• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Funding appointment - what to expect?

Hi everyone, hope people can help.

So, its now a week until my appointment with the consultant at Barnsley Hospital to see if I get the funding for my op. Anyone who has been through this, what kind of thing is it going to entail? Ive been told its 45 minutes, any help people can give would really help me :) xx I'm currently 4 sessions away from finishing the weight management course with Change 4 life so hoping that this wont hinder it too much? xx

I think its different for each place!

I'm at Derby and they wanted to do a three month assessment period whereby they would monitor your diet and weight etc. They said that after this they would decide which waiting list you would go on. Tney also wanted another set of bloods taking.

I personally saw a dietician on the NHS for over three months anyway and they were pleased with my progress.

The surgeon will then write to your PCT to apply for funding and write to you to confirm what has been agreed etc.

Derby have asked I still see the dietician every three months until surgery as i'm not allowed to gain weight on 3 consecutive appointments.

As I said, everywhere is different so I'd advise contacting your local PCT and find out what their conditions for funding are and make sure you have done that :)

thanks natashoorr, i meet my PCT guidelines, got a BMI over 50 and have high blood pressure so thats not a problem. Just not knowing what questions they will ask and things, think its just nerves kicking in to be honest :) xx

I think they want to know is
- Do you snack or comfort eat
- Do you exercise for an hour at least three times a week
- Do you know about the complications/success rates etc.
- Do you eat slowly
- Do you know the difference between hunger and head hunger
- Do you drink lots of fizzy drinks or lots of water?
- Do you buy/cook the food in your house?
- Will you get a lot of support at home/work etc

Things like that really :)

thanks very much, that helps a lot, shouldnt be too difficult then xxx

Just wanted to say good luck with your appt hope all goes well. xx

Let us know how it goes :)

Just wanted to say good luck with your appt hope all goes well. xx

Thanks rickysmrs xx :) Thanks Natashoorr, I will do. Hoping I can get there as I am snowed in today!! :eek:

it was really successful, I'm pleased to report ive got the funding, got to go back to the diet classes and try and lose weight before the surgery, but theyve said its a minimum of 18 weeks but in reality it will be quicker than that. Got to have a full diabetes screening and a sleep aponea test first, then will meet with Dr Ackroyd at the Northern General in Sheffield and then see the consultant again in 3 months for the results and stuff. I feel a bit phased at the minute, dont think its sunk in but im happy and excited about it!! xx :D

So glad you got your funding!! Now your weight loss journey really begins... I wish you lots of luck xxx

well done getting funding xxx if you have sleep apnea it might delay things till your cpap machine gets you sorted out , if not and you have type 2 diabetes that's something we almost all have and they sort you out with meds but won't delay your surgery :) good luck and let us know xx

Back