• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Fruit Sugars?

Can I just check that the sugar in fruit should be ok for us?

It is only added sugar that is a problem, is that right?

So, fresh orange juice (with no added sugar) would be fine?

Thanks!

I usually drink a glass of unsweetened orange juice a day and did from day 5.

I think its all trial and error, some people may not get on with it.

Hi Jacquie,

Although I am yet to have my bypass, I have been told by my dietician that post-op I can only drink pure fruit juice if it is diluted 50/50 with water as the sugar content is too high..... sorry xxx

Hi Jacquie,

Although I am yet to have my bypass, I have been told by my dietician that post-op I can only drink pure fruit juice if it is diluted 50/50 with water as the sugar content is too high..... sorry xxx

That's exactly the same advice I was given too :D

Fructose (fruit sugar) is still sugar, so could still cause the same risk of dumping: some fruits are very high in natural sugars (you can us Google to find out which ones), although that said natural fruit sugars are still better than refined sugar. I think if you go for NAS options as you suggest for example in orange juice, you may be OK, but I would read the sugar content on the label anyway....they might not be adding more sugar but it still may be really high in these natural sugars....I had a bottle of Tropicana Ornage Juice the other day and was amazed that it had 31g natural sugar content per 100ml bottle (didn't stop my guzzling it but then I'm still pre-op...would really make me have second thoughts post-op though!!!!!! I think this may be one of those things that you are going to have to try & see how you get on.

o thats why i dumped with it then i was not told this so its 50/50 is it : O lol i was on the toilet for half a hour i dont think i will have oj for a while lol

Dilute it mate - I have always been fine with eating fruit and drinking fruit juice, but 12 months out now and Im dumping on it! So if your sensitive - dilute juices and just be wary hun x

You know, I really hate this trial and error way of eating!!!

I like to know the rules and follow them LOL!!

Guess that's 30 years of dieting coming out! LOL!

Hi Jacquie,

I wish I had read this yesterday :doh: as I had 100ml of pure OJ and had my first (and hopefully last :fingerscrossed:) 'dumping'. I felt awful immediately afterwards and had to lie down for 30 minutes.

I tried it again today - this time 50/50 with water and it was fine. :)

Yup it's a 50/50 mix of the old fruit juice. I do it with my orange n mango juice, loses some of the kick but still was okay. However knowing the calorific difference in fruit juice and nas cordial i won't be having any more juice...

I always remember years ago at a well known slimming club i could eat all the fruit i wanted but juice came out of my treats. The 'leader' explained it to me like this: It can take 6 or 7 oranges to get a glass of juice and its drunk with no feeling of fullness, yet there is no way i could sit and eat that many oranges in one go without being full....

Makes a hell of a lot of sense to me..

I can drink orange juice with no problems and can eat any and all fruits without any issue. Every bypasser is different. BTW, I was never advised to dilute juices either. Every surgeon/clinic has their own rules as well.

I was told to dilute any fruit juice with 50% water. As a type II diabetic I was used to reading the labels for sugar content and I was absolutely gobsmacked at the difference in sugar content in each brand. It pays to shop around. I was always told by dieticians, doctors, dentists and weight loss groups to be very careful with fruit juice (fruit was ok) because of the high content of sugar.

Back