• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Problems After Surgery (Paid for Privately)...did you go to the NHS?

Deets

Hello all,

a question for those of you who've had weight loss surgery of any kind...if you had any problems, did you go to your NHS hospital or make an appointment to see your surgeon?

Anyone know how the NHS handle people who've had wls surgery privately?

Oh I am going privately and I never thought of that!!! Eek. Have to think positive as I am sure everything will be fine.

i know i just thought of it! I suppose with the band you have your after care in terms of fills/de-fills etc but im looking to get the sleeve...and abroad!

I know alot of people travel a long way (even within the uk) to have their surgery. So if i suddenly had major stomach pain, could i just go to my local hospital and they'd help best they could or what?! :argh:

when are you having your surgery hsmel? and who are you going with?

Hi Deets - I was thinking of going abroad and in fact had several chats with companies offering the service - but to be honest I am too much of a coward so have taken the rather more expensive but 'home' route. I am having my op tomorrow (I am writing this early hours of Monday am) on Tuesday 21st September in Harrow with Shaw Somers.

I have a couple of friends who have had surgery with him and he got me in very quickly (at my request) as I have a holiday planned later in the year and really wanted to use it as recouperation (not till end of November before everyone panics on my behalf!). Just hoping all goes well and aftercare is included in my package i.e. meetings with dietician and bariatric nurse as well as follow up with Mr. Somers. Expensive but hopefully worth the extra reassurance that if anything is amiss the surgeon and his team are only a phone call, or short car ride, away.

If i had any problems i would deffo go to my local hopital. They cant exactly urn you away if your in pain or if something may be life threatening, can they?
I would be completely honest and see if they could help. Try not to worry hun, things will be fine for you, i am 5 days post op from sleeve and feel good (just tired and a lil sore). xxxxxx

thanks Ladies :D

hsmel good luck for today!! will keep a look out for your posts :)

And glad everything is going well Emma Louise!

i cant wait to have mine done...i have no paitience hehe

yes i think if you are in pain then you should go to your local hospital or gp, even if you are a private patient, i went private 9 weeks ago today and touch wood i havent had any problems up to now
xxx

i would say if you turned up at the local hospiatlwith complications or in pain, they cant refuse you treatment... they may not like it, but they cant say no xxx

all the best for your op x

Hi I live in Milton Keynes and had my bypass done private in Manchester i was told if i had any problems to go to my local hospital and they would contact Manchester.
Hope this is of help.Good Luck.
Charmaine

I can't personally see how anyone can be refused treatment if you are in need... but it's a good point to raise! Thank you..
Love and hugs xxx

I think the NHS would have to treat anyone in the event of an emergency, whether you had the original op done by the NHS or privately.

In terms of general aftercare though, such as dietician appointments, band fills and the like you would be expected to get these done yourself.

Sorry to be the Debbie-Downer BUT ...

If you go abroad for private surgery the NHS has no obligation to treat you back here if there are complications. They would simply do the minimim to make your comfortable. They WILL treat anything that is life threatening though.

If you go private in the UK you get NHS care but you would be asked to re-visit your private provider if possible.

From what I've seen and read, & discussions with Drs I work with, if you paid to have WLS privately abroad & suffer from complications, the majority of NHS surgeons will refuse to treat you, unless what you have is life-threatening. They certainly won't rectify anything for cosmetic reasons, say for example if you get a severe wound infection & end up with really bad scarring. If you pay for WLS privately in the UK, there usually isn't a problem with receiving treatment if complications arise, as it is typically part of the package. It does emphasis how important it is to ensure you are treated by a reputable surgeon & preferably by someone who has been personally recommended.

its not really a matter of wanting them to fix any major f*ckups, just if i have a twinge, will they look at it? If i get really bad heartburn, will they look at it? i've got an appointment with my GP soon so ill ask him too :)

I have faith in the surgeon ive chosen, i have spoken to many many people who have had surgery with him and not one complaint about him or the aftercare, infact, everyone has sung his praises! And even though money is a factor, its not the most important thing.

Just curious...how come the NHS will treat a paitient who've gone private in the UK, but not private abroad? :confused:

Not sure but it's probably that most private surgeons here are also employed by the NHS. They may even have a system to bill them - not sure.

I'm not sure either; one documentary I watched followed the 'medical holiday packages' culture & many UK surgeons felt it was disrespectful to pay for surgery abroad, where many surgeons are not covered by the same insurances & standards here in the UK, but if things went wrong, it was expected that NHS surgeons should use their skills & NHS resources to rectify the problem. I'm not sure if I agree with that sentiment, but hey, don't shoot the messenger! Anyway, all the successful ops aren't newsworthy; it seems only the bad cases make it into the media don't they?

its frustrating really...id love to have this done on the NHS, but with their stupid hurdles, its going to impossible for me (Im a healthy fattie at the moment!)

Would the NHS deny a drug addict treatment? Or a smoker treatment? So why am i denied treatment as a food addict :confused: Just p*sses me off that id need to gain even more weight and then get other illnesses so im considered :( I want to break this cycle before it gets worse.

So until then, its the private route for me (roll on January!)

its frustrating really...id love to have this done on the NHS, but with their stupid hurdles, its going to impossible for me (Im a healthy fattie at the moment!)

Would the NHS deny a drug addict treatment? Or a smoker treatment? So why am i denied treatment as a food addict :confused: Just p*sses me off that id need to gain even more weight and then get other illnesses so im considered :( I want to break this cycle before it gets worse.

So until then, its the private route for me (roll on January!)

I was in the exact same situation. I applied for funding but in the end didn't wait for the decision and went private instead. I'm positive I would have been turned down by the NHS because I have no obese related conditions at all. But, as you said, why wait for them to manifest? I wanted to break the cycle just like you.

Back