• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Funding query

suepat10

Hi

I wonder if anyone has been in this position. I have seen the nurse at my surgery today and my BMI is 48.5 - I need to gain 4 kg to reach the magic 50 BMI that my PCT insists on for funding (East Midlands). If accepted my surgery will be at Derby.

Can my GP refer me now and as long as my BMI is 50 when I go to the hospital which is when they decide if they are happy and they will therefore apply for funding then that's ok OR does my BMI have to be 50 at the point the GP contacts the hospital?

I've got an appointment in an hour and a half to see my GP about referring me (my nurse has insisted I keep this appointment as she can see how desperate I am in case this is an option) and the nurse 'hinted' I went with stones in my pockets - obviously she hadn't seen the bag full of stuff I had secreted round my body!

I am going in a bigger coat and heavier shoes but I don't see why he would weigh me again seeing as she just has and I was also weighed at the hospital yesterday - their scales weighed 10kg heavier!

Stick a couple of bags of rice in your drawers and go for it!

Hi,welcome to the site,im pretty sure your bmi has to be the required number at the time of referral xx

Stick a couple of bags of rice in your drawers and go for it!

I may as well do, just about every other item of clothing has something hidden away. I'm going to feel a right twonk if he doesn't weigh me again!

Hi,welcome to the site,im pretty sure your bmi has to be the required number at the time of referral xx

Thank you x

I know that was what the procedure when I was accepted for funding in East Sussex this time last year but was kind of hoping that as the funding application doesn't go in until seen by at the hospital up here then that was when i had to be at it :cry:

I'm worried about exactly the same thing, my BMI met the criteria at the time of my referal, but I've got my group session next week and I'm worried that it might have dropped below the criteria level by then.

I'm worried about exactly the same thing, my BMI met the criteria at the time of my referal, but I've got my group session next week and I'm worried that it might have dropped below the criteria level by then.

Good luck Evenstarr xx

I've just spoken to the lady who runs the support group in Lincolnshire who has advised me to go for the as much ballast as possible and try and insist the GP weighs me.

She has also recommended that once referred I do that at my first hospital appointment too as easier to show a loss after

Hi Evenstarr,

I was reassured a few times on my journey, by my GP who originally referred me and by the bariatric co-ordinator at the Whittington:

-- the only digit that matters is your weight / BMI the day your doctor referred you

After that it really does not matter if even by the time you have your first open day at the hospital or first consultant appointment your weight has dropped -- it might even go in your favour and be viewed as a positive sign that you are serious about losing weight.

Hi,
Same here ... Told that for funding purposes the only time the BMI is very important , is when your being referred by GP. As you know, PCT look at this number to make their decision. I wore heavy flat shoes and heavy clothing, with belt and lots of accessories!! I also slouched when my height was measured!!
This was enough to tip me over into the PCT's minimum BMI criteria!!

Funding was then approved.

At the first group / intro meeting they took measurements again, this is for their record.

When asked, the hospital rep confirmed that loosing weight between now and surgery will show your serious and also makes surgery easier. You will not be declined or turned away if you loose weight on your own.

Finally she begged us not to put on more weight, because this makes surgeons annoyed!!!

Good luck!

ive got to admit i have put on weight since i was 1st referred,surgeon didnt tell me off for this xx

I've been referred to derby too. Do you have any co morbidities? If so your BMI has to be over 45 to qualify for bariatric surgery. So if you have you should qualify :)

I was below bmi required at weight management and the referring doc told me to stop trying to lose weight and keep my bmi up,I was just under and had to resort to a couple of socks full of rice secured in a pantie girdle!Sad I know but my doc said after 2 years of jumping through hoops to miss out for the sake of a couple of pounds would be tragic.If you dont hit the magic number you dont get referred.

I've just had a read of the policy and it says that if you have a BMI between 45 and 50 it should be offered as a first line treatment as long as you have evidenced that you have tried to lose weight and failed over a period of 18 months. It may be worth mentioning to your GP that you've read the policy and you think you qualify anyway for the above reason.

HI Paula

I don't have any comorbidities and my GPs instructions say over 50 without comorbidities. BUT I told him that the hospital and nurses scales had weighed differently so he weighed me again on the 'official' surgery scales and I came in at 50.38 so I have an appointment tomorrow to fill in the funding application forms.

I am over the moon as I had been referred and accepted down in East Sussex last year (I was at the same seminar as Agnes at The Whittington) but had to move away in August.

Big an Bouncy, my nurse said exactly the same as your doctor - pity to lose out for the sake of a few pounds when they can see clearly that this is the only way forward. My doctor turned a blind eye to my winter coat, boots and bulging pockets. In case he weighs me again while completing the forms I now have ankle weights. Just carried them home from town and my arms ache - I should have nipped in to a loo and popped them on!

Thank you Paula. x

Thanks for the very welcome advice :D
And glad to hear things are happening for you now Sue.:553:
Em xxxxx

Back