happen fairly fast providing you are fit for surgery and dont put on huge amounts of weight between consultations! I would figure on 8 - 12 months providing everything runs smoothly but dont be afraid to keep calling the hospital and making a noise - gets things done quicker.

Good luck!

Hi Caroline, Thanks for this important info. Can you please give me some info on How to apply for funding myself? It will help me a lot.

Hi farzu, I went to gp in july 08, had group meeting to discuss different ops in oct 08. Saw surgeon in dec 08 and had pre op dec 08. Then I got forgotten by the surgeons secretary so should have had op in feb 09. Eventually got date for 20th april 09 and that got changed to 1st may 09. Got ready for theatre and then surgeon cancelled op because there were no beds in icu for me so i'm supposed to be having my op next monday 18 may. Fingers and everything else crossed lol. Not much to tell you really untill next week. Good luck.

Awww... thats a real hassle isn't it? All the best and fingers crossed for you. keep me updating.

Saw my Dr end of August 08 and asked to be refered. Had appointment at Walsall Manor to see Dr Hartland beginning of November 08. Saw anethsatist end of November 08 had op 2nd Jan 09 (could have had it before xmas had a choice of dates) 16 weeks all in all from Dr to Op

I went privately - from the open evening until the surgery approx 12 weeks - If I have waited for the NHS approx 2 years

Yes i am considering bypass surgery as its hassle free. I have researched online and learned a lot about it but this GP is ignoring me. Can anyone please tell me how to apply for funding myself?

Back